Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We did a dry run last night of our haunt and except for having to get a couple more extension cords we are ready. Knock on wood, this has been the smoothest year so far in prop making and setup. I'm usually working until the day of Halloween to get things finished or repairing older props. Anybody else ready and just counting the days?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I am pretty much almost set. All my props have been built and tested, but not everything is out yet. My main attraction, which is a Magic Mirror is already set up to go. I did a dry run on this as well. I just have to put up one fence to keep people in line, set up a couple signs and set up my singing pumpkin display.

I was going to set up the singing pumpkins today, but I have been holding off a bit because of the weather. First they said we were going to get rain tomorrow (Wed) morning. Naturally I didn't want my set up out yet if that was the case. The Magic Mirror is in a totally enclosed vestibule, so with the door shut everything will stay dry.

This year I have the display nicely nested between two very large bushes that are on the side of the house (where the entire display is located). So there is already a good amount of cover for a light rain or drizzle, but I am not comfortable with that. So changing my plans to set up the pumpkins tomorrow, for today, I am debating if I should put a tarp over the pumpkin display. It wouldn't be too difficult to set up the tarp over the singing pumpkin's facade I built and between the two bushes.

The thing I don't like about tarps is even though they are excellent for keeping things dry they are horrible when it comes to another enemy of a Halloween haunter and that is...wind. Having dealt with TWO windy Halloweens in a row, my setup is built more to handle wind than rain, but I have factored that in as well with most of my props. Light rain and moderate wind I can handle, but if either is heavy, I would be forced to shut my display down.

Looking at the latest weather report it looks like it might be a good day tomorrow after all. The rain is expected to come in late on Halloween night and rain all day Friday. IF....IF that is the case, then I should be good. But I do have the tarp ready just in case.

So as it stands, if the weather holds up the way it is, I probably will have a hectic day tomorrow to get the final items in place, but I should be more than ready for Halloween.

Geo

·
Registered
277 Posts
Haven't even begun yet...although all the props are ready. I think it'll go up tomorrow. I'm lucky in that ToT around here is on Friday night, so that buys me an extra day before it'll be seen by anyone but the neighbors.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I just need another coat of paint on the Creature From The Black Lagoon's head, and run an adapter for the jumping spider, and I'm done. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have 18 more pumpkins to carve and build all my characters! That's about it! I have to wait till the day of, due to us selling Halloween costumes until the day before at our house, so feeling the pressure now!

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
Carve a pumpkin on Wednesday night, fill the fogger to the top and set it up and I'm done. Did an easy one this year and skipped the walkthrough in the basement but it's my best outdoor display.

Nothing compared to what others do but best one on the block. ;)

·
Registered
600 Posts
LOL! I am not even close to being ready. I still have to put up the mad scientist scene,which btw is not finished. I have a few hours tonight to finish up what can.Whatever is not done prob will not get done. I need more lights and don't have any(hmm I do have some leds already wired, now just need to find something to make a spot light.) Oh and still need to carve the pumpkins. My son's is 15 lbs and mine is 55lbs. Yeah the next 2 days should be fun.

·
>^..^<
793 Posts
Believe it or not, we actually finished setting up last night. So apart from the fact that I can't stop fiddling with the lighting, I'm ready.

Of course, with predicted rain showers, we could possibly wind up with slightly more gruesome props than currently, ooze-wise. But hey, that counts too! :D

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,276 Posts
I wish I was. :( Trick or Treat was Saturday and I was away for the weekend packing inventory and celebrating my last day of work until next year. I'm still working on my display at home and have a few things displayed here at my MIL's. Several things including my cauldron creep never got past the idea stage. More are in the in-between stage of started but not completed.

I did however get an added bonus in my yard. Hubby was loading firewood to sell and found the old septic tank I had warned him was out there somewhere (though I was always told it was a good fifty feet from where it actually was). So now I have a six-foot pit in my yard covered with boards. Maybe I should lower my laser vortex into it and take full advantage of the situation. :D The only good thing about it so far is that it hasn't been used in over 14 years so we don't have to deal with the smell of fresh sewage! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts