Halloween Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Someone here once pointed out that Christmas is generally a family gathering holiday while Halloween is more of an open-door community affair. I will put out a few lights on a timer, mailbox garland and door wreaths for Christmas, but it's more about letting people know the house is occupied than anything else. I don't celebrate or decorate inside at all for Christmas.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
I think people think we're "big holiday" people just because we do one (for some 2) holidays big time.

I think the rationale is that if you do one holiday, well, then surely you must to all of them that way. Without even thinking that not everyone celebrates Christmas & not everyone has the time, money, storage space nor the inclination to do all the holidays in the same fashion.

I would also think that if you did all the holidays like that I don't think any of them would be as special.

Cripes, if you think about it there's how many decoratable holidays....New Years Eve, Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, July 4th, maybe Labor Day, President's Day & Memorial Day too, Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas. Say you skip Labor Day since I'm not even sure how you'd decorate for that, that's 10 months a year you'd have to do something.

And if you start to include things like Hanukkah, Diwali, Eid, Mother & Father's Day, & any other holiday that could be special to you in any fashion whether religious or secular, you'd never be free of decor in or outside & you'd have zero dollars & even less free time.

I'll stick to decorating my tiki heads for the holidays I like & only if I can acquire the right stuff for it. So far I do them up for Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter & July 4th.

I've also acquired a giant pink fiberglass hippo named Heather & she was dressed as a witch for Halloween. She won't make Christmas because she's got a tear in her side & I didn't want to leave her out in the cold weather to make it worse so she won't see any more decorations until maybe St. Patrick's Day or Easter.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I rewatched The American Scream and at the end Victor says it best. "Christmas is for family.. Halloween is for community".

My brother is a Holiday lights to music guy. The only time people talk to him is to complain..i.e. "so what if it's raining, I drove 15 minutes to get here etc etc".
Most of the time it's too cold and he stays inside while the people enjoying his work stay in their cars across the street.

My Halloween is all about community. I put the table at the end of my driveway and get to talk to everyone. For three hours it's all about meeting new friends and catching up with old ones.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I always had more Xmas decorations than Halloween until I found this place. I mean the projects that you never thought of that you find in here>>>well!!! It makes you go cuckoo cuckoo! Add the Monster list to that. I think I lost my mind when I 1st found this board.....OMG!!!....and then everyone is so NICE so you spend time here. My "Have To Do It List" went from a page to the whole tablet being filled. I became possessed by Halloween Thoughts!! That's why I just kept buying every year......all year. I always found stuff to buy that I needed for all those projects. If only I could get someone to build projects for me with all the materials I have.And to make matters worse the new inventors just keep coming through the door. Hubby asked, "Are ever gonna stop buying Halloween stuff?" >>>>>>>>>>>>>No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and yes my Xmas setup is ridiculous too! Last few years its not just been the Halloween decorating that suffered, Xmas suffered too. It seemed like it was impossible to get the halloween display down and packed away and to get the Xmas stuff out and ready to go. BUT not this year, as I have been going through stuff I've come across Xmas boxes that in the past I had trouble finding. Last year we could not find the lights that go up the driveway and the house and bushes lights.I even accused Jerry of hiding them.So I told him you are replacing them since you can't find them anywhere. It cost him $250.00 to buy C-9 lights for the driveway. Yesterday when I went through basement totes I found those darn Xmas lights packed with stuff from my old candy business. So now we will have even more lights for Xmas!!!!!!!!Yeah!!!!!!

I always said that senior citizens find ways to decorate their places. For us the lines stay in the ground and you sit in the wheel chair with a plastic shoe tote on your lap and you simply change out the light bulbs. Halloween to Xmas.

The above link is to my website, you can scroll down and find my St. Patricks decorations and Easter. Scroll further down and see our Xmas Tree for the Troops!

·
Reaper Queen
8,613 Posts
I decorate quite a bit for Christmas..i have a Santa blowmold that was my dad's and big star that my dad made out of aluminum at work...plus lights. I love lights!! Sparkling on houses and snow...on my tree. Lights and ornaments on my tree make me happy!! I get sad when it's done

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
1,991 Posts
I run out of steam after Halloween! Before it gets too cold, Hubby will go string some lights along the gutter. The weekend after Thanksgiving, I'll go put the blowmolds out and maybe a sting of lights along the fence. And that's it!

The cat knocked over our tree a couple years ago and broke the base, so instead of just replacing the base like smart people would do, we replaced the whole tree with a pitiful one about 1/3 the size and it's depressing since we don't have room for enough ornaments! That first year with that tree, I put a black Santa hat on it that says "Bah Humbug" and it ended up staying up there.

I guess I'll have to make an attempt this year, since the grandbaby is due 12/26 (and daughter lives with us) so there will be lots of pictures being taken! And I'll hit up At Home or someplace after Christmas and get a decent, less Humbug tree for next year.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Congrats on the up coming grandchild! That grandbaby will really help you get back into the spirit. Just please don't let anyone get her one of those dang Elf on a Shelf things.

They say Halloween stuff is scary but IMHO those stupid narc elves are far scarier than any gross Halloween mask.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts