Halloween Forum banner

101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Awesome prop, but now I understand the whole 'trick or treat' thing. Treat - seeing this awesome prop. Trick - seeing a how-to.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
<sigh> I'm not sure what's going on here, all I know is I've yet to see / find the technique. I have a message in to Allen from Stiltbeast Studios as well asking what he knows of the technique.

See this post dated from 2010 on the hauntworld forums where it was originally shown and details of the build deleted.
http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_house_forums/showthread.php?12932-Wicked-Woods-Forest-Entrance&highlight=tree burlap

EDIT: Ok, I JUST e-mailed Allen like 5 minutes ago, but also found this post of Allen's on another thread at hauntforum this time.

the shape was cut out of plywood, the burlap was dipped in a mix of latex paint and water then the length of wet burlap was pleated lengthwise and left pleated to dry for like two days.
The dry burlap was then attached to one side of the plywood and balloons were put inside to help hold the shape and then attach the burlap to the other side. The the "tree" was painted with fiberglass resin to harden it.

That's all my detective work has uncovered so far. I'd still like better details / a true tutorial.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,519 Posts
You know folks, I'm sure the sarcasm isn't helping the cause here. The OP made an awesome prop that a lot of us, (myself included) woud love to have a tutorial on. Things happen; life, jobs, other obligations, maybe an illness or other unforeseen circumstance. Any of these might be keeping the OP from posting more about this. In any event, maybe just keep checking back every now and again. I think if I was the OP and came back to see these comments, I'd probably say the heck with it and not post anymore myself. Keep it civil.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You know folks, I'm sure the sarcasm isn't helping the cause here. <snip>
I was thinking the same thing. I know how busy I am, likely he's busy too. Maybe he changed his mind about giving away his secrets? I'm just glad to see such an amazing prop. Half the fun of building these things is figuring out how to do it yourself. Until he provides a tutorial, if he does, how about tossing around some ideas?

The thing that immediately came to my mind was an armature, attached to a chicken wire frame, covered by burlap. The furrows in the burlap had me stymied until I read the part about the latex earlier. Probably lots of other ways to pull this off, just wish I had time to try some. Man! Less than 60 days left. Maybe next year?

101 - 120 of 122 Posts