Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks.

I think most of us Halloween enthusiasts know that "Friday the 13th" is considered spooky or unlucky day. Do you know why?

Let me share the history with you, as I was a member of DeMolay International as a young man and am now a member of Freemasonry and have some familiarity with the concept of it's origin.

Jacques de Molay (est. 1244 – 18 March 1314) was the 23rd and officially last Grand Master of the Knights Templar, leading the Order from approximately 1292 until the Order was dissolved by order of the Pope in 1312. He is probably the best known Templar, along with the Order's founder and first Grand Master, Hugues de Payens (1070-1136). Jacques de Molay spoke with the king in Paris on June 24, 1307 about the accusations against his order and was partially reassured. Returning to Poitiers, he asked the pope to set up an inquiry to quickly clear the order of the rumours and accusations surrounding it. When the pope announced that an inquiry would be convened 24 August, the king acted decisively. On 14 September, in the deepest secrecy, he sent out his orders throughout all of France which resulted in mass arrests of Templars and confiscation of their possessions on Friday, October 13, 1307. Jacques de Molay and sixty of his Templar brothers were arrested in Paris, while he was planning to attend the funeral of Catherine of Valois. It is rumored that this day is the origin of the Friday the 13th stigma.

de Molay's goal as Grand Master was to reform the Order, and adjust it to the situation in the Holy Land during the waning days of the Crusades. With no crusader states remaining to protect, and with other problems surfacing, the right of the Order to exist had come into question. King Philip IV of France, deeply in debt to the organization, had De Molay and many other French Templars arrested in 1307 and tortured into making what is generally believed to have been mainly false confessions. When De Molay later retracted his confession, Philip had him burned at the stake on the Ile des Juifs, next to the Ile de la Cite, an island in the Seine river in Paris, on 18 March 1314.

Not a pleasant way to die, I am sure.

Information about the modern-day Knights Templar is here.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
dr terroreyes, my father was a member, and a lot of the relatives on my mothers side were members. my grandson is 13 and he has joined. my father was always very proud to be a member. as a little girl we always went to the circuses but until i was older i never knew my father was active in the organizing of and running the circus. last summer my grandson attended a camp for young men. what a wonderful camp it was. they held classes in leadership, respecting others, keeping your word, following through, and many other honerable topics. they got to horse back ride, swim, rock climb, canoe, archery, target practice and more. they stayed in little cabins and there were kids from many states they got to meet. they were in missouri and learned about the state. my grandson didn't want to come home, he loved it. and the best part is it was at a very affordable price. this coming summer they will be going to another state and have the opportunity to learn of that state. during the year they have dances, sleep overs, ebox tournaments and lots of things to keep the kids busy. this coming week end they are meeting to plan the chilli for a chilli cookoff they will be attending. this is a very wonderful opportunity for young folks.
your information above is very interesting, i think i will print it off and share it with our leaders here. thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had always heard that Friday the 13th was unlucky because of their being 12 Apostles with Jesus as the 13th and Jesus was crucified on a Friday.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank the mighty internet and his Wikipedia!:D
Friday the 13th - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I don't think it's unlucky (here in Italy it's Friday the 17th that is unlucky, but I don't care about that either:D)
In fact, just on Friday the 13th (yesterday) a small black kitten (AH!:D) came on our front door, and I think we just adopted her... She's so cute!:)

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
I heard the Knoghts Templar story years and years ago, but I was of the impression that the Freemasons was some sort of "Shadow" fraternity that was pretty much restricted to a very elite few. Something like the Illuminati.

Halloreenessence, are you telling us that you are a member of the Illuminati?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I had always heard that Friday the 13th was unlucky because of their being 12 Apostles with Jesus as the 13th and Jesus was crucified on a Friday.
Interesting...I had never heard that spin on it. Thanks for sharing.

Thank the mighty internet and his Wikipedia!:D
Friday the 13th - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I don't think it's unlucky (here in Italy it's Friday the 17th that is unlucky, but I don't care about that either:D)
In fact, just on Friday the 13th (yesterday) a small black kitten (AH!:D) came on our front door, and I think we just adopted her... She's so cute!:)
Very cool about the kitty. Post pics.

I heard the Knoghts Templar story years and years ago, but I was of the impression that the Freemasons was some sort of "Shadow" fraternity that was pretty much restricted to a very elite few. Something like the Illuminati.

Halloreenessence, are you telling us that you are a member of the Illuminati?
Hi Wolf,

Knight Templar currently is a "branch" of Freemasonry. As I am new to Freemasonry and only a 3rd degree, I am not "of the Illuminati to my knowledge" at this juncture. My grandfather was involved in the Knights Templar.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you are interested in being involved in Freemasonry, you should talk to friends/associates/family...Freemasons are often someone you know, or admire, and not sure exactly why. Masonic rings are not worn by all members. Freemason are good men, with a moral understanding, ages 19 and up.

I was born on a Friday the 13th. :D
How lucky!! Did you know that there can never be more that two Friday the 13th's in a year?

Did you also know that triscadecaphobia is the fear of the number 13?

Have a great week.

·
Registered
574 Posts
And 13 is considered an unlucky number because:

Twelve gods were invited to a banquet at Valhalla. Loki, the Evil One, god of mischief, had been left off the guest list but crashed the party, bringing the total number of attendees to 13. True to character, Loki raised hell by inciting Hod, the blind god of winter, to attack Balder the Good, who was a favorite of the gods. Hod took a spear of mistletoe offered by Loki and obediently hurled it at Balder, killing him instantly. All Valhalla grieved. And although one might take the moral of this story to be "Beware of uninvited guests bearing mistletoe," the Norse themselves apparently concluded that 13 people at a dinner party is just plain bad luck.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Recall this?....

·
Registered
831 Posts
Seems everybody has a different story about the first friday the 13th. I heard at least 5 different versions on friday. 13 has always been my lucky number and living just outside of Port dover for most of my life, there was always a huge party on friday the 13th (10 000+ bikers roll into town)
When it comes to holidays for me its right up there with Halloween!

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Thursday the 12th has always been far more unlucky than Friday the 13th for me.

As for fraternal organizations, I happen to be the founding member of the Order of the Polish American Prince :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts