Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I comb through around here on various threads I see many colors on various yards and props. Made me wonder and think to myself. I typically use just blue, and maybe 2 red led's for my stuff. However, I see some of your tombstones with purples, greens and various cyans.

Part of me says wow, thats alot of many various colors on a haunt, maybe keep it down to 1-3, but then the other part of me says it looks good and maybe I should try venturing outside my blue norms.

I'm open to you sharing your pictures, ideas or thoughts. I've always wondering what it would be like to use purple or greens or cyans.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm always experimenting and trying different things. I generally set up 6 or 7 different scenes in my display. This year it was 3 witches, gates of hell opening up, demonic forrest, spiders, haunted shack and graveyard. my current phase isI using different color lights on each scene as a way to break the scenes up and as a visual cue to see where one starts and one stops.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I dor a variety of color, both spots and swirling motion color. I'm not trying to create a spooky, threatening atmosphere, rather going for visually interesting.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
This year I have a mix of blue and green in the graveyard and orange on the spider webs on the house. I did both blue and green because blue alone was too dark and green alone washed everything out and detailing was lost, but together I still get the eerie glow plus depth and dimension. The orange background makes the cool colors pop.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I try to only use blue, amber, and maybe some orange on the graveyard side. One or two blacklights for specific props.

Thank I use all red and orange on my "hell" side. Orange/yellow and blue are complementary colors, so there's a science why they look good.

I like all the colors, including green, but I like to keep them separate.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use blue and green in the graveyard area with fog. I use orange and purple on the house and other props

·
Registered
22 Posts
Where have you all found is the best place to buy your colored spot/area lights? I have my blacklights from spiderwebman on ebay and love them. Looking for some colored lights to accent some of the other decorations in the yard though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Where have you all found is the best place to buy your colored spot/area lights? I have my blacklights from spiderwebman on ebay and love them. Looking for some colored lights to accent some of the other decorations in the yard though.
I get mine off ebay. The blue led ones are actually kind of a deep purple https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-LED-3W-A...var=490257498428&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Might be tight to get any by 10/31. These are cool also. https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-LED-Min...h=item1a5c8cd115:g:99QAAOSw1Btbg1Ak:rk:8:pf:0 I like all the different color combos

·
Registered
98 Posts
The best I've found is Walmart's LEDs. The brand is "Great Value" and they're pretty cheap. The LED bulbs work very good, as do the LED floods. The LED floods are stronger in color, and might wash out details, so those are better for general lighting. The regular LED bulbs are great for highlighting props.

·
Registered
638 Posts
We've never had a need for color changing LEDs, we know what colors we use and that's what we buy. Last year, Walmart had LED floods for $7 that we got a bunch of but they're not there this year, at least in my area. I had to pick up a couple of them at Lowes at $11 each but they work just fine. Otherwise, it's fill lights with Fire & Ice and spots that we pick up here and there.

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
2,055 Posts
I have a red fire & ice on the new shack. 2 blue fire & ice up in the trees pointing down. 2 blue & green fire & ice closer to the ground below the blues.
then a couple green LED spotlights. I need to figure out something smaller for detail, smaller spots or something.

Oh, and I also have this obnoxious disco multi-colored swirly bulb aimed up into the trees since they don't lose their leaves until Thanksgiving - if I"m lucky! It's the best place for it since my daughter says it made the cemetery look like a rave.... 8D

·
Registered
833 Posts
I invested in color changing LED lights last year. I couldn't be happier!! Not only does it save on electricity its gives endless options for color!!! I replaced the old stake lights with flood bulbs. They were not true to color and got hotter than H*ll!! I also have color changing led tape lights on the UFOs and red beacon lights on the biohazard barels.

Attachments

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
We go for a "Creepy" look, something not quite normal. Plus we have a green laser vortex, so green is our go-to color. We also use a lot of UV as various props have neon highliģhts and phosphorescent details like eyes and teeth.
I really like displays that have a variety of color.but I don't think it would work at our place.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The main colors we use include orange, green, blue, red, purple and an occasional white (typically for spotlights). We also used amber in a couple of places for highlighting. Where we put these colors really depends on the mood or emotion we're trying to convey.

Our default color is orange, as it's bright enough to use as "general" lighting around the house, but still be a HW color.

We use green to convey creepiness, like for the backlighting of the upper windows, as a general color wash in the lab, in the graveyard, and in the witch's cauldron.

We use a lot of purple, because we think purple and orange are a great Halloween color combination, and it provides a different kind of highlighting than the other colors. We use purple primarily on the exterior of the house, in the skeleton dining room, and as an accent color. For example, the pinkish-purple color we use in the dining room complements the decor in the room very nicely, and the white images in the black & white photos on the wall will stand out more than if we use other colors.

frontyard1.jpg

Red is used when we want to convey a scare factor into the scene. For example, the colors we used in our bathroom is red and purple. Red being the primary color to convey "ickiness" and the purple coming up from the tub complemented it really well, without washing out the red. We also used an amber spotlight on the skeleton in the bathroom to give it some definition (tho I used some paper over the light with holes to tone down the brightness and give it a break up pattern, so it wasn't so noticeable.

bathroom.jpg

In the dining room, we used white spotlights to highlight a couple of skeleton dancers and the dining table itself (the background color was that purple from above). I also used an amber spotlight on the dancers, as it brought out more texture than plain white.
dining2.jpg

We also used red in the witches scene as spotlights on the flying witch and the floating headless skeleton for a particular eeriness. The split trees are in purple, because it matched the "purple forest" scene setter we used. For uplighting on the cabinets to fill in color everywhere in the room, we used orange.
witch1.jpg

Blue is typically used for accent lighting and where we want to have a cold feeling, such as the graveyard and the hallway leading to the bathroom.

The graveyard is supposed to be a creepy, eery place, so it's main lighting is in green and blue. I used red, orange, and green accent lighting to call attention to certain props. We have the courtyard lit completely in green, which looks great with the fog, and then lit the pumpkin sentinels' heads in red or orange to stand out.
frontyard4.jpg

I know this would all make better sense if I had some photos that when along with this, but I haven't taken pictures of this stuff yet, so I'll try to remember to edit this post and add them later.

Edited 10-25-2018 to add pictures.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have always used a red spotlight on my front yard display; it makes things visible while giving the scene a haunted look. This year I have spotlighted my cemetery scarecrow with a black light as well, and I have one of those rotating ghost spotlights shining on the house. So not too much color but some; works for me. IMG_7011.jpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
We go with mostly green. It gives the yard a creepy glow. We were really looking forward to the new house and no more streetlight in front, but the city and Edison decided to plop one right in between us and our new neighbors. Oh well. Maybe a drone will drop a tarp over it next year? Not that we would condone such a thing...

Oh, and every year, we outline the eaves in "blacklight" bulbs. They're old incandescent C-9 Christmas-type bulbs in a dark purple like the screw-in party bulbs.

·
Registered
273 Posts
So here is what I posted on my staff page to help explain things to my people. Hope it helps;

Today we talk about colors. Yup, color schemes in the haunt and what they mean. I know some of you wonder "Why the hell are we using that color light in that spot?" Well, I've done quite a bit of research into colors and what kind of response they invoke, so here goes;

1. Blue- Cool/cold, not immediately threatening yet eerie. Best for ghosts.

2. Green- Similar to blue,slightly warmer feeling, invokes a feeling of "living" things.

3. Purple- Mystical. Possibly threatening, but most likely just interesting and unexplained.

4. Red- Imminent threat. Raises heart rate and respiration. Can trigger subconscious panic reflex. Should be used sparingly as it can overstimulate the viewer and cause the brain to temporarily shut that response down.

5. Yellow- warm, no immediate threat. By removing white light, still affects the brain as a "something's not normal" response. Best for static scenes.

6. Amber/orange- Precursor to red (see traffic lights). Due to cultural conditioning, most people see this as a warning signal. Heightens awareness.

So, I hope this explains why we have a lot of blue in the front with a mixture of red and orange in the back. We're actually using the color schemes to effect the emotional responses needed to help make the haunt work! Pretty cool, huh?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It sux cuz I have about 8 flood/spot lights I use, but the company went out of business. I Need more lighting, but these new lights dont have the same color tone blue that my old lights are. This throws off my haunts "look" so now I have to invest $200 in new lighting. Uggg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts