Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why dose everyone drylock foambaord it seems like it is an unnecessary y and expensive thing to do, as foam board is already rain resistant

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,584 Posts
I don't know about other people...but I do some sort of base primer coat...whether it be drylok, gray outdoor primer or whatever, so that way I can safely use stone textured spray paint for the next layer. You can't put spray paint straight on to foam, it will eat through it. Primers of some sort also help other paints to stick and also give a good base color to the stone. Layers of paints and colors look more realistic than one, flat color. I use outdoor primer.

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
I've never used Drylock on anything made of foam board. My tombstones are foam board painted with exterior flat latex paint. They've held up for several years and withstood all kinds of weather.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do relies you need a base coat especially if you going to use spay paint , but I use clearance household paint cheap

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,584 Posts
I worded my post wrong...I didn't mean for it to say I use Drylok...I just meant to say I use something like that...I usually just use a gray outdoor primer as my base. Really, I agree with you, it seems a bit expensive if they are using it as a base.
I think I've read that some use Drylok if they have added elements to their stones that need monster mud and such...but I wouldn't know for sure or why...

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've always used Dryloc, because, for me, it kills four birds with one stone. First off, I have it tinted grey at the hardware store, so there's my color base. Second, it seals the foam board, so there's my base coat if I want to use spray paint. Third, it seals all the little cracks and crevices that water can seep into and erode the adhesives I use. Fourth, it leaves a nice textured stone finish. Lastly, because years ago Terra told me I should use it, and I just love the results. So, there's my reasons.

·
cheap and easy
2,292 Posts
If you are using it for texture a little sand in paint does the same thing.

I personally never use drylock because I was a painting contractor for 30 years and I trust primer to seal what I put it on and I always had a few 5 gallon buckets of mixed paint and primer. If it's good enough to seal the wood on our most expensive possessions... our homes.

It should be good enough for our props.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't use it, I just use gray paint as my base. I also use 3" thick foam so I'm not gluing pieces together so I don't have to worry about water getting in.

·
Hungry For Death
729 Posts
Lastly, because years ago Terra told me I should use it.
STOP RIGHT THERE!

lol

Thats all you had to say. She is the Tombstone Godess, everything she says to do to a tombstone, I do. Her stuff is perfect.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
You all are a hoot, lol.

Basically, Ryan nailed it. First heard about Drylok when reading a tutorial about using it instead of Monster Mud. Thought Beloved would look better thickened up more with Monster Mud and then painted with Drylok. The gallon at the store was already tinted gray and was happy to discover that it was the perfect base color for a cemetery stone. Then... I drybrushed it. MAGIC! Instantly, Beloved looked like true stone with the white drybrushing highlighting all the rasied surfaces from the texture that the silica (sand) particles in Drylok left behind. Add to the fact that it waterproofs any Monster Mudded item (which I usually have on my stones) and it's a great 4 in 1 use.

Here's a picture of Beloved before drybrushing and after:

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
I'm still learning and experimenting with tombstones, but I've never used it either. I use a heavy coat of black latex as my base coat and a combination of thin monster mud and latex exterior paint for my finishing. Used some sand in the celtic cross I did and went really heavy with about three coats of monster mud before painting to strengthen it some since it is white bead foam and very soft. Stiffened it right up and gave it a nice hard crusty finish.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm not so much worried about the waterproofing part that Dryloc provides, but I haven't as of yet used any monster mud on my tombstones. For me there are two basic reasons - the second I discovered last year after building my columns.

First, I like the texture that it leaves. As Tera said, once you dry brush it the "stone" look really comes out. Second, and this is now my #1 reason for using it, the super durable/tough surface it provides. I made two columns last year that were pretty large and I thought, Dryloc is sooooo expensive, I don't want to use that much on just one project. So, I painted them with an exterior latex paint. I immediately noticed there was not that hard "stone" finish that I had previously gotten on my tombstones. Now, I'm not saying that using latex paint is in any way inferior. I specifically used it for a tombstone last year that I was looking for more of a smooth/marble finish and I'm really happy with the results. But, I don't feel it is anywhere near as resistant to bumps/thumps and FIVE YEAR OLDS!!!!! The Dryloc seems to provide a little more protection from incidental damage, of which was provided mostly by my (at the time) FIVE YEAR OLD niece! I have to touch up several areas on one of my columns this year where the pink foam tore/ripped from her "over zealous Halloween excitement!" Who knows, maybe the same would have happened to my dryloc coated stones but I feel they are a little more durable.

Besides, Tera uses it and that's good enough for me!!!!

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Thanks Undertaker. I agree with you that the strength of Drylok is amazing. In a way it seems to harden the foam almost as if it got a light coat of foam hardener. Been using these Steel Beams for many haunt seasons and because they are 8' long they are constantly being banged into a wall, ceiling, etc. during transport and the damage I get is isn't on the beams but to the to the wall, ceiling etc. it hit... heh.

·
cheap and easy
2,292 Posts
Drylok has Portland cement in it and this gives it the hard coat you are talking about.

If a person had the paint you can get that dryloc feel and hard coat by adding a small amount of Portland cement and texture will a very small amount of sand . If you use a lot of it this would be the cheapest way to go...

getting a gallon of oops paint and a small bag of cement. You would need to play around to find the mixture that works best for you but this way if you need it thick or thin it's up to you.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
I've always used Dryloc, because, for me, it kills four birds with one stone. First off, I have it tinted grey at the hardware store, so there's my color base. Second, it seals the foam board, so there's my base coat if I want to use spray paint. Third, it seals all the little cracks and crevices that water can seep into and erode the adhesives I use. Fourth, it leaves a nice textured stone finish. Lastly, because years ago Terra told me I should use it, and I just love the results. So, there's my reasons.
DItto.

I actually took some of my foam stones to our cemetery for a little photo shoot... and I could not believe how close to the old real tombstones from the 1800s the 'texture' or surface was using the Drylok.

·
Insane
1,061 Posts
For me it gives the stone such an amazing texture. just this year i explored more into ageing and i must say it turned one of my stones to look so old that it looks as if it came right from the era of the witch trials which is amazing.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think it all comes down to preference and there is no right or wrong way. :)

I've created tombstones using Drylok and not using Drylok but I really prefer the Drylok ones because of the texture and look. I don't mind paying a little more for it to get a better end result, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

Ditto that is exactly why I use it on all my headstones!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts