Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My number one wish is that they would make more sturdy scene setters. A lot of us use them because there is no alternative unless you are artistic, and that leaves me out. The plastic has creases and isn't big enough and is hard to deal with. I have the nursery wallpaper that Spirit Halloween had for a display years ago, and it works great, and storage is simple, you just roll it up. I also have a lot of large fabric banners, they are cheap and work well, but most are outside scenes like cemeteries. What the industry needs are 8 x 10 fabrics that look like inside walls for a haunted house, lab, witches shack etc. So much easier than trying to tape those scene setters together.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,872 Posts
There are other alternatives, but not as easy/cheap.

You'd need to look for photo booth/screen printed backgrounds. Keywords are likely: backdrop, banner, photo booth, etc..

Shindigz is frequently mentioned here as having some good sales on custom banners/signs, but they also do a good variety of backgrounds meant for party/photo booths. These would be better quality than the cheapy scene setters. They run sales frequently and have coupon/discounts as well, so try to check them out when they are cheaper and see what you think.

Oriental Trading - same thing. Party supplies including backdrops. I've gotten rolls of red/white striped thick plastic (meant for tables I think) that I used for backdrops for my carnival theme, and it was much better than the regular stuff.

You will have to read more carefully on some of these (Oriental Trading for instance) to see about getting the higher quality ones instead of the folded scene setters you are familiar with. I think this one stating it's made of polyester instead of plastic means it is more of the thick, rollable surface.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Because it costs more to make, which means they'd have to charge more for it and they know fewer people would buy it. I'm sure there are better things out there, you just won't get them at the corner store. They will also cost 5-10x as much.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,521 Posts
I'd imagine that this is a case of you get what you pay for. The scene setters that cost more are probably better quality with a higher resolution picture on it & you could reuse it over & over.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
You can get a lot of Haunted House looking Wallpaper patters on Spoonflower which custom prints fabric. It's good quality I have some designs up and I use it to make custom curtains and such.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. I was just saying I have lots of tapestries that were only about $20 each, they are a good quality and can be used over and over again,. There are lots of Halloween themed ones, but they are mostly outdoor scenes. I use shower curtains as backgrounds too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm always on the lookout for scene setters too, that way i can chop and change either to fit the room, or as a backdrop to a particular prop. I have lots in my ebay and Amazon watchlists, and have a pretty much identical one to the one shown at the top of the thread, but it's one of the Vinyl ones as opposed to Polyester and has the addition of Pumpkins to the lower left corner.

I had no idea you could get Polyester ones though, i thought they were all Vinyl.

See, this is my second post and have already learned something. I knew i'd be in good hands here! (y)

·
Registered
98 Posts
My number one wish is that they would make more sturdy scene setters. A lot of us use them because there is no alternative unless you are artistic, and that leaves me out. The plastic has creases and isn't big enough and is hard to deal with. I have the nursery wallpaper that Spirit Halloween had for a display years ago, and it works great, and storage is simple, you just roll it up. I also have a lot of large fabric banners, they are cheap and work well, but most are outside scenes like cemeteries. What the industry needs are 8 x 10 fabrics that look like inside walls for a haunted house, lab, witches shack etc. So much easier than trying to tape those scene setters together.
I don't like the plastic scene setters because they are shiny. So tacky looking! I would love to know where I could get an alternative for a brick wall look.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I don't like the plastic scene setters because they are shiny. So tacky looking! I would love to know where I could get an alternative for a brick wall look.

I am telling you guys, go poke arounf Spoonflower.

Also you can make custom fabric yourself if you have a favorite scene you want to make.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,521 Posts
On Spoonflower, which type of wallpaper is the best to use, pre-pasted, removable, peel & stick removable or the non-pasted stuff (which sounds like hassle)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can contact a company that make trade shows exhibits. The can print anything you want in large sizes on high quality plastic stock. It may get a little pricey but should last awhile.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,832 Posts
There are other alternatives, but not as easy/cheap.

You will have to read more carefully on some of these (Oriental Trading for instance) to see about getting the higher quality ones instead of the folded scene setters you are familiar with. I think this one stating it's made of polyester instead of plastic means it is more of the thick, rollable surface.

I picked up an 8'x10' of this very same banner on Amazon. It is definitely a thicker, more durable material. Not something that would easily tear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts