Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
More so the time they spend covering the grass. Even a sheet of paper can kill a spot on a lawn it it stays there long enough.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife doesn't want my creations on the grass. What do i do? I can't use half the driveway as she wants me to. I need to use the lawn, please help with ideas!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
My wife doesn't want my creations on the grass. What do i do? I can't use half the driveway as she wants me to. I need to use the lawn, please help with ideas!
How about just putting out the big stuff like just the day or two before. No way two days will kill your grass, plus you can promise to her a Coach purse if any of the lawn dies. :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a good idea. It just sucks because I have to combat wind here as well, with all the anchoring I have to do. But I think your solution is the most comparable one. Thanks for the insight. BTW love your 2013 fryght manor looks amazing!

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I have coffins I use in my lightorama...the first year I put them on the grass. In the spring, you could still see the images of the toepinchers as the grass was a different shade.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK Wife wins! No killing grass! Scatterbrains I have my lightorama that I am going to use this year for the first time, adding columns with resin casted skulls that will change color(hope it turns out as planned). But Have pictures or video i can see?

·
Registered
630 Posts
You might try putting in some stakes to set the prop on. That way you can raise it above the grass. Try it some where you don't care if the grass dies and see how long the grass can survive.

Killing the grass isn't a problem here, the draught has already killed it all. At least if I need some open graves I can just dig them.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,100 Posts
The answer is yes.

You can put stuff out for a few days & move it around so there isn't one spot but who wants to do that every few days. Either you'll have spots on the lawn or you wait to put it out a few days before Halloween.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks rcaig, i just have massive winds here. I cant just move stuff because i have to anchor stuff down.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would second the moving the coffins around for "replayability" as it were. So next time the neighbors drive by, "wait... weren't the caskets over there yesterday?" And they look for what else may have changed? Or people may be oblivious and not notice at all. How are you anchoring them? At 50 lbs, they aren't as threatened by wind as foam tombstones... Maybe you could use different anchors that are in place at different positions, and have a quick connect system to facilitate moving them from anchor to anchor?

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,100 Posts
We've got the winds too so I feel your pain there.

Not 70mph. but last year was the worst. I know we had gusts up to 20mph. Even when it's not super gusty it's windy enough where the store bought tombstones just bend over. I keep saying every year I'm going to make my own that will withstand the winds, you know double foamed, pvc pipes put over rebar, etc. like Terra's but I still haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One way to do this is to place pieces of timbre under the coffin' relocate them daily.
Bear in mind that this could be tiresome if you have more that two.
the other way to do this is to create frames for them to sit on. Don't make them with solid walls that way the grass still gets sunlight.
Alternatively get some garden ornaments that the wife likes then when it gets closer to Halloween change them over.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just to thread jack for a minute, we had a crazy wind storm a couple years ago. I came out one morning and 4 of my 12 tombstones were gone. I initially thought they had been stolen. Came home from work that night and all 4 were sitting on the doorstep(2 were really beat up and a 3rd was smashed on one corner) with a note. "I found these in my backyard today, I think they're yours." I use different anchors now... I'm just glad they didn't crack/break a window, so I get it about being concerned about wind. It destroys both props and potentially neighbors property too. I would hate to get on the neighbors bad side over that, so do what's safest to the yard, prop and neighbors too. Better to be on their bad side for freaking out their kids every year. :mad:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Am I the only one who is thinking about the little kids on this street who go to bed with Halloween coffins in position A and waking up with them in position B? Seriously how amazing will that be? The random rearranging may actually be a very scary plus to your yard. Lol!

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Someone mentioned putting stakes down to set the coffins on, but I was wondering if you couldn't take 4 bricks for example to reduce the footprint of the coffin and use them as stubby legs sort of to set it on. Where the brick are to go you could easily cut out the grass there to turn those 4 spots into sod, set the "sod" over on the side and keep it watered and simply repatch the brick area when you are done. Sort of like putting back the divots when golfing! Just water it to reestablish and it should match your current grass yard as it roots again.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts