Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you enlist for help? Significant others? Friends? Kids? Neighbors? Or are you like me and sometimes go at it alone?

I will have to get more help next year because my back is still aching from 2 days of putting up haunted décor.

Hubby will help but he is not nearly as enthusiastic as I am about Halloween. If I ask for help moving the coffin, he will jump right up and do it- no problem. **But that man is never going to come to me and ask "so when is decorating day?" :rolleyes:

This year I had my girlfriend over to assist. We started early Saturday morning but the weather was rainy and misty here in PA so it was slow going. Once all the headstones were up it started to rain so we ran around covering them with trash bags. We quit at 7:00 p.m. and ate pizza while drinking pumpkin beer and watched Hocus Pocus.

I finished yesterday afternoon and was quite pleased, but hurting all over. We don't have kids but weekends like this past one, I wish I had a couple of strong teenagers.

Maybe next year I'll hire some neighborhood teens to boss around while I sit in a lawn chair drinking pumpkin spice lattes. "No, I need the zombie more to the left of the crypt. Perfect, thanks!".

**Foot note: Hubby spent the weekend running errands and fixing stuff around the house so he was doing things other than helping me. I prefer to point out I wouldn't marry someone who drank beer and watched football while I was on a ladder in the rain. Not trying to paint the guy in a bad light here and will give credit where it is due. :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
My poor boyfriend gets enlisted every year. And I'm planning to rope his best friend into helping next time he's over. I do as much as I can on my own but sometimes I'm just not tall enough to hook that spiderweb where it needs to be or strong enough to set up the ladder. I credit him when someone asks but he doesn't credit himself and says it's all me! He's a sweetie. Probably why I'm gonna marry him :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
My sweet (not during holidays) hubby is the only one who has been helping me so far. We've only been married 6 years this month and I know that he wishes he could go back in time during Sept thru Dec every year! LOL

I think I'll start roping some of the kids from church into helping next year somehow! I think as long as they can come to the party that would be enough. But for now it's just me and the hubby...as I mentioned in another thread, are already starting to talk about Divorce! Lol. When he gets over Halloween he'll get to start again a couple of weeks later!!!!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
For the last 33 years my significant other has helped me set up and take everything down. She enjoys it and seems to have an eye for knowing where to put things in their place to get a reaction from friends when they show up.She is my best friend.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't do Haunt level decorating but I do have many, many heavy totes and boxes filled with decorations, lights etc and then I have a ton of animated figures that each have their own boxes so it's alot of bringing down out of the rafters and shed and then carrying them about 15 yards to the porch. It does get to be backbreaking lol but I do it because I love it and it has to be done. I also help my Godmother decorate her house so I'm usually doing double duty.

·
Crypto Hunter
1,283 Posts
I'm very lucky to have a wonderful hubby who enjoys Halloween too. he's also one of those guys who can fix just about everything and he built the columns for our cemetery years ago simply because he knew I wanted them.
If I have trouble trying to figure out how to set something up he always figures out a solution.

Yes, I am very, very fortunate and I know it :)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,786 Posts
Let's see there's 6 of us...me...myself...& I....then the Furry Ruiner Bros. named Augie Gato & Ziggy Gato, then my husband.

Yep, just me, the husband & the "Helpy Cats" who really aren't all that helpful. I do all the inside stuff myself outside of lugging up certain things that are too heavy. I'm particular about what goes where so that's my deal.

Outside stuff we both do the hauling & moving, I just tell him where it goes.

Then the Furry Ruiner Bros. ruin some of the inside stuff by Godzilla-ing it (stomping through it, rubbing against it trying to eat it,etc.) & boy are they better at their job than we are!!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Pretty much just me & DH do the hauling out of all the bins, fencing & props. We're the only ones who really do much of the decorating & setup as well, although our two little kiddos have started to add in their two cents about where things should go. I'm both excited & afraid for the future when they start to really assert themselves! LOL!

I would say DH & I do 98% of the outside decorating together, I do almost 100% of the inside decorating myself, and we have a little help from family or friends with take down on some Halloween nights if people are still around. We also get a little help with food & dishes for our Open House Party on Halloween night - a good number of people who come will bring something to share.

I will say that I care more about the overall look & feel of the decorations, so DH sometimes has to put up with me saying I don't prefer where he's put something & could he please move it (where I want!). DH may grumble about it, but he knows that when he lets me have my way with Halloween, I let him rule the entire outdoor Christmas display even if I don't think it looks "right" then either! LOL!

·
Registered
724 Posts
I usually enlist my 2 teenagers. My son loves it...my daughter not so much lol. Im beginning to think she was switched at birth:) She does not like anything to do with Halloween. We will do most of the outside decorating this weekend. Weather permitting of course.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My husband & I host a large Halloween bonfire party for the past 12 years and our chores are split. I do ALL THE DECORATING, and he hangs large tarps, cleans & fills the coolers, drags out all the folding tables & chairs. Of course when I drag a pallet up to him and ask him to make me a shelf,,,,, he does!

·
Registered
341 Posts
My 2 teenage daughters are my primary helpers along with my wife when it gets to be a few days before. Occasionally we have some of my daughters friends help when they are over too. The majority is still me - which is fine actually.

I usually have the vision for our haunt and yard and they help fill it. I like when my daughters put their own twist on things but of course I wouldn't do some things the same. I find I enjoy it more when I let them go at it with just some guidance from me for what I'm trying to achieve. I have to admit this year should be easier as fewer things to build but difficult for time. (Job=YAY money, BOO no time!)

·
Registered
57 Posts
For the most part its just me. I have been getting a lot of crap from the wife this year. She doesn't care for Halloween at all and its such a shame cause my three kids love it. I'm kind of anal when it comes to setting up, but I have learned to let the kids participate in the setup. I want them to enjoy every part of the season not just the party. On a side note, I grew up with a mother who loved Halloween. Scary movies, costumes and parties every year and she was very active as were me and my brothers in the Catholic church. My wife grew up Pentecostal with parents who did not like Halloween. Last year was our first party and everyone had such a good time including her. But this year has been different. Even before we found out we had bed bugs she was sour with me on having the party. I tried to explain to her that I was doing this for the kids, which is partially true but still no dice. It has really dampered my spirits this season. I have been working really hard on getting rid of the bed bugs so I don't have to cancel the party which would upset a lot of friends and family. I am battling two different situations but I promised the kids the show will go on. Sorry for the rambling but sometimes I think you guys are the only ones that get it. She honestly thinks I have a problem. I think its more of a passion.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The wife and I met 7 years ago and on our very first date she asked me the question......"Do you like Halloween?" I told her I did and as a kid I loved to set up things for Halloween but hadn't done anything since I was a teenager. The son and I saw her display about two months later and i loved it. Since then and with her creative mind and my engineering skills it has grown significantly over the past 6 years.

We schedule the entire Labor day weekend to set it all up. With my sons help (which will probably be his last year for a while helping set up because he is a senior in HS now and going into the military next year) and the wife help with dressing characters we get it done. Then the wife goes out and looks and begins to tweek during the day and then again at night. But all in all it is a complete family afair.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I usually go it alone. which is not bad, one day at a time. its the tearing down and putting away that sucks. If it is not done in a way that works for me. things will be hard to find when I want to work on them. I try to do my repairs before they go away, and they are boxed up in groupings. "dishes" "small inside props" " witches" outdoor reapers etc. so it is usually all be.
Besides my spouse thinks I am absolutely crazy and it is a lot of work for nothing.
FUNNY thing is his passion is a drag car in the garage which he can work on for weeks, put thousands of dollars into to go for 6.8 seconds down a track..when I point THAT out he usually lightens up a bit LOL
WE have a Halloween party every year.. it is my BIG RACE all his track friends come and they love it!! The mess is mine

·
Registered
443 Posts
acutermints---I sympathize with you as it is the same situation with me. No help setting up unless I aggressively ask for help with dragging the fence out & getting a bunch of stuff out of the attic. I also pull most of the stuff up Halloween night (it took a couple weeks to set up, too) because of possible theft/vandalism & he absolutely HATES this part of it. The house will be a disaster until I can get stuff put away. Good luck with your set up this year.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I do almost all of it. I definietley make all of it myself. And then I drag it all out and set up 90% of it myself.
My husband does the skeletons, spider, and webs on the rooftop, but that is it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
No one :( well.... my 3 yr old carried a foam tombstone to the front yard for me this year, lol...but i like to make my decor & decide where it goes anyway, so it's all good :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts