Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a new solenoid from FrightProps for my small Lunger we bought from them a few years back.
It is a 12v dc, was hooked up to a dual acting cylinder and a PicoBoo One.
At first I had the Picoboo One doing the power for it ... but the lunger only moved inches, so I tried the power supply directly to the solenoid.

Either way I did it, the lunger only moved a few inches, no scare, so it was abanded the big night.
The electrical part of the solenoid was burning hot to touch. We played hot potato with it between our hands until we could touch it safely.

so why would a brand new solenoid heat up like that? What did we do incorrectly on it and not the other 4 in the display??

·
Registered
80 Posts
If its the only one malfunctioning, it might be faulty? Heat usually indicates it's stuck on, or there's a short somewhere?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yes, a solenoid would only heat up if power is supplied to it constantly. During normal operation, a solenoid would only be activated intermittently. Sounds like either a wiring or controller problem, or a short in the solenoid so even intermittent operation is too much for it.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Even a solenoid that is powered constantly shouldn't ever get as hot as you have described. If everything is connected properly and the voltage is correct, there's something drastically wrong with that coil.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay thanks.

So basically Fright Props screwed me once again, knowing I cannot return it, eh?
Last years solenoid worked a month during testing but stopped getting all power once moved outside. The electrical part of it stopped working.
All the solenoids I have that I purchased from a local Canadian company, work great ...

guess no more purchases from Fright Props for me. Too bad too, could use some more motors and lungers.

Any tests I can do on this hot one to see if it is dead or broken?
Wiring must be okay as I replaced the solenoid with another with the same setup and everything worked fine.

Fright props support was of no help. Just sent me a link to their documentation on setting it up.... useless for troubleshooting.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If you have a multimeter, and another solenoid, you could measure a good one's resistance, and then the bad one and see how they compare. That might tell you something.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,767 Posts
I've got quite a few of the cheap Chinese solenoids off eBay and they're working great. Fraction of the cost of Princess Auto if that where you are buying locally. Just remember to get the fittings too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts