Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We do a whole court display with our neighbors. The main items are a graveyard, ghosts, and skeletons in various scenes. I am wondering about putting those things out this year with so many deaths from the virus. Do you think it is really insensitive when so many people may have had friends or family die? I felt the same way the Halloween after 9/11--I did not put out death-related items then either.

There are lots of other options--witches, clowns, vampires, monsters, etc. Just wondering about other's thoughts and if I am overthinking it.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The year my mother died, I drifted more towards jack-o-lanterns and light-hearted displays. For example, one Shiatzu-powered skellie was seated in an old time wash tub complete with shower cap and back brush. My creepy old lady in her antique wooden wheelchair wore large headphones as she lurched back and forth over her Gameboy while two skellies in fishing gear fished in a large fountain. One of them hooked a skeleton fish.

I'll be thinking along those lines this year if we have TOT.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I do a graveyard. I am not going to change a thing. If people are hypersensitive, or want to be Karens, there are plenty of other houses on the street they can go to instead.
That being said of course, If I did a pandemic theme or something along those lines, I would probably think differently. 😁

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,782 Posts
I don't really do anything that would need to be changed. I mostly do a bunch of the fake JOL, have some water themed stuff around our pond (skelly fish, skelly mermaid, etc.) & if the weather permits (not too windy which is something that hasn't happened in several years now) I'll do a graveyard on the side of the driveway, but I don't have anything there that would need to be changed either.

Most of my front yard is bathed in light 365 nights a year thanks to a streetlight on the phone pole across the street so it's hard doing stuff period now.

The last couple of years I've done a Pennywise/Georgie thing in the culvert at the middle of the our streets so I'll probably still do that this year too.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,008 Posts
I used to do a full cemetery display with lots of tombstones, skeletons, a coffin spewing fog... the works.

And then in early autumn, the family that lives next door to us lost their youngest - a lovely young teenager - in a tragic but senseless way.

I did not put up my graveyard that year. I chose to change things up rather than lose sleep worrying about whether I'd hurt someone thoughtlessly when they were already hurting.

I think it makes a difference if you know someone personally in your area that recently has been touched by death or tragedy. It may not bother them if there is some time/distance in the loss, but if there is a chance, and you're able to change things up or tone things down, it may be the kindest thing to do so. At best you could ask if this would bother them (if they are a dear friend/neighbor you feel comfortable asking).

I am hopeful that by October, we will be seeing the light at the end of this very dark tunnel and the question is moot but then.

·
The Haunting Girl
878 Posts
I also do a cemetery theme. I don't plan on changing it, but I may look for ways to make it a bit more lighthearted this year. I've been trying to lean more into being realistic and not having so much "stuff" in the yard. I do still have a lot of decorations from when I used kinda just load up the yard and I may pull some of those out again. The dragon will have to come back out of retirement (he's a huge hit with the kids) and we have a Ghostbusters car inflatable that we couldn't use last year due to the weather that we can hopefully use this year.
I may or may not do the dolls again depending on what happens in my town. I use lots of actual toys that have been played with and I don't repaint them or anything. Like I said, I lean more towards realism to some degree and there's something haunting about dolls that show signs of being played with by actual children. I have a co-worker that has a very artistic child that has donated quite a few unique dolls to my haunt. They have amazing paint/marker jobs and haircuts... And they are far more creepy without the traditional white/black makeup job you see on "Halloween" dolls.
But we'll see how things are by the end of the summer...

·
Registered
955 Posts
It seems I am always talking about plants & this post is no different.
This Halloween I am aiming for a spectacular display of autumn blooming plants. The blooms will be deep red & rich orange. I want families to forget just for a moment about all of their anxiety & be children again

·
Registered
460 Posts
No, 53 total cases in my county of over 154,000 people, most are transfers, and zero deaths. This virus is a joke on the western slope of Colorado. Things are almost normal out here again, aside from the crazy lines at Home Depot. All areas of the US are different, but media hype, hysteria and lunacy, will never alter my life. Everything's going great out here in desert.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm not planning on changing anything this year. I'm still expecting 2-3 thousand again this year and I think people will be ready for a break in the daily grind.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think it will. Last year I did a zombie wasteland and has toxic waste barrels and toxic waste and zombies. Anything virus or toxic waste might have to hang back. You may not put the display up with a zombie wasteland trying to relate to the virus, but it may come off wrong or some karens will boycott your display. As for anything death related, Id say u do what u want but im still gonna put out zombies, skeletons, and bloody body parts because the virus and a fake rubber arm don't correlate.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
581 Posts
I will not be changing anything. Anybody who confuses Halloween with current events has their problem, not my problem. Obviously if I was planning some big theme with a disease and maybe some haunted hospital I might give it a second thought. But if someone confuses my plastic skeletons and scarecrows with some Covid-19 political correctness they need to just move on to the neighbors. The whole reason I got into Halloween was the ability to look death in the face and find a way to laugh. This year is really no different than any other year.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
@Frankie's Girl so kind and classy. Agree with your statement and how close to home some scenarios can be. Nicely said @ScareyCarrie.

Not planning any changes, but my display is pretty light hearted. I hope by Halloween there’s enough peace to actually enjoy and celebrate Halloween.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I usually do Graveyard/ forest. I going to keep it the same. I may make gravestones to in memory of all people who passed away because of c19. Like a one Tombstone memorial

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do a graveyard. I am not going to change a thing. If people are hypersensitive, or want to be Karens, there are plenty of other houses on the street they can go to instead.
No, 53 total cases in my county of over 154,000 people, most are transfers, and zero deaths. This virus is a joke on the western slope of Colorado. Things are almost normal out here again, aside from the crazy lines at Home Depot. All areas of the US are different, but media hype, hysteria and lunacy, will never alter my life. Everything's going great out here in desert.
Agree! the virus is real but the response is hyped and this hype will e revealed as the biggest political hoax in history! Not changing a thing on my display, its halloween and everyone knows it! Have some fun!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts