Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Halloween has always been a passion of mine, so much I decided to become a Spirit operator a few years ago. The one thing that concerns me this year is- will this downturn in the economy effect my stores sales and my customers purchase patterns?

Now keep in mind (I am sure you all know) that Halloween will fall on a Saturday night this year. This should help with home haunters and the parties that follow. But will you spend as much/less on this year as you have in the past? and if so- why?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Spending more this year here. :} Halloween is the only holiday I feel like I can get away from it all, so I don't mind putting money into it as long as I plan ahead.
I'm avoiding having a party on the saturday of halloween though. It'll just give my guests an excuse not to come because they're spending the night with other friends.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spending more this year here. :} Halloween is the only holiday I feel like I can get away from it all, so I don't mind putting money into it as long as I plan ahead.
I'm avoiding having a party on the saturday of halloween though. It'll just give my guests an excuse not to come because they're spending the night with other friends.
so when do you plan on having if I may ask?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 24th of course! Sending out party warnings on the last week of September, then a creepy reminder with party details each week until the party.
very cool!!!

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I'm going bigger than ever this year -- but I build most of my own stuff. I don't usually buy a lot of premade stuff from stores. I'll get some faux pumpkins and crows from Michaels, maybe some more Bluckies from Oriental Trading, and everything else I usually find free or buy from Lowes.

Interior decor is something we have too much of already, but I still find myself buying little things here and there. Again, a lot of it is catalog or online sales.

·
The Grim Reaper
921 Posts
My work has been awful this year, so unfortunatly I will be spending way less than in years past. I have tried to get a spirit store for the last 3 years, they always tell me no because they are going to have corporate stores in town and then the closest store ends up being 2 hours away.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My work has been awful this year, so unfortunatly I will be spending way less than in years past. I have tried to get a spirit store for the last 3 years, they always tell me no because they are going to have corporate stores in town and then the closest store ends up being 2 hours away.

They have a good many markets like that. They plan on having company stores but trying to find real estate and at a decent price is always tough. Being seasonal is even tougher. Keep trying- you will get one.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think I will be spending less this year. Last year we bought a bunch of Spooky Town stuff, but this year I may just get one or two pieces, one with coupon and one with a gift card. If I get a job soon, it may change things but not much. I hope to build more things this year and have a simple party theme so I don't have to buy very much, other than food.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'll be spending a little more this year. I'm expanding my haunted house this year since my nephews have decided to help this year. But this is the only holiday I go all out for it's been my favorite since I was a kid.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I will be spending maybe a little more this year. I need a new pvc fence for my cemetry, and I want to make some of those cool pvc candles. I would also like to purchase another animatronic, if the price is right!! I can't spend what I would like too, but I just will scale back on Christmas if I go overboard!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm already spending more because I decided to try to do as much animation as possible this year. Several orders already to EFX TEK, Monster Guts, Servocity. Since using electronics, servos, motors, etc is all relatively new to me, I am making some investment in tools as well. I have to, right? But no actual Halloween items. Well, except for the bluckies I just ordered from Rhode Island Novelties. And the Spookytown items I plan to buy this week at Michael's. Oh, who am I kidding? I'll spend as much as I want until I get a pink slip then I'll re-evaluate my finances. After I spend my severance check.

·
Registered
437 Posts
This is the first year where I probably won't decide til September if we can afford a party or garage haunt. In the meantime, I've decided to create Halloween things just for the pure joy of it. Kinda nice not having the pressure of wondering if it'll be big and outrageous enough to please the guests.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
The recession hasn't impacted us personally, but I find that I can get DVD's (for Treats) really cheap this year, and I just picked up a Chauvet Fogger for $89.00 that regularly goes for $179.00.

It would be a shame if people had to shut down their haunts this year, because I truly believe that a Haunted House on Hallowe'en Night is something special in a child's memory bank.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts