Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
I hit Michaels yesterday and stocked up on stuff for goody bags at 80% off. I got Skulls and dish towels at Target. And I got more skulls and a full size pose and stays at Walgreens for 50% off!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Picked up some zombie gnomes an lawn jockeys, some webs and freaky cloth, some birds and cats, and some strobes and candelabras at Spirit. Didn't see anything worth buying at Halloween City.

·
Celtic Spirit
2,100 Posts
I stopped in Spirit yesterday and was surprised to find the store still fully stocked. Some of the full size animatronics were gone but they still had quite a few clowns, jumping props and a couple of fortune tellers. All of the zombie animals were still there (picked up the parrot), a lot of zombie babies, deady teddys and even some clanging monkeys. Fog and light display - all there. I was shocked at the amount of stuff left. I talked to a manager and he said having a 2nd Spirit open up this year really hurt them. One opened in the next town, 10 miles up the road on the same highway. He also said they would be open 3 days for clearance and costumes will be 50% off on the last day. Never have they been opened for 3 days; by Nov 2nd they're usually gone.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
We did this once, spent $25 for about $80 worth of "Stuff", put it away in a box in a closet and forgot about it. It is still forgotten about. Maybe a treasure awaiting the new millenium? We really don't have much use for most things found on store shelf here.(Unless it's a hardware store)

·
Registered
289 Posts
My local stores were awful this year and down in numbers. Mostly costumes and very little props and the props they did have didn't interest me. I have no use for clowns. Online stores didn't seem much better this year. I bought a few things, but not much. With that being said, the things that I was interested in if the price dropped were all sold out before the sales started. I will give my usual online shops a quick look to see if there is anything I'm interested in at the right price. I have some thoughts and ideas for 2014. Of course everything is subject to change. I did score a static female zombie last year online. The picture of the prop online is pretty poor. It looks pretty good in person. It was a very effective prop this year and really freaked people out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Picked up some animatronics from spirit. They had50% off sale.

Also did Walmart %80 off sale.

Picked up jumping snake and the jail cell bars with hands from spirit. Can't remember what it's called.

Going back today......

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I used 3 AtmosFEARfx DVDs in my walkthrough (one projector, one LCD, one standard tv) and very much liked the effect. Definitely was worth the investment.

Now I just need to find more cheap projectors. BTW, my 150 lumen projector was plenty bright outdoors. Unless you are competing with floods or patio lamps, there is no need to spend the $$$ for a brighter one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Many Spirit stores are doing a 3 day staggered sale, likely making people like me say "[email protected]#! Spirit... I have no time for such silly games". And their fog and lights are in stock because the offer no discount on them. I got suckered one year on that deal...thinking everything was 50% off until I went home and checked my receipt. Refer back to my "[email protected]#! Spirit" comment. I visit it to see if anything is new, but have been burned before, so no mas.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
The signs at my two Spirit's right now say 50% off Decor and 25% off costumes. I heard here on HF that tomorrow the costumes are suppose to be 50% off. The two locations I've been to so far are only open thru Sunday. No Monday or Tuesday which I guess some will be open. Their website says to check with the stores.

I was lucky enough to find Wacky Mole clown and the Trashing Clown with TNT box on Friday at 50% off so am pretty happy with Spirit. Picked up 4 AC adapters today and *5 of these bugs that run on a replaceable battery that you can program the direction of their movement. Went for the big cockroaches. Sales clerk said they are great and move fast. Saw them when Spirit opened in San Jose and thought by now they would be sold out. One of my stores never got them in. Just like the AtmosFear DVDs. I could order them still online but don't want to pay the shipping and hoped to pick them up in store.

*opened the packaging of one up and basically these are same idea I had back in 2009 for using HexBug's nano bug with a cockroach body on top for an animated bug prop. Same mechanism inside, they did improve upon it with positionable legs that will alter the direction the bug travels, and the bug's top view has some pretty nice detail. For my animated cockroach, I hollowed out a rubber cockroach and attached it to a nano bug body. Too funny. They also offer a few versions of the bug. I think they managed to get the retail cost to a reasonable price, $6.99. (A Hexbug nano was originally $9.99 in Target and sometimes you'd find them closer to $5 on sale. ToysRUs has them for about $5 now). Plus I had to buy the cockroaches and trim the underside of them with a Dremel and attach them so some tools and supplies were required. These Spirit guys will look great with mine and I actually like that there will be two different looks. Like maybe queen cockroach and her workers...?

·
Registered
221 Posts
The ONE thing that I wanted to find on sale was the life size animated Wicked Witch of the West. She was being sold for 120.00 at walmart which means that she would have been 60 bucks! I went to several Walmarts but could not find her! I want her sooooo much but I can't pay full price for her.

·
Registered
459 Posts
A walmart an hour away from me had four of these Wicked Witches. I got one. Had to sit and debate about it for the hour we were in there, but decided what the heck, it's only money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also hit up both of the local Spirit stores here in Hawaii. I was really hoping to get the "pestilence reaper" or "bag of jokes" clown. Sadly both we're sold out. I'm going back tomorrow to get my kids costumes 50% off for next year. I did however score some stuff from another Halloween store here. We picked up $118 worth of item regular price that was supposed to be half off. I paid $30.37 total. I'm guessing that's 75% off plus tax? Oh well, I was more than happy with that deal. I can't wait for next Halloween!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also hit up both of the local Spirit stores here in Hawaii. I was really hoping to get the "pestilence reaper" or "bag of jokes" clown. Sadly both we're sold out. I'm going back tomorrow to get my kids costumes 50% off for next year. I did however score some stuff from another Halloween store here. We picked up $118 worth of item regular price that was supposed to be half off. I paid $30.37 total. I'm guessing that's 75% off plus tax? Oh well, I was more than happy with that deal. I can't wait for next Halloween!
Howzit the1one1, spirit had some good stuff glad they came down here. We're they here last year too? Just started getting into all the halloween stuff and am happy I didn't have to pay for shipping. Although they jack the prices up a bit. You go all out at your house for halloween?

·
Registered
9 Posts
We do the "haunted garage" thing and decorate the front yard. We've been adding every year. We're more of the DIY'ers than buying props but when the props are half off who can resist that!?! I'll post some pics of out set up in a couple of days. I built a pretty crazy stalkabout this year. It was a hit in our neighborhood. If you haven't already you gotta go check out the store on Ward. Everything's half off but they close tomorrow. They got sooooo much stuff. More deco stuff not animatronics. Add me as a friend. Aloha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cool! I checked out the ward one and they got choke stuff but so hard to look at stuff because its so cluttered. Also noticed a lot of their things are broken. Seems like they've been going to the 50% off sales of years past then opened up a store! Some of the packagings were yellowed. Haha. Have you done the projectors with one of those atmosfear fx videos? Really wanna look into getting that setup at my house.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah you really gotta sort through but you can find some good stuff at reasonable prices if you dig. What part of the island are you from? I haven't tried the DVDs you were talking about but they look pretty cool.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts