Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to be morbid, but if you were to quit haunting or (gasp) pass away, who would you leave your props and decorations to?

We have no children and I have no siblings. I do have a niece, a step-niece and a step-nephew by marriage, but none of them are into Halloween.

I'd hate to see my stuff get thrown away. At the rate I'm going with making props, there could be tons of it. :rolleyes:

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I will eventually be setting up a nonprofit organization that will handle storing, tracking, transporting and maintaining my collection (plus donations) and provide props for other nonprofits to use in charity haunts. I want to eventually have a collection available that will support a dozen or so different local one-night haunts every October, with a lot of mixing and matching going on.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Meh, don't care. I won't be there to care.

If I were to stop doing it, I'd pass it on to someone that needs it. There's always someone on craigslist looking for props & decorations.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,492 Posts
We have three sons, all of whom have a like for Halloween. I think most of the stuff would go to them. Anything they didn't want would be donated or sold.

·
Registered
471 Posts
This is what I would like to do if I knew it was time to "check out" - Fill the toe pincher with salt and climb in. That way when whoever starts emptying out the house and starts in on the prop room there would be a "Grand Scare" for them. ;)
Could you imagine - seeing tons of props and scary stuff too have you on nerve then finding a real body in the casket ! :D

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
My niece likes Halloween as much as I do, but she doesn't like to have "stuff" laying around, even in storage. I don't know if she would change her mind on that if she had a house vs. an apartment or not.

My sister would probably take it, but not put it up. She lives in a rural area where they don't get ToTs. My boyfriend isn't into Halloween. My mom lives in a retirement home.

It would probably all wind up at Goodwill!

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
This is what I would like to do if I knew it was time to "check out" - Fill the toe pincher with salt and climb in. That way when whoever starts emptying out the house and starts in on the prop room there would be a "Grand Scare" for them. ;)
Could you imagine - seeing tons of props and scary stuff too have you on nerve then finding a real body in the casket ! :D
Nice idea, but I see some problems. First, if you climb in and check out, how will anyone know what happened? Your home will instead become an abandoned property. Your town might seize it for unpaid taxes a few years down the road, but more likely they'll just slap a lien on it and auction that off to some real estate speculator. After trying to collect the debt and failing, they'll foreclose on the house and send a crew to empty it out. Everything you own, including your halloween props and the years-mummified you in the salt-filled toepincher coffin, will end up in a dumpster and hauled off to a landfill. If you're lucky, one or more of the cleanup crew will have a side business of sorting and selling the valuable items in the house, and you'll end up on sale online for about $2k, five or six years after you died. :D

·
Registered
874 Posts
we have no children either just the furry feline kind (we do have a trust set up for them to be taken care of) as for all the stuff well if i go first the hubby will give it to goodwill! or he can donate it to the local animal shelter which has 3 thift stores here! maybe one of my nieces but not sure.......:eek:

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Nice idea, but I see some problems. First, if you climb in and check out, how will anyone know what happened? Your home will instead become an abandoned property. Your town might seize it for unpaid taxes a few years down the road, but more likely they'll just slap a lien on it and auction that off to some real estate speculator. After trying to collect the debt and failing, they'll foreclose on the house and send a crew to empty it out. Everything you own, including your halloween props and the years-mummified you in the salt-filled toepincher coffin, will end up in a dumpster and hauled off to a landfill. If you're lucky, one or more of the cleanup crew will have a side business of sorting and selling the valuable items in the house, and you'll end up on sale online for about $2k, five or six years after you died. :D
Oh man...that actually sounds awesome!! I'd be worth more dead than alive!!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,826 Posts
I don't have kids, and no relatives that would be remotely interested either, so most likely at some point we'll end up selling off everything.

I have had a thought of just posting a "free to a good ~spooky~ home" giveaway at some point, so at least a real haunter will get to enjoy my props. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would leave my collection to the town I live in.

It was built for them, to support the Fire Department fund raiser.
Are they even "my" props now? I paid for them, I built them and they
are referred to as "mine". But...they were built for sole purpose of
my "giving back" to the community I call home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts