Halloween Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
My wife and kids serve as my morality police normally. Most of my gorier props remain boxed in the garage for potential future use. As the kiddos get older, more is acceptable and even funny to them. I don't think I was planning on too much macabre this year, anyway, but it is a valid question and one that I think we all have to answer for ourselves. How close COVID hit home to your community or neighborhood might have a bearing, but, in the end, the choice is yours.

·
Crypto Hunter
1,282 Posts
Personally I don't think there will be any Trick or Treating allowed this year and I am NOT setting up a full display just for people to look at from a distant car window.
It is alot of work to set up our yard every October and I'll be damned if I spend hours and break my back if we cannot hand out candy.
Hubby and I will just set up a few inflatables on one side of the house but the huge cemetery, tombstones, dino skeletons and everything else can sit in storage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Personally I don't think there will be any Trick or Treating allowed this year and I am NOT setting up a full display just for people to look at from a distant car window.
It is alot of work to set up our yard every October and I'll be damned if I spend hours and break my back if we cannot hand out candy.
Hubby and I will just set up a few inflatables on one side of the house but the huge cemetery, tombstones, dino skeletons and everything else can sit in storage.
From another perspective, I'll set up regardless. If there is no trick or treating I will reconfigure the porch so you can see it from the road, as you can the graveyard, pumpkin patch, and spider's garden. I've got low power FM and a spooky playlist, so I'll be OK to set up for drive-bys. As a fellow haunter I truly understand the frustration of setting up for no one, but my kids wouldn't forgive me if I didn't, and we get a lot of seasonal traffic anyhow. Without a few of us here in town putting out displays people may have nothing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From another perspective, I'll set up regardless. If there is no trick or treating I will reconfigure the porch so you can see it from the road, as you can the graveyard, pumpkin patch, and spider's garden. I've got low power FM and a spooky playlist, so I'll be OK to set up for drive-bys. As a fellow haunter I truly understand the frustration of setting up for no one, but my kids wouldn't forgive me if I didn't, and we get a lot of seasonal traffic anyhow. Without a few of us here in town putting out displays people may have nothing.
I do synchronized lights and music both with Halloween and Christmas. I also emphasize with set up only to have no one show up. I joined a growing group of light enthusiasts who put the lights back up during this departure from normal.
Come Halloween everything will be back bigger than ever. I see it like any tradition - skip one time and the next time is easier to justify.
The lights are currently running uplifting and patriotic songs also using the FM transmitter which also help with social distancing, etc. By the car horns the community approves.
All that being said I hope trick/treaters hit the neighborhood but if they don't I understand and they can watch from the car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I anticipate that the virus will have a resurgence in the fall, so I don't think there will be any TOT, and since Halloween is not a big thing in my neighborhood (half my neighbors HATE it), I'll be doing indoor decorations only and do some scary baking for myself and my family.

It would be different if I was in a [better] community that was more festive, I'd go full haunt even if the TOT was off. From that perspective, I'd say cemetery themes are still okay, unless you have someone who has actually recently lost loved ones and would be bothered by it living near you. I could see someone who has been recently bereaved not particularly wanting to see graves and skeletons every time they look out the window, but anyone who goes out on Halloween for the festivities is going to expect that sort of thing. I do think that pandemic-themed haunts would be in poor taste, but general graveyard/skeleton stuff still seems fine. If you would rather take another direction, though, go for it! As you say, there are all kinds of themes to use at Halloween.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I anticipate that the virus will have a resurgence in the fall, so I don't think there will be any TOT, and since Halloween is not a big thing in my neighborhood (half my neighbors HATE it), I'll be doing indoor decorations only and do some scary baking for myself and my family.

It would be different if I was in a [better] community that was more festive, I'd go full haunt even if the TOT was off. From that perspective, I'd say cemetery themes are still okay, unless you have someone who has actually recently lost loved ones and would be bothered by it living near you. I could see someone who has been recently bereaved not particularly wanting to see graves and skeletons every time they look out the window, but anyone who goes out on Halloween for the festivities is going to expect that sort of thing. I do think that pandemic-themed haunts would be in poor taste, but general graveyard/skeleton stuff still seems fine. If you would rather take another direction, though, go for it! As you say, there are all kinds of themes to use at Halloween.
What you're saying makes sense. The response is truly situational. In our neighborhood Halloween is a big night with hundreds of kids, so even in the TOT part is canceled, I see the decorating still going on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I decorate for myself, and after that others can enjoy it, if they want. So, whatever happens, i am still decorating outside.

Some people above post about a graveyard disturbing people if a person lost someone to this virus? There are actual graveyards all over the place. Also, the news constantly talks about the virus. I think a Halloween display of a graveyard is small stuff. Me, I am going to add zombie, skeleton, or something, in a, "Biohazard suit". May as well keep with the times. I don't think anyone will be offended. I do it, in a way, to laugh at the situation. Strange times.

People do seem to look for things to get offended by moreso nowadays. I recall in the mid-late 90s, I had some old scarecrows. Straw stuffed in old clothes, used 'em for years, and they were falling apart, so, I strung one up by a leg from a tree near the driveway, had another hanging by it's neck from that same tree, another impaled near the door of the house. The ones hanging from the tree had fake blood, and I think something was stabbed through one, or both of those scarecrow chests. That part of the display came up in conversation last year, due to people being on the news for hanging skeletons and whatever from a tree as a decoration, and people got their panties in a bunch. We were laughing, that nowadays those scarecrows may have been a news story. We just did it, as a send off to the scarecrows, before trashing them, since they were falling apart. No ill intent, just, hey, let's impale this scare crow, hang that one, etc.. Nobody complained, it wasn't featured on the news, none of that. I think one parent said their kids were afraid to walk past it near the driveway at night, on the way to the house.

I think Trick-or-treating will still be going on in many places. I am expecting less, but who knows, it could be more. I don't think many big Halloween events with large gatherings of people will be going on, but who knows, it's 6 months out, just about. I'll still be ready to hand out candy, and I will have something virus related int he decorations.

Heck, you should see one of my masks for when i go to the store. It has skull and crossbones on it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah, it's a tough call as to where things will stand by late October. We're still talking over 5 months away. But then there is the chance for a resurgence of the COVID-19. I suspect that by then people will be ready to celebrate not only Halloween, but the rest of the holiday season, too. I'll be putting my stuff up regardless. 🦇

·
Registered
56 Posts
The debate here is what we do if there is TOT. Normally we have things for the kids to do but I'm trying to redesign to allow for social distancing and less touching of things. We don't do anything scary/gorey anyway so our Atlantis/Merkitty theme this year is still ok.

In New Jersey we are just starting to reopen things as take out/curb service so what it'll look like in October is a big question.

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
2,006 Posts
My cemetery & skeletons will be out regardless. For as many kids that live in my neighborhood, I'm surprised at how few people decorate anyway.
I only get 50 ToTs on a good year, so if our governor (Michigan's resident witch - or should that be spelled with a "B"??) says it's cancelled, then so be it.

·
black light queen
2,541 Posts
I suspect that unless the covid-19 "sh !t" hits the fan, between now & then, everything will be back to normal(ish) ... things appear to be "opening up", so fingers crossed :)

we're in a small city so we've been spared the situation that the big cities have had to deal with ... in any case i'm planning on continuing the same as previous years

amk

21 - 32 of 32 Posts