Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel as if past the 4th of July, the mental "spooky fog" begins to creep in for me and remind me that it's right around the corner!

I always wonder what is it that brings together such an odd mish mash of people who loves such an off-beat holiday/celebration. For me it's the following:

It's a feeling honestly. In late August here in NY, it's usually still blisteringly hot but towards that final week at night, you get this TINY TINGE of a chill in the air. A little hint and warning that the fall season is upon us. The leaves don't seem nearly as vibrant, almost terminal. The school season is creeping back, the energy is just ever so slightly different around that time. For me, that time brings back nostalgic feelings of being a carefree and happy child. The anxiety of going back to school, the smell of fresh pencils and cardboard from all the new school supplies. The ads for the all new Halloween movies coming out, and just a general sense of the restart in life. It makes me feel like everything's going to be ok, even if life is throwing curveballs!

Also, the long runway to the holiday season kicks off for me with the Fall weather. The decaying leaves, the crispy fall weather, the sweaters, the spookiness at night with the moon brightly illuminating the stars and the errant witch flying through the night air. It also is a reminder that life is a cycle, that everything passes and returns in someway or another. It reminds me that as a kid I had NO worries other than which pillowcase I was filling my candy into- which costume I wanted, which neighborhoods were giving our the soda and chips. Now, as an adult with an almost 2 year old, I look forward to giving him that feeling of constant happiness. I don't what it is, but Halloween just slows life down for me and puts things in a very optimistic perspective as ironic as that sounds.

My tradition annually is to start watching The Nightmare Before Christmas in late September to celebrate in the incoming festivities, and to end it by watching it again on Halloween Night to get ready for next year.

I can't wait to be holding my son's hand, pumpkin beer in the other, sipping on it while relishing the crisp fall air, telling him stories from his old man's days. I've even turned my beautiful wife into a Halloween fiend lol.

Anyway, what do you guys think makes it special for you?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really identify with what you posted above. I remember walking home from school with the leaves falling and getting excited looking at which houses were decorated no matter how small the decorations were. I used to spend all my birthday money on halloween stuff and nothing has really changed even though I’m 40.

So many great memories are associated with the entire month of October - football in the street, haunted houses, decorating. I feel most at peace and nostalgic during that great month/ holiday. We don’t get many ToT but I decorate anyway hoping to give the next generation childhood memories like I had. People can have their winter/Xmas, I will take Halloween and October any day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
One magazine article gave a good explanation about why many people like Halloween... "It is a way to be scared but knowing you are safe." Unlike an earthquake or a tornado. And it can be fun for people of all ages. I also like the fact that many yard haunts have effects that are mysterious; some are hard to figure how they work. Adds to the fun!

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's hard to explain why I love Halloween so much. As long as I can remember I've always loved anything that is dark, evil, or horror related. As a kid I loved watching old horror movies, the Vincent Price/Edgar Allen Poe ones are still my favorites. I also love The Nightmare Before Xmas, we watch that and It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown every year as a family without fail. I'm heavily tattooed and all of my "artwork" is occult based and includes several jack-o-lanterns. It's hard to put into words why I love this time of year, but I always have and always will.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Love all these posts! Great topic at @sp00kmaster and I’m sure your son will find the same joy you do!

For me, it’s the total combination of “sweet and salty”. Sure I’ll laugh but might scream and get a scare too. Laughing and getting spooked are thrills and remind me I’m alive! Halloween has great energy. It’s the only holiday that brings all my neighbors to my door with no requirement really. Born in the fall it’s always my favorite time of year.

I’ve heard people say they don’t like Halloween cause they don’t like their children getting all that candy and I often scratch my head. Your child is dressing up into whatever is fascinating to them in this wonderful snapshot of their life and getting a giggle or a fright too! Might even be a future haunter in there somewhere.

And finally, we all interpret Halloween in our own way with our haunts and seem to not hate on others for interpreting it a little differently. I like witches. Maybe you like clowns. In the end, I think it’s just nice to be part of a positive community without all the negativity where we can all say we like a common thing even if we all appreciate and celebrate a little differently.

Happy Haunting! 👻🎃🧙🏻🧛🏻🧡🖤🧡🖤

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have enjoyed Halloween and autumn since my earliest memories. The atmosphere of the season - the spookiness, the colors, the scents, the food, the traditions - plays a significant part.

As I have aged, my approach to the holiday has changed. I spent time researching its history and folklore, learned about related celebrations, and recently have taken a greater interest in learning about the saints. That youthful sense of wonder has somewhat diminished and been replaced by an interest in being more 'creative'. Sometimes I wish I could recapture that feeling from my childhood.

My young grandchildren will give me a chance to watch them enjoying it with the same stress-free enthusiasm I once had.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Halloween has always just been fun. As a mother of 3 Thanksgiving and Christmas sometimes just feel like so much work! Halloween has always been about a good time with my family spooky movies, cozy bonfires, crisp fall air, and bright smiling jack-o-lanterns. I 100% agree with the sentiment above that after the 4th of July my spooky side starts to tap me on the shoulder.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I feel so much what all of you have said above. The nostalgia, the thrill in the air, the lack of pressure. The brush with death, but inevitable survival. The joy of creation of costumes and decor! All of that is powerful.
For me it’s also about community. It’s the one night we open our doors to strangers and make them a gift. It’s a connection point back to my family members who also love this holiday. It’s a good excuse to gather together friends in celebration, and wearing slightly spooky jewelry to the office has been how I’ve met some of my dearest friends.
I love all of this about it, and I’m sure someone else will mention something new and I’ll go oh! That too!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I love this post! And by reading everyone's responses just gives me all the feels. And OP said it perfectly!

The entire month of October just has a magical feel to it. The changing of the leaves, the crisp air, smells...all of it.
Its also the time of year that I am feeling most nostalgic. My parents always made that time of year so special for us. From pumpkin/apple picking, decorating our house, spooky music, getting costumes, scary movies....all of it.

My kids are 5 & 8 and I want them to have the same fond memories that I had as a kid. One of their favorite things to do around Halloween is watch old school 80' & 90's Halloween commercials & specials on YouTube. I love that they enjoy them as much as I do.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Halloween/Fall just feels like home to me.
This right here.

When Halloween stuff starts trickling out, or when I start putting things out, or even just really paying attention to the things I do leave out year round, I feel like the rest of the world slips away and I can breathe again.

The sparks of magic in the air, the way the weather slowly (and I do mean slowly since I'm in the south) shifts away from summer and the world begins to change? More of that, please. As a kid, anything felt possible on Halloween and while it doesn't quite feel the same as an adult, trying to share that same feeling with other people does come close.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,240 Posts
I have loved since I was young, the neighborhood had decor, walk thru "haunted houses" etc. But what I love most about now, is the creative outlet of possibilities that it brings! You can turn any theme creepy and it shows here on this forum and others. You just can't do that with Christmas, we decorate, but its limited in its theme ideas. Its artistic techniques is also very forgiving for those of us who are not artists, the dark hides alot of imperfections and you can mask more with the right lighting.

·
Registered
776 Posts
For me sometimes it is a feeling that can be hard to describe and while fall is the best time of year, I try and enjoy a bit of Halloween at other times of the year through music, crafting, and watching Halloween shows. I have always been thrilled when I would see something new in the stores or a photo someone posts of their creations, when I smell fall in the air, feel the cooler temperatures and see the colors change, when I connect with others who also love the season. A holiday where it is all joy and no expectations. Great to have a place where others feel the same

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I love fall & Halloween for so many reasons! Fall has always been my favorite season, but Halloween in particular has always had a special feel to it. My DH & I started decorating his yard before we got married and it has only escalated every year since. Like others have mentioned, I love the creative aspect of our display (inside & out), but something I especially love is that even if a bunch of yards have the same prop or the same idea of a haunted cornfield or graveyard, it's always going to look sooooo different! I love that! Everyone puts such a personal spin on their decorations and even if a theme isn't my favorite, I really enjoy seeing the different personalities that come out when a person decorates.

I also love Halloween because it feels like a community holiday to me, much more than any other. Whether it's in the weeks before Halloween as our neighbors go for walks and compliment us & have a chat as we're setting up our display, or in the many groups of TOT we get, or the cars that drive by for the first time because they "heard" they should come up our street and then come back every year after - that just really speaks to me. It doesn't matter if you are a kid or adult - if you come to our house on Halloween and say Trick or Treat or Happy Halloween - we offer candy or drinks! We don't care about costumes even though we love to see them, and legit I love the idea of people who don't live in my neighborhood specifically coming around to visit! We could be instilling a life-long love of Halloween into someone new when they see our display, and I try never to forget that, because wow what a gift we get to give to people!

I can't wait to be holding my son's hand, pumpkin beer in the other, sipping on it while relishing the crisp fall air, telling him stories from his old man's days. I've even turned my beautiful wife into a Halloween fiend lol.
Sp00kmaster - I have a DD9 and DS7, and having them grow up with a love of Halloween has been wonderful! My DD was born in September, and her first Halloween we have lots of pictures of her as a newborn with her bundled up in a stroller in our yard as my DH and I set up our display. Early on and all through the toddler years, we made a point of putting our scarier props in our front room (ie lifesize witch, zombie, skeletons, etc), and DH thought I was crazy but I talked to the props and introduced DD & DS to them as "friends". Of course, now every single one of our props have names and often DD & DS are reluctant to put them outside in the yard because "Mom, what if Phoebe gets cold?" (Phoebe is our female graveyard mourner). LOL! But the great thing is - they've never been afraid of our display and take great pride showing it off and coming up with ideas of their own, and they also reassure anxious kids about how everything in our yard is pretend. I have no doubt that they will love Halloween forever at this point too! DH is super excited to show them some scarier movies as they get older, and I had so much fun choosing costumes for them while they still let me. Really, Halloween is my favorite holiday to share with the kids, for sure!

Lastly - I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention the FOOD of Halloween & fall! OH MY LORD THE FOOD!

Halloween is really just the best all around.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Wow, some of you "LOVE" Halloween?
What about all the work, making stuff, setting stuff up, packing stuff back up, the cost of buying stuff to make stuff, or just buying the stuff and buying the stuff you handout free to all of those freeloaders who come trespassing onto your property and then worrying about what kind of weather stuff your going to get that night.
YOU LOVE ALL THAT STUFF! GOOD FOR YOU!
Jerseyscare

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Been listening to old episodes of Ghost to Ghost AM, and at the beginning of one, Art Bell mentions that on this night "anything can happen". That thought makes the night seem more exciting.
If you don't mind me asking, what is "Ghost to Ghost AM"? Sounds interesting. Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I love fall & Halloween for so many reasons! Fall has always been my favorite season, but Halloween in particular has always had a special feel to it. My DH & I started decorating his yard before we got married and it has only escalated every year since. Like others have mentioned, I love the creative aspect of our display (inside & out), but something I especially love is that even if a bunch of yards have the same prop or the same idea of a haunted cornfield or graveyard, it's always going to look sooooo different! I love that! Everyone puts such a personal spin on their decorations and even if a theme isn't my favorite, I really enjoy seeing the different personalities that come out when a person decorates.

I also love Halloween because it feels like a community holiday to me, much more than any other. Whether it's in the weeks before Halloween as our neighbors go for walks and compliment us & have a chat as we're setting up our display, or in the many groups of TOT we get, or the cars that drive by for the first time because they "heard" they should come up our street and then come back every year after - that just really speaks to me. It doesn't matter if you are a kid or adult - if you come to our house on Halloween and say Trick or Treat or Happy Halloween - we offer candy or drinks! We don't care about costumes even though we love to see them, and legit I love the idea of people who don't live in my neighborhood specifically coming around to visit! We could be instilling a life-long love of Halloween into someone new when they see our display, and I try never to forget that, because wow what a gift we get to give to people!

Sp00kmaster - I have a DD9 and DS7, and having them grow up with a love of Halloween has been wonderful! My DD was born in September, and her first Halloween we have lots of pictures of her as a newborn with her bundled up in a stroller in our yard as my DH and I set up our display. Early on and all through the toddler years, we made a point of putting our scarier props in our front room (ie lifesize witch, zombie, skeletons, etc), and DH thought I was crazy but I talked to the props and introduced DD & DS to them as "friends". Of course, now every single one of our props have names and often DD & DS are reluctant to put them outside in the yard because "Mom, what if Phoebe gets cold?" (Phoebe is our female graveyard mourner). LOL! But the great thing is - they've never been afraid of our display and take great pride showing it off and coming up with ideas of their own, and they also reassure anxious kids about how everything in our yard is pretend. I have no doubt that they will love Halloween forever at this point too! DH is super excited to show them some scarier movies as they get older, and I had so much fun choosing costumes for them while they still let me. Really, Halloween is my favorite holiday to share with the kids, for sure!

Lastly - I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention the FOOD of Halloween & fall! OH MY LORD THE FOOD!

Halloween is really just the best all around.
I know that I sound like an idiot, but what do the acronyms DD, DS, & DH mean?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I remember growing up and being mystified by all the spooky, creepy and eerie things that have do with halloween. I'm a huge fan of all the seasons since I'm in CT...I want to enjoy all of them to the fullest and Halloween to me is the epicenter of all that is fall/autumn. It's usually not till mid-August that I start to feel the wind of All Hallow's Eve....It's then that I look forward to the brisk autumn days, crisp nights and a smiling Jack spotted in a window. Halloween decorations in stores, pumpkin ales and autumn brews line the local shelves. I absolutely revel in it, always looking for a way to enjoy those spooky days. The air just feels full of mystery and magic. We have an annual fair that's on Labor day weekend and to me, that's the beginning of fall. That's when the house is all decked out in Halloween decorations, orange lights everywhere and Halloween music is played daily. I start listening to more Halloween themed pod casts and to all of my favorite spooky music. I finally found some Halloween books I had that when I was a kid, just to relive all of that childhood magic. I love the feeling of the entire autumn season and hope that the magic I associate with it, never disappears.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts