Halloween Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I know that I sound like an idiot, but what do the acronyms DD, DS, & DH mean?
Don't worry, you don't sound like an idiot! I'm just so used to using internet chat shorthand that I forget not everyone knows all the abbreviations. DH = dear/darling husband, DD = dear/darling daughter, DS = dear/darling son. To be sure, some people think of a different "D" word if they want to be derogatory ;), but I think most of the time you can read them as positive endearments!

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what is "Ghost to Ghost AM"?
There is an AM radio show called Coast to Coast AM which has been on the air for decades. It is now hosted by George Noory, but was originally hosted by Art Bell (a few others have guest hosted). Art also hosted several other radio shows and podcasts: Area 2000, Dreamland, Dark Matter, and Midnight in the Desert, in addition to writing books, publishing a newsletter called After Dark, founding KNYE, being a very active HAM radio operator, writing articles for radio magazines, guest starring on an episode of Dark Skies, and doing a Harris Teeter commercial. A book he co-wrote called The Coming Global Superstorm was the basis for the movie The Day After Tomorrow. C2C was originally a political talk show, but Art transitioned it into a show about the paranormal, UFOs, conspiracy theories, etc. in the early 1990s. It became one of the most popular talk radio shows on the air.

Every Halloween Art would open up the lines for listeners to call in and tell true ghost stories live on the air (usually their personal experiences). On that night he would change the name to Ghost to Ghost AM. It was wonderful! He continued the tradition with Dark Matter (Spooky Matter) and Midnight in the Desert (Dead Air). Unfortunately, those shows were short-lived so they only had one Halloween episode each, whereas there were at least 17 Ghost to Ghost shows hosted by Art.

There are several Art Bell archives online, plus many episodes on YouTube. He interviewed a lot of interesting, and many wacky guests, in addition to his open lines shows. He was also interviewed many times over the years and some of those are on Youtube too.

I'm a fan, if you can't tell. Sadly, he died in 2018.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Don't worry, you don't sound like an idiot! I'm just so used to using internet chat shorthand that I forget not everyone knows all the abbreviations. DH = dear/darling husband, DD = dear/darling daughter, DS = dear/darling son. To be sure, some people think of a different "D" word if they want to be derogatory ;), but I think most of the time you can read them as positive endearments!
I could tell that you were talking about your spouse and kids, I just couldn't figure them out, happy haunting.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,744 Posts
Uhhh, excuse me. Why do you just ASSUME that we all love Halloween??? Seems presumptuous. 🤣🤪

• Haha
Reactions: matrixmom

·
Registered
94 Posts
Like my on-line name, I've always loved anything old, dark, spooky, scary, or anything horror and/or evil. I'm just not like most people, that's why my wife started calling me MR. MACABRE. I also love the fact that the days are getting shorter. I've always preferred the dark to bright light, and the smells of Fall are awesome, especially the smell of burnt pumpkin tops(jack-o-lanterns), pumpkin spice, and Halloween candy, especially candy-corn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's the harbringer of the end of the year. It involves chocolate. I appreciate the aesthetic. Honestly OP deescribed it qute well.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Fond memories of Halloweens past like many of you have written is the main reason I love Halloween. I also love anything that can get the whole family together to have a great time and add to the memory bank. I have always been a crafter and I enjoy the creativity of making things. The feeling of accomplishment when a prop / scene is finished and the fun it brings to others when they see it.

·
Registered
874 Posts
1st:
I'm heavily tattooed and all of my "artwork" is occult based and includes several jack-o-lanterns.
Post a picture of some, if you don't mind??

2nd: I see a common mention in most threads that also applies to me....Parents! If it wasn't for them, not sure how my view of Halloween would be. Having good, caring parents made the biggest impression. They sacrificed many times.

I can relate to many of the previous stories & I could probably write for hours but I'll try to simplify...

Very young years: Mom was no seamstress but made my first costume I can recall, an alligator, out of a green onesie with a pinned on stuffed tail & 1/2 mask for the "Halloween Parade" when I was in kindergarten. Don't recall how they actually set it up but each class would dress up & parade through the other classes so everyone could see the costumes of all students. My tail was heavy & would wag back & forth hitting the back of my legs & I remember being laughed at. Don't think I liked it but that was the only negative I remember. Mom always made sure me & 2 Sis's had costumes, had the house decorated & always carved some pumpkins & sat them on our piano bench looking out the front door for people to see as they arrived. Always made pumpkin seeds & said "have to use popcorn salt...not regular table salt & lots of butter". Dad would put up lights around our porch columns & string up spider web. They would man the door while we were out with friends TOT'g. That's when you would be out 6 or so hours vs. a lot less today. Bag so heavy full of candy, could hardly carry it & witnessed a few bags break of others. Almost everyone had decorations unlike today. Had a few notables around our very large subdivision...old single guy 70s or 80s (PJ) that would fill coffee cups with penny candy, another senior couple that lived next door to my best friend that gave us homemade popcorn balls (back when you could trust that) & our last stop was at Grandparents house (they lived 1-1/2 blocks away) & made us Jiffy Pop & hot chocolate. Always was over at their house since they had many huge Oak trees & Grandpa would make multiple piles of leaves that we would jump in.

Grade & High School Years: Pretty much the same above but picked out/made costumes myself, TOT'd more with friend groups & both Sis's went with their friends as we got older. Mom & Dad still decorated, carved pumpkins & made seeds. Dad became more involved with me since he would stay up & watch Creature Features with me & my friend all the time. He would also take us to the many horror flicks at the Drive-In. Decorations improved.

20s - 30s: Was out on my own in an apartment & known at work as the Hallloween Lady (people from other departments would seek me out to see what I was dressed up as). Always dressed up & had annual parties & even had friends of friends ask if they could come. Without description...parties could be civil with food, drinks, card games, banter & other parties, people were puking off my balcony to the street below, throwing pumpkins off my balcony, staggering guests,etc. One would never know how they would turn out. Aaaah to be young. Parties were always on a Fri. or Sat. & on different day than TOT'ers but still dressed up for them.

30s-40's: Built my home in the country. Accumulating decorations excelled greatly & still had my kegger parties early on. We were older so most were more civil but just drank too much. My unfinished lower level was built up like a haunted hallway & you had to walk through it to get into the party. Many lasted into the wee hours & 1 in particular was pretty rough. Again...kept separate from day the TOT'ers were on. Outside displays really ramped up even though I didn't have a lot of TOTer's. Most came from other subdivisions down the street & maybe got 50 tops on the best day.

40's to now: No parties (although I still had old co-workers begging me to up to before I retired 7 yrs ago) but I do have a few that come out to see my display. 1 Sis & Hubby live across the street & my other Sis & Bro-In-Law come out & if nice, we sit out in the drive around my firepit & have some beverages. Get many slow drive-by's from the time I start putting out stuff until taken down. Decor gets more advanced & expensive even though so few people see it but I do it for ME! I love & decorate for all Holidays, again thanks to Mom & Dad, but no where near what I do for Halloween, although Christmas is a close 2nd. I don't feel as much excitement as I do with Halloween & between that & Hummingbirds/Birds is about the only thing that gets my olding, weary sore body going anymore. Lately, I keep wanting to purge stuff as I can't keep up like I did in the past but Halloween stuff is off limits & just can't get rid of anything. When Mom was still alive, she would just shake her head at me as I bought more stuff. The Lemax, Dept. 56 & some Animatronics are screaming inside their boxes "please use me"!!!

To sum it up, I've always loved Halloween & Fall was always my favorite season...the cooler temps along with turtlenecks & giving up sandals for shoes & socks....many of the other scents mentioned above. As I age, I can't stand heat like I used to & here I am, inside on the Forum instead of outside after all the rain we've had & temps finally in the 70's instead of 90's. Shame on me!!! The want to overrode the have to. So you see, the most exciting & memorable memories are started at a very young age with wonderful Parents who cared. Notice I said memorable & not necessarily most fun though. Different kind of fun now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
1st:

Post a picture of some, if you don't mind??

2nd: I see a common mention in most threads that also applies to me....Parents! If it wasn't for them, not sure how my view of Halloween would be. Having good, caring parents made the biggest impression. They sacrificed many times.

I can relate to many of the previous stories & I could probably write for hours but I'll try to simplify...

Very young years: Mom was no seamstress but made my first costume I can recall, an alligator, out of a green onesie with a pinned on stuffed tail & 1/2 mask for the "Halloween Parade" when I was in kindergarten. Don't recall how they actually set it up but each class would dress up & parade through the other classes so everyone could see the costumes of all students. My tail was heavy & would wag back & forth hitting the back of my legs & I remember being laughed at. Don't think I liked it but that was the only negative I remember. Mom always made sure me & 2 Sis's had costumes, had the house decorated & always carved some pumpkins & sat them on our piano bench looking out the front door for people to see as they arrived. Always made pumpkin seeds & said "have to use popcorn salt...not regular table salt & lots of butter". Dad would put up lights around our porch columns & string up spider web. They would man the door while we were out with friends TOT'g. That's when you would be out 6 or so hours vs. a lot less today. Bag so heavy full of candy, could hardly carry it & witnessed a few bags break of others. Almost everyone had decorations unlike today. Had a few notables around our very large subdivision...old single guy 70s or 80s (PJ) that would fill coffee cups with penny candy, another senior couple that lived next door to my best friend that gave us homemade popcorn balls (back when you could trust that) & our last stop was at Grandparents house (they lived 1-1/2 blocks away) & made us Jiffy Pop & hot chocolate. Always was over at their house since they had many huge Oak trees & Grandpa would make multiple piles of leaves that we would jump in.

Grade & High School Years: Pretty much the same above but picked out/made costumes myself, TOT'd more with friend groups & both Sis's went with their friends as we got older. Mom & Dad still decorated, carved pumpkins & made seeds. Dad became more involved with me since he would stay up & watch Creature Features with me & my friend all the time. He would also take us to the many horror flicks at the Drive-In. Decorations improved.

20s - 30s: Was out on my own in an apartment & known at work as the Hallloween Lady (people from other departments would seek me out to see what I was dressed up as). Always dressed up & had annual parties & even had friends of friends ask if they could come. Without description...parties could be civil with food, drinks, card games, banter & other parties, people were puking off my balcony to the street below, throwing pumpkins off my balcony, staggering guests,etc. One would never know how they would turn out. Aaaah to be young. Parties were always on a Fri. or Sat. & on different day than TOT'ers but still dressed up for them.

30s-40's: Built my home in the country. Accumulating decorations excelled greatly & still had my kegger parties early on. We were older so most were more civil but just drank too much. My unfinished lower level was built up like a haunted hallway & you had to walk through it to get into the party. Many lasted into the wee hours & 1 in particular was pretty rough. Again...kept separate from day the TOT'ers were on. Outside displays really ramped up even though I didn't have a lot of TOTer's. Most came from other subdivisions down the street & maybe got 50 tops on the best day.

40's to now: No parties (although I still had old co-workers begging me to up to before I retired 7 yrs ago) but I do have a few that come out to see my display. 1 Sis & Hubby live across the street & my other Sis & Bro-In-Law come out & if nice, we sit out in the drive around my firepit & have some beverages. Get many slow drive-by's from the time I start putting out stuff until taken down. Decor gets more advanced & expensive even though so few people see it but I do it for ME! I love & decorate for all Holidays, again thanks to Mom & Dad, but no where near what I do for Halloween, although Christmas is a close 2nd. I don't feel as much excitement as I do with Halloween & between that & Hummingbirds/Birds is about the only thing that gets my olding, weary sore body going anymore. Lately, I keep wanting to purge stuff as I can't keep up like I did in the past but Halloween stuff is off limits & just can't get rid of anything. When Mom was still alive, she would just shake her head at me as I bought more stuff. The Lemax, Dept. 56 & some Animatronics are screaming inside their boxes "please use me"!!!

To sum it up, I've always loved Halloween & Fall was always my favorite season...the cooler temps along with turtlenecks & giving up sandals for shoes & socks....many of the other scents mentioned above. As I age, I can't stand heat like I used to & here I am, inside on the Forum instead of outside after all the rain we've had & temps finally in the 70's instead of 90's. Shame on me!!! The want to overrode the have to. So you see, the most exciting & memorable memories are started at a very young age with wonderful Parents who cared. Notice I said memorable & not necessarily most fun though. Different kind of fun now.
As soon as I'm able, I'll post photos of my artwork. Right now, all we have is a 10 year old laptop and it's too old to download and display photos. Our son ordered us a new I MAC computer, and as soon as we get it, I'll upload all of my heathen and Halloween ink.

·
Registered
341 Posts
There is an AM radio show called Coast to Coast AM which has been on the air for decades. It is now hosted by George Noory, but was originally hosted by Art Bell (a few others have guest hosted). Art also hosted several other radio shows and podcasts: Area 2000, Dreamland, Dark Matter, and Midnight in the Desert, in addition to writing books, publishing a newsletter called After Dark, founding KNYE, being a very active HAM radio operator, writing articles for radio magazines, guest starring on an episode of Dark Skies, and doing a Harris Teeter commercial. A book he co-wrote called The Coming Global Superstorm was the basis for the movie The Day After Tomorrow. C2C was originally a political talk show, but Art transitioned it into a show about the paranormal, UFOs, conspiracy theories, etc. in the early 1990s. It became one of the most popular talk radio shows on the air.

Every Halloween Art would open up the lines for listeners to call in and tell true ghost stories live on the air (usually their personal experiences). On that night he would change the name to Ghost to Ghost AM. It was wonderful! He continued the tradition with Dark Matter (Spooky Matter) and Midnight in the Desert (Dead Air). Unfortunately, those shows were short-lived so they only had one Halloween episode each, whereas there were at least 17 Ghost to Ghost shows hosted by Art.

There are several Art Bell archives online, plus many episodes on YouTube. He interviewed a lot of interesting, and many wacky guests, in addition to his open lines shows. He was also interviewed many times over the years and some of those are on Youtube too.

I'm a fan, if you can't tell. Sadly, he died in 2018.

I loved Art's show.
It wasn't on until 12 at night in my area though so I didn't catch it regularly.
What was great about Art was his ability to make every discussion on his show sound so real.
I'll try to find some of his Halloween stuff.

Thanks!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Apparently, I have an orange LED light fetish. Weird I know. :D

I also think that Halloween allows people to tap into "world building".
Our home setups or haunts or props or even making a costume is an act of creating another reality.
That's a fun and powerful thing if you're into it.

I can't think of too many other things that are like that.
Christmas is too but I think Halloween allows for more creativity.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Apparently, I have an orange LED light fetish. Weird I know. :D

I also think that Halloween allows people to tap into "world building".
Our home setups or haunts or props or even making a costume is an act of creating another reality.
That's a fun and powerful thing if you're into it.

I can't think of too many other things that are like that.
Christmas is too but I think Halloween allows for more creativity.
I'm hooked on Halloween, anytime we're in a store, especially in the Fall, I make a beeline if I see anything orange and or black. I can't help myself, my wife is the same way with x-mas, anything red and or green.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've always had a "goth" aesthetic, but I liked anything goth, celestial, and witchy my whole life. Not to mention I've been a horror fan since I was young as well. Fall was always my favorite season because of the cool weather and the orange leaves (I can't stand summer and hot weather). I grew up going to haunted attractions in the east coast (still do) and that leads to Halloween. Still miss being a kid dressing up and going trick r treating, but I celebrate other ways now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I feel as if past the 4th of July, the mental "spooky fog" begins to creep in for me and remind me that it's right around the corner!

I always wonder what is it that brings together such an odd mish mash of people who loves such an off-beat holiday/celebration. For me it's the following:

It's a feeling honestly. In late August here in NY, it's usually still blisteringly hot but towards that final week at night, you get this TINY TINGE of a chill in the air. A little hint and warning that the fall season is upon us. The leaves don't seem nearly as vibrant, almost terminal. The school season is creeping back, the energy is just ever so slightly different around that time. For me, that time brings back nostalgic feelings of being a carefree and happy child. The anxiety of going back to school, the smell of fresh pencils and cardboard from all the new school supplies. The ads for the all new Halloween movies coming out, and just a general sense of the restart in life. It makes me feel like everything's going to be ok, even if life is throwing curveballs!

Also, the long runway to the holiday season kicks off for me with the Fall weather. The decaying leaves, the crispy fall weather, the sweaters, the spookiness at night with the moon brightly illuminating the stars and the errant witch flying through the night air. It also is a reminder that life is a cycle, that everything passes and returns in someway or another. It reminds me that as a kid I had NO worries other than which pillowcase I was filling my candy into- which costume I wanted, which neighborhoods were giving our the soda and chips. Now, as an adult with an almost 2 year old, I look forward to giving him that feeling of constant happiness. I don't what it is, but Halloween just slows life down for me and puts things in a very optimistic perspective as ironic as that sounds.

My tradition annually is to start watching The Nightmare Before Christmas in late September to celebrate in the incoming festivities, and to end it by watching it again on Halloween Night to get ready for next year.

I can't wait to be holding my son's hand, pumpkin beer in the other, sipping on it while relishing the crisp fall air, telling him stories from his old man's days. I've even turned my beautiful wife into a Halloween fiend lol.

Anyway, what do you guys think makes it special for you?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I associate it with memories of returning to school. I also start to get that feeling in late July. I notice that the sound of the crickets is more pronounced as well as sounds of not sure if cicadas or locusts. In my experience in Iowa it seemed like we had more incidences of literal ground fog in Aug. I remember walking to school as a kid in Oct. and walking in the grass with the first frost of the year. Raking up leaf piles with my friends. Just seems to be the most nostalgic holiday.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts