Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
The Greatest Pumpkin
752 Posts
"The Evil Dead" Zombie Girls would be pretty awesome props! I'd just love to see a Pam Voorhees prop tho, that would be real nice!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Sad but true. Horror chicks are overlooked in the world of movies,T.V. etc.
Also, I think in our culture we are trained to think of women as victims,weak, scared, and helpless . And most of all in need of a big he-man to step in and be the hero. This is very unfair and in our more "Modern and enlightened" times, most of us men know better!

Not all women are portrayed this way, Remember "Buffy The Vampire Slayer"
Or "Ripley" from Aliens ?

I like to see female villains and heroes! Times have changed and I wish today's TV. and movie makers as well as horror movies,would give up the old stereotypes of the poor weak woman.

If today's women have the guts to be a single mom and a collage student and work a full time job,all at the same time, I bet she could kill a vampire or two or defeat the mad doctor or BE the vampire or the mad doctor or the monster. I think the fainting heroin bit should be left to cinema history .

For what it's worth, I am in the process of making a life size "Lizzy Borden" and she will not look like she is about to bake some cookies for the kids. :D:D:D

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
Sad but true. Horror chicks are overlooked in the world of movies,T.V. etc.
Also, I think in our culture we are trained to think of women as victims,weak, scared, and helpless . And most of all in need of a big he-man to step in and be the hero. This is very unfair and in our more "Modern and enlightened" times, most of us men know better!

Not all women are portrayed this way, Remember "Buffy The Vampire Slayer"
Or "Ripley" from Aliens ?

I like to see female villains and heroes! Times have changed and I wish today's TV. and movie makers as well as horror movies,would give up the old stereotypes of the poor weak woman.

If today's women have the guts to be a single mom and a collage student and work a full time job,all at the same time, I bet she could kill a vampire or two or defeat the mad doctor or BE the vampire or the mad doctor or the monster. I think the fainting heroin bit should be left to cinema history .

For what it's worth, I am in the process of making a life size "Lizzy Borden" and she will not look like she is about to bake some cookies for the kids. :D:D:D
A lot of the slasher movies these days have femaile heros. Just last night I bought and watched Wrong Turn 2 and of those left at the end it was a fem (real nice gorey movie btw).

And on the hero/villains mentioned do you play City of Heros/Villains? :D

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,182 Posts
There are female heroes, and female killers, but there is a lack in female monsters.Monsters include zombies, sea creatures, beasts, vampires, etc.
Yeah there are a bunch of female vampires, but vampires are kind of like the 'go to' monster now, because they are easy to create. Fangs and an attitude, and you have a vampire. Zombies are in the same spotlight a bit, because it's easy to make a zombie.

It wouldn't be hard to make a female monster, but people want women in movies and media to be sexy and it is kinda difficult to make a crooked toothed, snarling, ugly female monster attractive. You actually have to have a story to carry the movie, not some hot actress/actors, and we all know that Hollywood doesn't have the time to make a really good story for it's horror films any more.

If you want a female monster, you have to make it yourself.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I don't think it's generally desired to look at a woman all bloody, gory or scary in the sense it's used during Halloween. Even when we are bad, we are supposed to be delicate and fragile.

And let's face it, truly wicked women are mentally evil and not physically scary. Men are seen as the strong brute force. Women just mess with your mind!:D

·
Registered
222 Posts
I can think of lot's of fem horror characters... wife from The Grudge, well chick in The Ring....

Yes indeed Yubney, but let's face it, with the notable exception of Sam Raimi (Evil Dead's evil gals, Drag Me to Hell's Sylvia Ganush) Japanese horror genre is way ahead of us in the female film frights dept. We need to catch up, & I don't mean doing a bunch of remakes. We need more U.S. originals:

Ringu (U.S. remade as The Ring & its sequels)
Ju-on (U.S. remade as The Grudge & sequels)

For Halloween '08 we had Samara & her well as one of the set ups in our yard.
The mailman (who's Asian) told me he was walking to the porch to deliver our mail by staying as far away from the Samara figure as he could get (wasn't joking either, I watched him do it!)

http://www.halloweenforum.com/album.php?albumid=2755&pictureid=38534

I want more home-grown movie fems I can get that effect with!!

·
1,182 Posts
Dren from Splice is notable. So far she looks like a monster but she still maintains a lot of female looks and an odd attractiveness, at least in the face.

A prop or costume that looks like her will be hard to come by at a reasonable price. There may be some masks of her but the quality or quantity may depend on the popularity of the movie.
Odds are people will be stuck making their own costume/prop for her.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well there was that series of werewolf movies, 'Ginger Snaps'. The one sister slowly turns into a werewolf whilst the other sister tries to find a cure. Once the one sister turns she's sure isn't attractive...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Interesting topic. My clay will be freed up soon and I'm on a roll with a themed series to be released soon. A female inspired one may really set it off.
I'm going back through the thread to reread the comments. Hopefully there will be something to apply to this new design.

·
1,182 Posts
I think an overall issue is that horror films are stuck in the B rated, campy movie category. Very few horror films are top notch and worth watching without feeling like you have to laugh. Acting, make-up and overall film quality is expected to be low, so that is the most anyone making a horror film goes for.
On another side, horror films and monster movies are seen as a career killer or a dirty little secret from when someone was just starting their career. The only people who really get a good reputation from horror films and monster movies seem to be make up artists, because they have a chance to prove their worth.

It also doesn't help that horror films are thrown out into theaters any time of year, so most people aren't in the mood to see the films, and the critical rending and tearing of any movie that gets released.
Take a pretty good horror film, give it a poor review and put it out in theaters in December, and you have a movie bomb.
From the last week in September, to the first week of November should be the release dates of the truly good horror films, but the good films aren't usually released until February - June.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Ok, Terra. I saw her as using her sexiness to lure men in. Not to get all Freudian but I think men fear women as well as are attracted to them. Women using their powerful guiles to evil means is uniquely scary (I think) to men.

Minimally, sexy female monsters are great for distraction scares:

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Wow, I was blown away to see that this thread has attracted so many comments from people after posting it last night. Thanks everyone for your suggestions on mask and props. I've click on all of them and have bookmarked a few to go back to later.

I have to say that I am probably most attracted to those from Ghost Ride Productions because of the variety of expressions on the faces of the mask. Since a number of them are "regular humans" I can see using them in more varied prop situations like the ones I mentioned for my circus/carnival theme. And quite honestly it's hard to find "normal" human masks, which is understandable from a halloween ToTing perspective but not from a prop perspective from my use. GRP's masks look like quality work and probably a bit more than my budget can afford right now. I could see splurging on one or two though. The scream mask or barf zombie mask might make a good sword swallower or fire-breathing prop head. Kind of having trouble envisioning what a snake charmer would look like -- I'm thinking sultry (since she is suppose to be charmer) or I could go with something like Ida and have being bitten by the snake and then play upon snakes on the loose in the carnival (and use some pneumatic whips at the foot level). A few of the old women masks posted from other sites might make a good fortune teller. Really appreciate all the links guys.

I guess in a way I fall more into the "stereotypical women" category we've been talking about in this thread. In part however it's due to the volume of younger kids I get coming to my door than anything else. As a kid I loved being scared by horror movies and haunted houses. Although saying that I really don't like to see a lot of gore. I do like a good scare though.

As far as women in horror movies there's a swamp woman prop I'd like to do that's inspired by an old B&W movie, The Leech Woman (posted about it previously elsewhere one forum). The creature she became wasn't as terrifying as creations today but this was quite sometime ago. She did rely on seducing the men however which was another thing mentioned on the thread.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Dogman I think you said it perfectly. Not many female props for Halloween cause they don't like to make snaggle toothed scary females, only sexy ones. If you were wrong there would be more female costumes with more than 1 foot of fabric used for the whole thing. ---Not relevant to props topic, but it is really hard to find a good costume when you're a woman and you don't just want to use Halloween as an excuse to run around 1/2 naked for the night.---

·
Registered
110 Posts
@ creepyhomemaker: Try the lead role of Return of the Living Dead part III. She's great! (I did her costume once; turned out pretty cool => see on my site).

True there are not enough female villains, but it seems to be getteing better thanks to the vampire theme though... still usually nice women even with sharp teeth...

There's also the lady in red in Army of Darkness... she's pretty cool. Never seen a prop of eighter one of them though...

21 - 40 of 43 Posts