Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a great night here with many of the kids coming back through to see the garage a second time. Many dragging their parents in second time around. Even the "teens" were impressed and had nice things to say.

Unfortunately, my worst visitor was the Grandson of a co-worker that came by to see the display. First off, the daughter parks right in front of my house blocking the view... I figured no big deal, they'll stop, see the display, and they'll leave... wrong. Turns out, they leave their car there and take the grandson from Hell trick or treating while they are there... Kid comes in the first time, totally afraid, clinging to his mom like a little girl..... second time he comes into the garage, he's standing there screaming at Boris "I want candy, I want candy" Mom never says a word. It took every ounce of control I had not to fire the spider and take him down with it.

Comes back again, after trick or treating, next thing I know he's running around in my graveyard (which is totally fenced off). Now he is standing in front of my chiller screaming at the fogger telling it to make more fog. The whole time the mother is just standing there watching him. :rolleyes: I could only have hoped that he would have fallen over something ....

My second runner up was a woman that came into the garage talking loudly on her cell phone during the whole routine. I was pleased to see her holding a finger in her ear trying to hear after I activated the spider. :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
LOL Sorry for your aggravation, but it sounds like you had fun with it!

Everyone was really good, but if I had to pick my worst ( which aren't bad at all ) there was the kid who knocked hard on the Magic Mirror's monitor trying to make it do what he wanted and my friend's father who got startled by my MIB and then went to "fix" it because the lid was "caught on the chain" and obviously that couldn't be right... :rolleyes: LOL

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL Sorry for your aggravation, but it sounds like you had fun with it!

Everyone was really good, but if I had to pick my worst ( which aren't bad at all ) there was the kid who knocked hard on the Magic Mirror's monitor trying to make it do what he wanted and my friend's father who got startled by my MIB and then went to "fix" it because the lid was "caught on the chain" and obviously that couldn't be right... :rolleyes: LOL
We had about 130 kids, so only having one bad egg, I'm not going to complain too much. The other 129 kids totally make it worth the effort. :)

ha ha ha about fixing the MIB.... sounds like something my Dad would do. :rolleyes:

·
Vicious Dog Wrangler
1,012 Posts
Everyone was really cool...except one lady. She was walking up our steps with her maybe 6 year old son. The kid tripped over his overly long grim reaper cape. He didn't cry or anything, but when they mom got to the door she said "My son just fell on your steps!" I was like, "Are you ok buddy?" He nods a yes, I give him the candy and a glow stick. He says thank you and the mom shoots me a look like I was the one who tripped her kid. Like it was MY fault she put a child in a costume which was clearly too long and a hazard, especially when walking up and down steps. I don't even HAVE kids and I know that costumes which are too long, inhibit movement, or obscure vision are hazards. We are waiting for the lawsuit.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Had a truckload of kids and parents, no costumes, didn't speak English who were asking for candy while all the lights were off and we were taking down the props! Their kids had to translate for them. I got a few swear words and racial remarks thrown my way as well because they probably didn't know I speak a little Spanish after volunteering in Ecuador to give shots to dogs for rabies vaccinations a few years back :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
1) We had some crowd-control issues with too many kids on the pier, but that was soon remedied with a couple of our party-goers taking up positions at the entrance to control things...

2) We had one odd girl come up and ask for a bottle of water claiming that we should give one to her because she could see them from where she was (on a table in our private party). Fearing that perhaps there was a sick kid who needed it, I gave her one, but when another girl (with the other) asked for the same thing, I declined.

3) The occasional kid coming over our barrier into our various areas.

Not too many other issues this time around. Considering the large number of trick 'r treaters, it was a pretty smooth night overall.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had three hispanic women bring about 5 children and one lady in particular kept asking me questions in broken english I couldn't understand.

I run a Western union and have 14 years under my beltwith dealing with other dialects from spanish to zimbabwean but I couldn't get hers.

I swear on my life she asked me if my Vampire (in its coffin) was a seat?!?!!

I was like "ah, no, don't sit there"

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,182 Posts
on halloween i was screwing around in the mall handing out candy to people in costume, no problems there :)

but i helped out on day 2 of running the haunt and had 4 boys (rough age estimate of 10-13) run through over and over....and over....and over... for 2 hours. well hour and a half cause they first 2 to show up didnt want to come up onto the porch for a half hour but they hung around outside. turns out they were there halloween night running through a few times too. they took turns trying to scare each other and asking about haunts and im all for their enthusiasm about the stuff, but sometimes you just want them to go away.

they were the only ones for those 2 hours and we finally shut down (mostly to get rid of them)

then a little over an hour later opened up for a bit after a caller asked if we were open and got a few more people through.

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
My only complaint is about the teenage idiots that don't listen when you are practically right in there face yelling, "NO RUNNING!!!" Some really little kids were like bowling pins.

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
I just had one problem person A lady my wife went to high school with came up and planted her three kids right in front of one of my foggers and stood around with no costume trying to make sure every one knew "I know the people who live here so it's alright" I felt bad for the kids cause getting parked in some ones yard while every one around them was having fun was their whole Halloween. I was ticked at her for believing her own BS. The wife is going to have a chat with her later this week.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
Everyone was really cool...except one lady. She was walking up our steps with her maybe 6 year old son. The kid tripped over his overly long grim reaper cape. He didn't cry or anything, but when they mom got to the door she said "My son just fell on your steps!" I was like, "Are you ok buddy?" He nods a yes, I give him the candy and a glow stick. He says thank you and the mom shoots me a look like I was the one who tripped her kid. Like it was MY fault she put a child in a costume which was clearly too long and a hazard, especially when walking up and down steps. I don't even HAVE kids and I know that costumes which are too long, inhibit movement, or obscure vision are hazards. We are waiting for the lawsuit.
Aww, come on, ya know it's not the cape,but that "special" neumatic moving stair piece that you installed just to trip little kids with oversized costumes......LOL :rolleyes:
Sometimes it's people like that lady that are the problem with ruining the fun & blaming others for her lack of saftey for her kid.I would hate to be her kid........

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
My oldest daughter had several friends with her and stopped at the house enroute to the home football game (all juniors and seniors) in costume. There was a younger boy tagging along with them, middle school aged. Most ill-mannered boy I have ever met. My middle daughter had a run in with him asking him to throw away his plate (he along with the rest of the group ate as we were having a party as well), and then demanded a soda from another party attendee.

My wife summoned me inside from my post in the gravyard and told me about this kid, so in I go to see what he's about. I get to the kitchen in time to hear him get lippy with one of our friends and I walk up to him and ask him who he is, find out he's the little brother of one of the olders that is having to keep hime around for his parents. I told him he needed to mind his manners as a guest in our house and he made the mistake of saying he only answers to his dad. I took him by his arm and promptly moved him out the door to the sidewalk and told him that he could wait there for his brother as he was no longer welcome in my home.

Daughter and friends (along with boy's brother) came out to get the kid out of my sight before I took him to his dad personally. Other then that, only the annoying boy from across the street that decided on his own accord to come over and pop out of some landscaping on in our yard to scare people. He decided that it wasn't such a good idea when a little girl of about six hit him in the gonads with her candy pail when he jumped out on her! Also one of the funniest moments of the night!:D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Everything for the most part was wonderful. We get mostly kids and familys from the neighborhood. However there was one large group a family that was not from the neighhood, the parents were on their cell phones while the kids were stealing beakers off my lab table. I caught them asked them not to take anything off the tables please. I get that how dare you say anything to me then they go to the door to get there treats and leave I do not think they got anything befor I caught them!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
We had about 250 TOTs. We also had kids walking thru our fenced off graveyard. We had the bubble fogger by the candy, and a couple of kids were a little too fascinated with it!! They almost knocked over our table and display!! We had to ask them to move on....On a positive note the bubble fogger was a HUGE hit with the littlest TOTs!! We bought 2 more on clearance for next year!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,846 Posts
The @zzholes that stole a presidential sign out of a neighbor's yard. IN FRONT OF THEIR SMALL CHILDREN. :mad:

Sure, teach them that if you don't agree with someone's choice, you can be a total jerk.:mad::(

I had some of the most polite little ones ever this year, so it was really a nasty feeling when I realized what had happened. Sort of put a pall over the whole night.

·
Registered
355 Posts
For the most part, the people who came to see our yard were awesome. We got many compliments that blew me away =)

I was a little concerned though, when a couple of boys, I'm guessing in the age range of 9-11 kept running in and out of the ditch, which we had lined with flaming tiki torches.... there will DEFINATLY be a fence next year to fix that hazard. I kept waiting for someone to catch themselves on fire or break a leg or both! I hadn't thought that would be a problem, but I guess you learn from experience. I'm just glad that no one got hurt.

Oh, and one kid punched my husband in the face, while he was walking through one of the crowds in costume. The kid's dad took care of that situation though =) Thank God that there are some parents with good parenting skills in this world! =)

·
Creepy Clown Is Redundant
642 Posts
We had over 500 people go through and a handful of teenage boys that were a pain in my butt. Seems some teenage boys like to act tuff in front of people . I just ignored them ,but I'm afraid one day someone will go too far. The day that happens I may lose my cool and beat the crap out of someone. I don't want to hurt anyone ,but I won't tolerate anyone putting their hands on me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts