Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Oh, man! Talk about The Nightmare Before Christmas. We did get hit with snow one year ourselves. It was 2011 and the morning to early afternoon we had some snow accumulations. But it warmed up enough by the later afternoon that most of the snow melted by the time TOTs came out. The rest of the evening was PERFECT with no wind, no rain, no snow. In fact, I been decorating for Halloween since 2009 and Halloween 2011 has been the ONLY night that had no weather related issues.

Geo

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes it sucks. Looks like rain here for the big night. I'm going to have to totally re-think the placement of everything. Not sure how my motorized props will fair in the rain, I may have to re-locate to the porch. :(

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Wind hit us last night. Everything was still their this morning...rain/snow expected tonight and tomorrrow and should be nice on Halloween.

I agree with Gym, in a lotof instance, that snow adds to the haunt

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yes it sucks. Looks like rain here for the big night. I'm going to have to totally re-think the placement of everything. Not sure how my motorized props will fair in the rain, I may have to re-locate to the porch. :(
Arrrghhhhh! Another one with a front porch! My next house is going to HAVE to have a front porch. For me that is the holy grail, not only for Halloween mind you...for all year use. I been wanting a house with a front porch for a LONG time.

In regards to your motorized props, I wouldn't leave them out in the rain. If you mostly have props from Spirit or another Halloween store, most of those props are not made very well and are certainly not weatherproofed. More then likely if left in the rain, they probably will be ruined. The good thing about those props is that they are battery operated such, there isn't a shock hazard and because they are on batteries, it is simple to pull them up and out of the rain. But then again, I don't know how large your display is. For me, I only have a Jumping Spider that is in harms way, but I do have other things that need covering up or turning the power off on in the event of heavy rain.

Geo

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
Sorry about the weather. It does kind of put a damper on things.

I've had the past 2 Halloweens ruined by the weather.

2011 was the Halloween blizzard. Knocked down lots of trees and half the town was without power.

2012 was Hurricane Sandy so the whole yard had to be taken down before it hit and then no power for 3 days. ToT was cancelled by the town.

Hopefully this year it will pass without any major storms although rain is in the forecast. :p

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,482 Posts
Just heard today that here in MD Halloween is supposed to 70° with rain moving in later at nite. The later the better IMHO.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sorry about the weather. It does kind of put a damper on things.

I've had the past 2 Halloweens ruined by the weather.

2011 was the Halloween blizzard. Knocked down lots of trees and half the town was without power.

2012 was Hurricane Sandy so the whole yard had to be taken down before it hit and then no power for 3 days. ToT was cancelled by the town.

Hopefully this year it will pass without any major storms although rain is in the forecast. :p

Hello Jack, while not in the same boat as you are, we are in the boat next to you, so much of NY's and NJ's weather is nearly the same. However, for me I had high winds for both 2009 & 2010, but I was able to run most of my display, I just couldn't put out some props. For 2011, we DID get a part of that snowstorm you mentioned, but we were not hit as bad. There were snow accumulations on the ground in the morning, but by the afternoon it was all melted and 2011 turned out to bet the best night I had thusfar. We all know what happened last year with Hurricane Sandy and I was knocked out of power. But at least I was able to do a Plan B using mostly battery operated equipment for the night. So there WAS some kind of Halloween for us, but just what it supposed to be. However, I did keep on thinking about those on our south shore and those in New Jersey that lost more then just a holiday. I saw the pictures of what happened to the boardwalk and houses in that area. So yeah, New Jersey really got hit bad two years in a row. You guys definitely need a break! Us too, but NJ needs it even more.

Just heard today that here in MD Halloween is supposed to 70° with rain moving in later at nite. The later the better IMHO.
I have been following your updates here as well as the weather reports too. So I can confirm this is the same I heard. I am hoping it does push out later as well. I am looking to shut my display down about 8:30pm, so I am hoping that the rain will hold out until at least 10:00pm. At that point I would have everything mostly under covers by then. I am putting an 'emergency' plan B into effect though. I do have many plastic bags and a large tarp ready. The tarp is for my singing pumpkin display so if the weather changes for the worse by tomorrow, I have to put the tarp in place.

Most of my other props and lighting in the yard are plastic and/or rated for outdoor use, so for the most part I should be good. But if HEAVY rain comes earlier, I might have to shut down early.

At least the weather for Halloween looks great.
Oct 29 - rain all day
Oct 30 - Nice
Oct 31 - beautiful
Nov 1 - Overcast and rain next three days!
Hope the luck holds out for that!!! Fingers - and toes - crossed!!
You are one of the lucky ones. It looks like your storm is passing BEFORE hand. That is always a good thing to get the storm BEHIND you rather than expecting one that is coming. For us we are looking at rain on Nov 1 too, but rain moves in late Halloween night. If the wind shifts a bit faster, then that rain could plant itself right on our faces for Halloween. So it is a roll of the dice.

Really, as it stands today I don't think I will get a clear picture until tomorrow to see what this rain storm is going to do.

Wishing everyone the best though.

Geo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts