Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Headless horseman popularity increasing, and dark horses being something that can be incorporated into other Halloween displays...why hasn't anyone made a black horse? Even a full size inflatable would be cool!

My headless horseman needs a horse dang it!

Any ideas on how to make one without crazy good skills?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I know sometimes the stores that sell horse supplies, tack, feeds, etc will have a full size horse display. You could always ask if they are willing to sell or ask where they got theirs?

·
It's a trick. Get an axe.
2,323 Posts
I wish Madame Turlock still visited here...I remember her pictures of some black horses she made-they were incredible! I will contact her on Facebook and ask if she'll come over to lend her expertise...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I totally agree. I hate just putting out a prop and then having nothing to go with it to make a whole scene. I have found a Sleepy Hollow tombsone and cemetary sign, but that's it so far. I am going to put a large creepy tree from Grandin Road that I got a few years ago behind the horseman to make it stand out alittle more. I was thinking though, my cousin owns a horse farm, how fun would it be to have him bring a real black horse over for Halloween and have someone in costume come down the street on it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, let me retract that part about making one. I have zero skill and zero spare time. I just need to buy one, but thats not likely either. Sigh...

·
Registered
680 Posts
With the Headless horseman popularity increasing, and dark horses being something that can be incorporated into other Halloween displays...why hasn't anyone made a black horse? Even a full size inflatable would be cool!

My headless horseman needs a horse dang it!

Any ideas on how to make one without crazy good skills?
By the time you figure out the materials you need

Buy the materials you need

Spend 6 months + building it.... and imaging the fussing and cussing... it would take me six months to get a decent sturdy armature

Repair the inevitable setbacks and mistakes....

...you would probably be better off just buying one of these, and spraypainting it black.

http://lifesizestatue.com/standing-horse-life-size-white-p-2489.html

Because not to be Debbie Downer here, you're going to need "Crazy good skills" to end up with a product that looks good, that you can actually mount another figure on. I would say that lady who built the Hellhound from scratch - Rania? - could probably make a great horse. In fact she should do this ASAP, just because we want to see it. :cool:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the time you figure out the materials you need

Buy the materials you need

Spend 6 months + building it.... and imaging the fussing and cussing... it would take me six months to get a decent sturdy armature

Repair the inevitable setbacks and mistakes....

...you would probably be better off just buying one of these, and spraypainting it black.

http://lifesizestatue.com/standing-horse-life-size-white-p-2489.html

Because not to be Debbie Downer here, you're going to need "Crazy good skills" to end up with a product that looks good, that you can actually mount another figure on. I would say that lady who built the Hellhound from scratch - Rania? - could probably make a great horse. In fact she should do this ASAP, just because we want to see it. :cool:
You're not being a debbie downer. You're right....I just messaged that company to see what the shipping would be on that horse.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got a repsonse, for anyone considering getting the horse on the link from lifesizestatue.com, they tack on $550 in charges for shipping....to paraphrase: the ---- with that!

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
I love it when people take the time to find out answers to the questions I've always wondered about. I was thinking shipping would be crazy, and it is.

If it were me I'd probably just cut a silhouette out of wood, paint it black and backlight it or something. Either that or maybe find some way to project it. My wife is already a little freaked about the amount of storage Halloween takes up. I think I'd have a tough time sneaking a life-size horse by her.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,963 Posts
At this point in time you may only have time for the silhouette version, projection or none & just start building for next year.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At this point in time you may only have time for the silhouette version, projection or none & just start building for next year.
Yeah this year is shot, my other hobbies are taking up most of my time anyways. I just don't understand how there can't be an inflatable (not airblown) but inflatable life size horse. I found one that was discontinued that would have worked...it was 7 foot tall. Ooooooh well.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,963 Posts
I have ideas like that too & they're usually the best ideas those last second ideas. Sometimes you just gotta push it back, keep it in memory bank or the idea book & move on to something doable.

·
Registered
14,083 Posts
I purchased the CVS HH this year and also have a HG Sleepy Hollow sign from this year to use. I was thinking about what else I would use with him in a future year's display and like GobbyG already mentioned, creating a silhoutte of a black horse was how I will approach it. I have one of those kid projectors that takes an image and enlarges it on a wall where you can trace it. Figure the image could get traced to anything from cardboard to wood to foam depending on your weather and tools available to you. Whatever source you make it of would need some sort of support backing (wood strips/rebar?). I think backlighting the horse would look great with HH standing in front of it with some spotlight lighting on him.

We have a side yard fence, maybe 5-6 feet high that I could see securing the silhoutte horse onto. There would some space between the two surfaces and I could always add a piece of 2x4 for example to push the silhoutte out from the fence even further if I needed. I should be able to insert some LED lighting between the silhoutte and the fence to set the horse off nicely.

If you go the Trace/enlarge route here's a nice article on some tips, even with different kinds of projector sources (including a video projector you might be using for your haunt with effects DVDs):

http://www.drawinghowtodraw.com/drawing-lessons/improve-drawing/drawing-art-projectors.html

If you have an image of the Sleepy Hollow horse in silhoutte you like, I'm sure someone at a Kinkos even could produce it on sections of large paper you could attach to cardboard and cut out as one shape for example. There are printing programs out there that can do this on the computer and print out on your printer at home (I would not print out a black horse BTW unless you want to exhaust your toner cartridge, an outline of it would do). I'm positive that I've even seen these scaling programs mentioned here somewhere on the forum.

Using one of the methods above I think you could fairly easily pull this off for this year.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would love one! I've decided to add a pet cemetery this year, so a ghost horse would be fantastic! Alas, it'll have to wait until I can conquer such a feat. This year I'm already chaotically overwhelmed with projects.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The t.j. Maxx here in Atlanta has a huge black horse bucking up for a couple hundred dollars. It is huge! Hope they have one in your area. It really is awesome.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I did one of those horse silhouettes last year. Little story behind it. I bought my grandson a HH costume cheap at Buy Costumes and it ended up not fitting him and wasn't worth the trouble to return it. So I decided to make a pvc figure for him. Totally lacking in skills to make a 3D horse I ordered a wood cutting rearing stallion pattern. I think it was pretty cheap and I needed a tree for my Oz scene anyway. I traced it onto foam and used the pvc method to anchor the horse to the ground, a red jewel sample for an eye and a red led. Certainly not jaw dropping but it was easy and there's plenty of time and no skills needed if you get desperate. Here's a shot of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
I have seen some pretty big men riding motorcycles that were far too small for them (one actually sunk a few inches when the rider hopped on), so why not follow their lead and get the Horseman his very own black rocking horse?:D Honestly, I agree that there should be a large black horse prop available, preferably at a fairy reasonable rate. As of right now, something like this is probably your best bet: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/halloween-lit-ghost-horse/?pkey=cdecor-ghostly-gathering-alt&cm_src=decor-ghostly-gathering-alt||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

1 - 20 of 41 Posts