Halloween Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the replies.
Case in point. The Home Depot pirate ship is outdoor rated.....meaning the plug had a screw in type of connection. My guess on extra cost is $5 at the most.
Today when I took it down the plug had blown into a water pocket and was completely submerged. I mean completely under water. I had no idea until today. No issues from it, not even a GFI trip. Worked like a champ.
No need to buy $2000 animatronic when a $5 plug works just fine.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Plus when you make your own, no one else will have the same.

One of the best ways to learn to make your own stuff is to figure out what you need to make the bought ones work outside and weather proof them yourself. Gets you used to working with stuff, gives you ideas on how to redo it better.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Nice thing is if you did happen to have an issue with something you built, it's usually much easier to fix because you made it and you know how it was all put together.
I was showing my wife a 1 layer fiberglass skull and bones when it fell out of my hand and broke in 2 pieces.... Her eyes got big and I just laughed - knowing since I have the mold, I can just pop it back in there and put 2 more layers on it and good as new....Sometimes making your own has it's benefits....ZR

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you guys were going to buy a prop, expecting it to last, what company would you buy it from?

My Scary Sitting Clown worked great the first 1/2 hour of Halloween night after that it stopped working. The kids who saw it work loved it. I was pretty bummed.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If you guys were going to buy a prop, expecting it to last, what company would you buy it from?

My Scary Sitting Clown worked great the first 1/2 hour of Halloween night after that it stopped working. The kids who saw it work loved it. I was pretty bummed.
Seasonal Visions is pretty good. The oldest I have is Haggard the Witch which is three years old and going strong. I also have Cagey the Clown which is new but built pretty solid. I usually don't buy store bought but I was surprised by this company. The 2019 lineup was pretty solid.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
No need to buy $2000 animatronic when a $5 plug works just fine.
I've got a couple "big boy" pnuematics and I wouldn't want them out side all month long either....Sure the air cylinders will hold up a little longer versus the cheap electric motors but they will still rust and get nasty if you left them outside all month long....Plus the electronics aren't protected any better....Actually I threw the old electronics away and upgraded to fright idea boxes which is what the big guys are using now anyway....They still aren't built into an enclosure. you have to do that yourself if you want them waterproof....I did build a couple plywood boxes to fit the boobox, speakers and pir into and since they were going to be under a tent, decided slipping a black garbage bag over them would suffice....Was happy to find out the pir was able to "see" through the garbage bag so I didn't have to poke a hole....In fact by stretching a hole slightly in the jute netting was enough to see through it as well....I want to try fiberglass over plywood and maybe a small piece of plexi for a peep hole for the pir/boobox/setup next though....ZR

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Just an FYI, "big boy" pneumatics use stainless cylinders, you can run them submerged and they won't rust. 😉
I didn't know that......Really only have one I'd like to run outside at the moment and that's because it's too tall to be inside....

I've had it about 9 years but I have yet to set it up to use for Halloween because I didn't want the cylinder rusting sitting outside and then I didn't do Halloween for a lot of years....I might set it up outside on the weekends next year....I know you say the cylinder will be fine but do you know if you can spray WD-40 on the rod to help protect it?....I've got lot's of cylinders but don't know much on maintenance of them....ZR

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I didn't know that......Really only have one I'd like to run outside at the moment and that's because it's too tall to be inside....

I've had it about 9 years but I have yet to set it up to use for Halloween because I didn't want the cylinder rusting sitting outside and then I didn't do Halloween for a lot of years....I might set it up outside on the weekends next year....I know you say the cylinder will be fine but do you know if you can spray WD-40 on the rod to help protect it?....I've got lot's of cylinders but don't know much on maintenance of them....ZR
If the rod is shiney, it's also stainless, no need to spray anything on it. If the rod is black, it will rust.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Didn't know they had any that was black so all mine must be stainless then....Thanks....ZR
A quick way to determine if any metal is true stainless steel is a magnet. If the magnet sticks, it's not 100% stainless. There are some grades of stainless that have a small amount of iron in them in which case a magnet will somewhat stick to it. Most stainless cylinders use 304 stainless for the rod which is 100% and a magnet will not stick to it.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Some do make them, but guessing you don’t want to pay the going rate for them, and the vast majority of family home haunters don’t either. Simple as that.

It’s also why you drive through neighborhoods and see tons of cheap hanging reapers, ghost, witches that if weather-logged simply find themselves in the trash on garbage day. Hate the disposability of some of these due to the materials used even at this price point. At least the hanging ghosts I bought from 99 Cent Only Store were a polyester and have a life to them regardless if the weather.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Video too large to upload, Ideas?
Load your video to YouTube and then link it to here. It works well. I slipped one in below. I cut and pasted the YouTube link to this post, and as you can see, you can even watch it here, or click on it and go watch the larger version.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts