Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just taking a couple moments to vent here. I have all these prop ideas for this year's haunt, things I want to build, and I don't think I'll ever have the time to start. My garage/workshop has become over run with many boxes and crates full of crap I know we're never going to use again, and stock of a business venture put on hold. I have to get the house in order, clean out one room completely and clean the rest of the house! We still have a lot of crap around and I can't seem to get my wife to get rid of anything! LOL. And in a couple of months, I won't have any free time at all. Why do you ask? My son will be born in March.

I've been working since August of last year to get ready, and I still have so much to do before he gets here, and so much I want to do that I don't think I'll ever get started. I'm looking forward to him being here and am very excited, but I really want to get started on some props! Now I feel guilty that I want to work on props and not focus 100% on him. I'm turning into a bad father already and he isn't even here yet! LOL. At least I know I'm going to raise him as a future haunter.

Ok, I'm done. Thanks for listening.

:)

·
Halloween Nut
2,942 Posts
Breath, first how can you focus on him completely when he'snot even hear yet? I know, first baby, but you have to do certain things, like clean up, because, your not going to have time after he's born for quite some time. And, babies come with so many accessories, you need to make room for all the new stuff that will be taking up room in your house. Do what you can now, and enjoy the baby when he gets here. Oh, and congratulations.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
"Haunting" is the opposite of women and children if you really consider everything about these "items". Love, devotion, child care giving all you have in energy and time to create a happy, well-rounded mini-adult that you will never have to buy a lawyer for ...
Sure the creative process, the energy, building, making "Stuff" is fun and feels good being busy and creative.. but the clock never stops ticking, turn around and your Child is away at school and others have taken over his worldly education for better or worse.
A million years ago when i was in the JCs and a married man with kids we all realized there are really only a very few hours in an entire month that a married man can use to do anything outside of the home and family, and those hours really can't usually add up to allow one to create a haunt, and do all of that work.
About the best any man can hope for is to plan along the lines of getting it done during the next couple of years.
If you are lucky or fortunate enough to have a Wife who is really nutty about the Holiday of Halloween and really likes everything associated with it, then you two will probably have a good time of it all. If not, tread carefully and cautiously and remain as incredibly kind and attentive to her as humanly possible and stay married for the sake of your Family .
Doing a Haunt is like a personally owned and operated business as far as the long hours involved except most do not feel so attached to a business as compared to the creative rush from doing the haunt... and entertaining people or scaring them silly.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Ok, first thing....Calm down....You are feeling so overwhelmed right now, like you have too much to do and no time. Take a minute to sit down and make out a list of what needs to be done first. If you need that room cleaned out first, schedule the time to work on it. Take 2 hrs on a Sat or Sunday. Set a timer and only focus on that one room for 2 hours!! You will be surprised how much you can accomplish in that amount time. If you feel like working longer then go for it.
Take one room at a time, get it done then move on. If you have any family that can help, ask for it. And if you know you are never going to use some of the stuff, throw it away! Or donate it.
After you have accomplished one major task, reward yourself with starting one of the props you want to make.

Congratulations and I'm sure you are going to be a great Father!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts