Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught some of the documentary American Scary last night on Netflix. It's about the Horror Hosts of late night local television. You probably had (or even still have one) in your market. Elvira and Vampira are the most famous. The movie was a lot of fun.

For me, growing up in the Fox Cities area of Wisconsin, Ned the Dead was the man! http://www.nedthedead.com/

So, who was your late night horror host?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Christopher Coffin "the guardian of the ghouls"-- WJRT Flint, MI He was a "cool" character, with fedora, van dyke beard, sunglasses, and smoking a cigarette.

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
I don't think we still had any local ones by the time I was growing up in the late 80s. But I do remember Elvira, the Crypt Keeper, and especially Joe Bob Briggs. I think Briggs was on TNT, and he usually did more bad sci-fi than horror, but I think I watched him more than the others.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I grew up watching Elvira. I was from Manteca, she's in Modesto so it was like we were neighbors :p

I watched Crypt Keeper and JoeBob Briggs (both incarnations) on tv. They are not necessarily horror but I still love MST3K!

Our local guy is Zomboo (pronounced Zom-bow). He's a great guy and I have worked with him on his show! Nothing better than eating pizza and watching horrible Mexican wrestler horror movies! http://www.zomboo.com Plus he makes all sorts of local appearances and charity events.
My story with Zomboo is this. I used to watch Xena religiously and it was on really late in our area, like 11PM! One day watching the credits Xena actually did a in-the-actor's-chair promo for Zomboo (though she pronounced it Zom-boo :p ) so I said "... WTF??" I watched and it was the completely worst movie ever: Santa Claus vs the Martians! Holy Crap I loved it and started watching the show. He has a segment where viewers send in pictures and he'll show it on his show. I sent one in and it got on! Holy crap he was for real! Then I sent him a letter saying that I loved his show and grew up with horror hosts and would love to do it, too. He called me up and asked if I wanted to be a part of the show writing jokes and skits. I said "HELL YEAH!" I did that for almost a year. I think my name is still in the credits, he he. He even put out a book about his show and I'min that, too. I felt so cool!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I grew up in the Bay Area and our horror host was Bob Wilkins. The show was called Ceature Features and it was on every Saturday night. Bob was great! He was this mild mannered guy who wore black eyeglasses and smoked a cigar.
He always sat in a rocking chair while he introduced the movie selection of he evening. As kids we thought we were so cool getting to stay up late and watch scary movies.

hqdefault.jpg

http://www.bobwilkins.net/creaturefeatures.htm

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I don't recall the Philadelphia area having a late night horror show on local TV, let alone a late night horror show host.

What we did manage to get was themed Saturday afternoons with a bank of 2-4 movies. Most of the time, it alternated between a Saturday of horror one week and a Saturday of bad kung-fu the next, with the occasional Saturday of holiday or kids movies mixed in. Strangely, I miss the bad kung fu flicks more than the bad horror flicks. :D

·
Scaring kids everywhere!
3,702 Posts
Whoa, what a walk down memory lane. Growing up in Iowa in the 60's and 70's we had The Acri Creature Feature. It was very campy. I also feel I would be a bit remiss if I didn't mention Wolf man Jack. I know he wasn't technically a horror host (he was an awesome DJ) he did often make cameos on the various horror programs.

OK... you probably figured out that I'm old. ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
There was a guy who did a really campy vampire/Dracula thing who gave cheezy descriptions of the movie he was about to show but I can't remember what he called himself. He was pretty funny most of the time, it might have been a US station out of Buffalo, we used to get more US stations than Canadian in those days with our antenna. Toronto was the closest Canadian city and it only had a few major stations then.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,099 Posts
What we did manage to get was themed Saturday afternoons with a bank of 2-4 movies. Most of the time, it alternated between a Saturday of horror one week and a Saturday of bad kung-fu the next, with the occasional Saturday of holiday or kids movies mixed in.
Yep, some markets eschewed the Friday night 'Creature Feature' and ran a Saturday afternoon version that alternated with Kung-Fu theater. If I recall correctly, USA network expanded that concept by broadcasting Kung-Fu theater nationally in the early 80's

I doubt it is totally comprehensive, but a pretty good rundown on the Creature Feature markets, as well as the movies aired (including the sci-fi and kaiju movies), is
posted on Wikipedia if anyone is interested to see what their respective childhood TV broadcast market carried.

Personally, I was in the Quad Cities a couple of years too late for the Acri Creature Feature, but did spend a lot of time with Elvira. :cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I grew up in Las Vegas in the 60's/70's, so naturally we had the 'Vegas Vampire' Jim Parker, who would have showgirls and local celebrities drop in like Frank Sinatra Jr. and a very young Fred Willard to do goofy sketches with him. The sets were cheap and the cheese was thick. It was a great show!

Vegas Vampire 3.jpg

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't think we still had any local ones by the time I was growing up in the late 80s. But I do remember Elvira, the Crypt Keeper, and especially Joe Bob Briggs. I think Briggs was on TNT, and he usually did more bad sci-fi than horror, but I think I watched him more than the others.
This was us. I don't remember having any local horror hosts. If we did, my parents never let me stay up that late. I do remember watching the Crypt Keeper with my dad, though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey didnt Danny Koker from Counts Kustoms in vegas do some type of vampire show back in the 90s???? Could have sworn i heard that about him. Hes the guy from the history channel show Counting Cars.

·
Harbinger of Autumn
1,820 Posts
In Cleveland, first it was Ghoulardi, then Big Chuck and Little John and then Hoolihan and Big Chuck. Did skits in between showing the movie

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,401 Posts
Chicago representing with Svengoolie on ch 26 hahaha hes still on tv. Hahahah
View attachment 170831

Yep! Getting ready to watch him tonite on MeTV!! I love him & I think he's getting a new coffin tonite if not soon. He's not the original Svengoolie but the second or third I think.

I will repeat here what I've said in other Horror Host threads:

My horror host, I give you Count Gore DeVol:

http://www.countgore.com/

He's the man that introduced me to all things horror. Every Saturday nite, 11PM. He was also our Bozo the Clown & the kids afternoon cartoon show host, Captain 20. While he loved those characters too, his first love was Count Gore so thanks to the internet, he's still living dead & well & sleeping in his coffin in Dick Dyszel's basement.

I remember the first time I met him at a con a few years ago I almost cried. I was happier about meeting Count Gore than I was about meeting Christopher Lee.

He's a member of the Horror Host Hall of Fame.

This is the other Horror Hosts thread in the Horror Discussion section:
http://www.halloweenforum.com/horror-discussion/126687-horror-hosts.html

·
Registered
260 Posts
I grew up in the Bay Area and our horror host was Bob Wilkins. The show was called Ceature Features and it was on every Saturday night. Bob was great! He was this mild mannered guy who wore black eyeglasses and smoked a cigar.
He always sat in a rocking chair while he introduced the movie selection of he evening. As kids we thought we were so cool getting to stay up late and watch scary movies.
That was my guy too! Bob Wilkens! "Can you feature that ugly creature?" I think that was part of the opening theme if I remember right.

Thanks Jamesthegeek for starting this thread!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts