Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
black light queen
2,506 Posts
i say that xmas is limiting in what you can do ... with halloween, the options are limitless, :)

when was the last time you saw a black-light xmas?

when was the last time you saw a fog machine used for xmas?

when was the last time you saw a laser vortex used for xmas?

when was the last time you saw ...

xmas decorations are BORING ...

amk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Um... Christmas decorations!?!? Well... I hang up some outdoor lights... eventually... when I'm told to... Bah Humbug...

·
Registered
586 Posts
I do a much bigger Christmas display than Halloween display lol it’s a lot of work bringing everything down from my attic and everything back up in a day lol
I must have about 50 Christmas inflatables there is just sooo many extensions cords
Then there are the lights you have to do the first gutter than the second then my trees I have to wrap my trees with lights then finally I add everything else signs musicals lights inflatables on my roof pathway lights Mailbox lights garage lights porch lights etc etc the sad thing is no body really sees anything except my neighbors.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We’ve never been asked that, I think because we are in Australia... ToT’s that visit our Halloween yard are very appreciative of the effort we put in - we are one of the few houses that decorate for Halloween in our town.

Personally one of the reasons why we don’t do a big Christmas display is because the house across from us does a stunning one... so far it’s the best in town, and it is is really nice to enjoy their display and have no responsibility for it!
Second reason is the $’s we’d have to outlay.... the electricity bill alone would ruin us..
My last reason is summer. It’s too hot here in Australia to have the classic Christmas display that I’d want, I’d need snow and frost and icicles to complete my Christmas vision, not weather consistently pushing past 100 degrees....

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just don't get excited for Christmas. My family and life is all messed up, I get depressed.

I really wish Christmas was like it is for most families (or on TV) but for me, it's just a yearly reminder of everything that is wrong.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I just don't get excited for Christmas. My family and life is all messed up, I get depressed.

I really wish Christmas was like it is for most families (or on TV) but for me, it's just a yearly reminder of everything that is wrong.
I'm so sorry that Christmas time is not a good time of year for you. I hope that someone or something comes along to help change that for you. I have battled with depression for most of my life, so I understand how hard it is to get into the spirit of certain holidays and the added stress and pressure of gifts and get togethers don't help, especially if money is tight, or there is conflict with certain people you would be getting together with. Keep your chin up and only do what you are comfortable doing and don't let others make you feel bad for not doing more.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I wish I could go big for Christmas, but I can't or don't for several reasons. 1) by the time Christmas rolls around I am out of time and money to make displays 2) the weather can get really cold and snowy and would most likely ruin any displays I made or put out. 3) store bought displays well there really isn't any good ones out there that I would want to spend money on and 4) taking down displays would be a PIA and would also make things look empty and depressing once they are down.

I get more depressed after Christmas when things get put away as what once looked all festive and lively ends up looking dark, bare, dirty and dead.

·
Registered
239 Posts

i'm sorry that xmas is a bad memory for you. 😕
i hope it gets better eventually.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I get more depressed after Christmas when things get put away as what once looked all festive and lively ends up looking dark, bare, dirty and dead.
i don't take down all my stuff until late january, honestly. it helps with the "everything's dead and gross" feeling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We get asked this question every year as well. My answer is that since I work for the Post Office, with all the overtime we work in December, I barely have enough time to even celebrate Christmas let alone do a big display for it. Sometimes we get a tree up in the house, most times not. We try to get lights up outside, but that is hit or miss as well.
I feel your pain. Converted from PSE to career 2 years ago and bid a plant job in automation. If I don't get xmas lights up before Thanksgiving, they don't go up.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I go just as big at Christmas as I do at Halloween. I love both holidays. I love when the parents tell me that the kids beg them to come by the house so they can see the decorations. For 2 years now I have won our small town yard decorating contest. And now it's become a mission to win every year LOL

As for the gift giving and commercialization of it I do agree. In our family the adults do White Elephant which is a contest to buy the funniest, raunchiest gift. We just buy gifts for the grand kids. And even then, as when my kids were little there is a limit on how much we spend. And it usually goes by age.

But by January 1st I am happy to have it all put away and everything back to normal.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts