Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure why, but I have had alot more people ask me why I dont do a "Big Christmas display" My answer is always the same, I'm a fair weather person!馃ぃ馃槀 I refuse to decorate when I cant feel my fingers or toes!!! I mean it's already colder than average for October!! Its been dipping down to 30 at nite...ugh. Anyone else been getting this question alot this year????

Registered
I usually get it. I tell them it takes alot of time to do this so it is one or the other but I just don't have enough time for both.

Registered
I get that too.

"Man I bet you have a lot of Christmas decorations."

"Nah... Halloween is way better" is usually my response.

I have a normal amount of Christmas decor. Like a Christmas tree plus one container.

Seer of All
We've lived in the same house for 17 years so by now everyone knows I go over the the top for Halloween and make a half-hearted attempt at christmas. ;)
I actually would love to do more for christmas but Halloween takes it all out of me. I put lights on the house and wreaths on the windows and call it good. But I have visions of doing a spectacular nutcracker suite display someday. Any excuse for twinkle lights is my motto!

Celtic Spirit
I'm toooo tired from Sept/Oct and November (when I pack away and try to reorganize all my Halloween stuff) to do a big Christmas display.

Outside I only decorate the front porch - I hang up some seasonal wall decorations, put red pillows on the rocking chairs, buy a huge poinsettia bush and a place a wreath on the front door. Inside I have a live tree, a few centerpieces and scented candles. Living in Fl, we spend most of our time on our back screened in porch, which is decorated Tiki style. So I put out this 4ft, upside down, tabletop tree and decorate it with colored lights, red hibiscus flowers, drink umbrellas, a flowered lei garland and a starfish on "top". For the tree skirt, I use a DT child's raffia hula skirt. When friends and family come over, they don't know what to make of it lol, they think I'm weird - imagine that! But it makes me happy plus it matches my "theme" out there.

Oh yeah, the hooks are already up on the house from Halloween, so my husband hangs some large old fashion type bulbs out on the front.

Easy peasy, a day to set up, a day to breakdown. :D

Registered
same here, they all seem so disappointed.. I simply tell them, I put up lights and a tree, that's it.. Halloween is more fun and creative.
where as, Christmas is more individual, it's cold, and need to take it down in 4fft of snow and ice..
even my wife was on me a few years ago.. told her, you do what you want for Christmas... until you let me chose the decorations, it's on you..
when I showed her what I was going to get, she told me to stay away LOL still trying to get that animated snow man, already have a big Krampus !! IMG_9272.jpg
christmas.jpg
IMG_9257.jpg
IMG_9431.jpg
neww jf.jpg

Registered
Like the experiences above, we get asked the same question regarding Christmas decorations. I do put up a bunch of lights, but nothing near like we've been doing for HW. I do wonder, though, how many people that came to our house for Halloween also drive by at Xmas time to see if we've done anything.

His name is Roger Clyne
Same major reason as Zombie4, the weather.

It maaaaay be nice around Thanksgiving to put things up but usually by the time it's take-down time around here for Christmas stuff it's too frickin' cold for me. I do a few blow molds outside & a few other lights but that's it.

Inside I go all out, a huge tree with thousands of lights in our front window, my old aluminum tree is up, the mantle is full of my Old World Santas dressed in white collection, but outside it's just a bare minimum. If I found a few inflatables I liked I'd do those too but so far I haven't been totally enamored of any.

I also really don't have the storage room for Christmas. I have one basement storage room with 6 set large, metal storage shelves. Only one of those is full of Christmas & one bottom shelf is just the large tree. Most of my Christmas decor is tree ornaments & so it stores smaller but I still can't get into the outside stuff.

I never even thought about the time issue. I barely get done with Halloween then I'd have to go into Christmas decorating mode & I really don't think I could do it. As it is by the time Christmas is over I don't even wanna think about Halloween or Christmas for a few months.

I also just love scary things in general & Halloween fits that bill for me. It's like no other holiday & if you don't dig it you don't have to do it. Don't wanna give out candy? Turn your lights off or go out for a few hours. There's no real gifts involved, no interaction with your family required, it's what I call "an optional holiday."

Unlike Christmas where, unless you really don't celebrate that particular holiday for religious reasons, you get sucked into it in some fashion. Either for the gifts, the family or something else, sometimes you just have to be a part of it even though you don't particularly like the holiday (for whatever reason).

Registered
We get asked this question every year as well. My answer is that since I work for the Post Office, with all the overtime we work in December, I barely have enough time to even celebrate Christmas let alone do a big display for it. Sometimes we get a tree up in the house, most times not. We try to get lights up outside, but that is hit or miss as well.

Registered
My favorite, "what do you do for the other holidays?"
Me, "There are other holidays, besides Halloween, no one ever told me!!"
Them, mouth open and not sure where the conversation should go........

Truth be told, I spend the winter on snow.

Jerseyscare

Registered
I have never been asked that because I do. I used to be asked the opposite. Why don't I do a big Halloween display..
I have done both for 6 years now..

Registered
I definitely go bigger for Halloween, but I go bigger than the average street on my house for Christmas, so nobody has asked me, except my wife....

She thinks we should go just as big for Christmas as we do for Halloween. I told her to go for it...(and she just might)

Registered
Ha! That is the second most frequent question I get asked; the other is, "Where do you store all this stuff?". That question I always answer with, "That's a great question", and change the subject.

I put a blow mold Santa on my very tall Chimney, but other than that just some lights, candy cane lightup walkway, few other blowmolds in the yard. Might build a sled for Santa this year out of an old toboggan and a big storage tub. We'll see.

Registered
I don't do it because Halloween, my house is a destination. People come here for a reason. I do it for the people who show up on Halloween. For Christmas, my house is not a destination. People, for the most part, aren't coming here. At best, they might drive by. Why should I care doing it for people driving by?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts