Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Honestly, I don't care either way about it. It only means more mess in the kitchen for me. The traditional meal is nice, and we do it because my husband has fond memories of it. It's pretty cute watching a 300lb biker get excited about what kind of stuffing he wants for his turkey and all the trimmings he wants with it. I only remember being dragged to my grandparent's house and then stuck in the parlor with my cousins whom I didn't really know very well. It was boring.

·
Registered
600 Posts
We almost always do something or go someplace for Thanksgiving. I'm excited because my oldest will be coming home from college, we haven't seen her much since she started this year. Last year we made and ate only pies on actual Thanksgiving .. Then we went to the coast on the boat, had fresh seafood and my kids ran to town in the dighny to get pies. Lol This year we are going to the mountains camping, are going to pit cook a turkey and pull out the Dutch ovens for the sides, rolls and pies.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
We're Canadian so your Thanksgiving is always optional but we've been making a big turkey dinner for the last 6 or 7 years and curling up in front of the TV after. I've always had a weird thing for the Macy's Parade too since I was really little - probably since I saw Miracle on 34th Street. It used to be the balloons, but now I'm all about the weird balloon facts they come up with.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I love it too! It's wonderful to have the immediate family together with older DD coming "back home" (and younger DD still here). I enjoy cooking, and I love the traditional Thanksgiving meal (though I like to throw some twists into the sides). A bit of work goes into the food prep, but it's low pressure, and the girls pitch in.
Thanksgiving day is very often sunny but crisp, and we usually take a walk and enjoy the fall weather after we eat. The fall fieldwork is done, and that adds to the feeling of relaxed satisfaction. I'm not deeply invested in the NFL, but I enjoy on-and-off watching a game now and then, particularly when the whole family is casually observing. (The Packers should be playing, right? As a Minnesotan, I'm supposed to want them to lose, but I was born in WI...and the Vikings aren't playing.)
Yeah, Thanksgiving is nice, and I have much for which to be thankful.
Edit in: Oh yeah, I forgot about the parade! Love that too!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I am Canadian but I have a small turkey breast in the freezer so I may put together a dinner for a couple of friends and myself just for the heck of it. I am thankful everyday so even if we just celebrated our Thanksgiving in October I can celebrate it again if I want too. Everybody here loves to have a dinner for any reason and my son is going to be at camp working so I may cook up the turkey breast for just a small gathering of friends. I love the Fall so that is enough of a reason to celebrate. :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hated Thanksgiving as a kid. Because I was a girl I was supposed to help in the kitchen even though I hated cooking. The men and boys weren't expected to help at all. I hold the distinction of being the only female to ever be kicked out of the kitchen by my grandma. I tried to be helpful, but I have a natural tendency to organize things and according to the women in my family the chaos is part of the fun.

I love it now. We don't live near family, so no pressure to go to someone else's house because they live nearby. We have a child with autism, so people are fairly understanding of us not traveling on major holidays. We make dinner, watch the Macy's parade, and enjoy some football.

My husband does the prep work and I do most of the cooking. I make a schedule with all of the details of what is being prepared. The schedule includes temperatures, prep time, and cooking time. We all pitch in. No one spends hours in the kitchen so everyone gets time to relax. My mom insists it only works out like that because it's just us and the kids. However, the years that we've had company come over have been just as easy and well organized.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts