Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
they can work but not as well. the webmaster sticks melt at a lower temp and are very sticky compared to most glue sticks. I have found some locally that work ok and glow under u.v. But that's what your looking for, low melting temp.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been looking for a confirmed answer to the question for a while. I tend to be more science minded being an engineer, so I'm curious to know about the composition of the "Webcaster web sticks"

The most complete answer I've been given came from the manager at a local Halloween prop store last year. I take it with a grain of salt because he was trying to sell me Webcaster sticks after all. He said that the Webcaster sticks were wax based whereas standard glue sticks were adhesive based. He claimed to have tested both side by side and determined that the Webcaster sticks clean up easier (wax doesn't stick) and easier to work with (wax would melt at a lower temperature, thus be faster and fly further.)

On the other hand, wax tends to clump where glue tends so string. I would think that there would have to be some kind of adhesive glue in Webcaster sticks to allow to to 1) sting naturally like spider webs and 2) adhere to the decoration surface. Ideally they would be a propritaty formulation researched and tested by the Webcaster company to allow for optimal decoration and easy cleanup.

In that case they would be worth the extra money. If they are however simply repackaged low temperature melting glue sticks (marked up 1000%), then I would say we're being ripped off.

Naturally the other varieties of Webcaster sticks (UV glowing, black, colored) fall into a different category since you're not going to find any glue sticks that do that.

Does anybody have more complete information? Has anybody tested the two side-by-side? I'm curious if you can obtain similar results using a high-temperature standard craft glue gun ($10) modified with $15 worth of parts from Home Depot to get equal results to the $60 Webcaster.

For those makers among us, there is useful information on making your own hot glue web gun in the Make Magazine 2007 Halloween special edition. You can fine a PDF here if you don't have that copy: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/10/weekend_project_hot_glue.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think buying it in generally was a bad choice but I'm not being negative. I just buy packaged spider web and stretch it out. Works just as well and looks real but i've seen videos of the Webcaster. It is pretty awesome. Happy Haunting

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have completely bypassed using a commercial webcaster for MY own reasons. I only use a compressor, blowgun and my own glue gun and sticks and it works perfectly for me. As far as using them in a commercial Webcaster web gun, i can't say because possibly, the sticks are a different composition from the regular glue sticks so i would tend to answer "no" don't use them but if you do, be prepared to suffer for it......Here is a link to my video on using My method for web-casting.....have a look......YouTube- Spider Webbing

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's really a moot matter for the 2010 Halloween season for me anyway. My compressor was stolen a few months ago and I doubt I'll be able to get a new one that can do 5+ SCFM @ 90 psi before October. I don't know if anybody ever tried to use a Webcaster with a hobby compressor but it's impossible. Spray for 2 min, wait for compressor to re-pressurize, rinse and repeat forever...

On the plus side, you're never waiting for the glue to melt!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Man o man I wish I saw that web page on making your own web shooter, I would have made my own. I bought mine the day after Halloween on sale for 40 bucks. Used regular glue sticks and found out they were very durable even outside in the rainiest Halloween season ever last year. I have to say that thing EATS glue sticks very quickly. If you are going to do a large area, be prepared to have a lot of sticks on hand, dozens at least.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I realize this thread is a little old, but I have additional questions.

I made my own glue gun cobweb shooter about two years ago. I was less than satisfied with the results. Am I supposed to be using low volumes of air or high? Should I slowly push the glue trigger or go to town on it? Do I stand close or far from the target?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i use a high volume of air to get the cobweb effect. I feed the glue steady but fairly quick. The thing with web guns is you have opposing forces. You have to aim the stream of air right at the tip and this cools the tip after some use. thats why a "high volume" web gun is a relative term. the higher wattage the glue gun the longer you can go but I haven't seen one that can handle continuous duty and make a good fine web. My best results are done by shooting a stick cut the air wait 30 seconds and repeat. As for distance start close say 3' to get the web to stick to things then back up to fill it in. web sticks to web nicely at 6' but has cooled to much to stick to your scenery by then. Hope this helps, just my experience maybe others have better ideas.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just an FYI for everyone. Home Depot has The Webcaster Gun for sale for $25. I was going to make my own, but given that it would have probably cost me nearly as much to make one, I picked up The Webcaster Gun for $25 instead. I will try it out with regular multi temp glue sticks, and let you know how it works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts