Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a number of people come by to see my display and when I hear the following:

"You should do "X" with your display"

OR

"Have you seen John's display on Miller street?"

I stab them with my eyeballs.

First of all, I GOT HALLOWEEN COVERED, but thanks for your suggestions while you go and place a SINGLE pumpkin on your stoop

and

Second of all, NO I HAVEN'T! Look around, does it look like I have time to be driving to see other people's displays?

Now I feel better.

Thanks.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I had a 7 yr old telling me what I needed for about 20 minutes last week. I listened intently...

as for the check out other houses...I would say, "I plan on it if I get time"

In both cases, the folks are checking out houses...that is a very good thing.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,761 Posts
I take the "have you seen" comment as a conversation piece not an insult.... they see your display and instantly know you love halloween and frankly I'd love to know where the other great displays are. I make time to see them at the end of the night....I have two I visit every year and a third I am adding this year.
Enjoy a childs enthusiasm and ideas...it shows they are into it more than just for the candy......you never know they might just come up with a great idea.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't really take them as an insult and I'd LOVE to spend time looking at other displays but once mine is up, it's needs to be managed. And if I'm going to chose between throwing more skulls in my yard and looking at someone else's....well...

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Since I'm just setting up today, I'm waiting to hear that I've "copied" the cemetery idea from two houses that flank our neighborhood. We basically live between these houses, although there are several houses between us going both ways.

They've had their cemeteries up for weeks, but I just couldn't chance it with thieves and weather (and time). I know it's not original, and if they think I've copied their idea, there's nothing that I can do about that. That's the bad part about being new in the neighborhood, I don't have a history here yet.

As much as I complained about people not decorating, it was kind of nice being the only cemetery on the street at the old place!

Now if the wind will just leave the tombstones alone, I'll be happier.

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
Everybody has an opinion. Opinions are like....never mind I'll be polite.

My niece's 8 year old son is really into Halloween so I'm his idol. When he comes over to see my haunt he starts to tell me how I should have done things and he starts arranging props to his liking. I keep telling him he's going to become part of the display if he touches anything else.

There are haunts around town that I like to go and see because I feel they're better than mine. I like to look and get ideas just like coming to the forum.

There are other haunts that friends tell me to go and see and sometimes they're good and sometimes they're not. You learn to take it all in stride.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,076 Posts
Now listen scatter....I would prob listen to the 7 yr old more than the adults. Besides, its really for the kids right?
Now wait a minute who am I kidding? We are all in a big contest here in the forum just in more polite and civil terms......:rolleyes:

I had a 7 yr old telling me what I needed for about 20 minutes last week. I listened intently...

as for the check out other houses...I would say, "I plan on it if I get time"

In both cases, the folks are checking out houses...that is a very good thing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
LOL! Too funny. I get it all the time. Ether that or they say you should do this professionally. I just look at them and say I live in BFE, who's going to pay for this year around?

My favorite was the other day while I was making a horse for the hearse, the neighbors 8yo boy came over to tell me the horse needed a p _ n _ s. I just laughed and told him it was a girl. He looked at me funny and walked away.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What bugs me is when people walk through my haunt and the entire time is spent by them saying, "you should have done this". Why not spend time telling me what you liked instead of all negatives. I appreciate suggestions, but when that's all people talk about, it really annoys me. :mad:

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
I think we can ALL do without the "You should...." comments. I don't find that type of"suggestion" at all helpful. Or welcome.
But mentioning somebody else's set-up, that sounds innocent enough. I LOVE seeing other peoples stuff. Sometimes you can pick up an idea. But if they're talking as though somebody else's set-up makes yours look like a dog's breakfast, well, we don't need to hear that...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Don't take it personally, people will always take the opportunity to 'arm chair quarterback' other peoples work. If they were so smart they should do it themselves, I bet they don't. I have been making jewelry as a hobby and I have a co -worker who comes in to tell me the latest trends and colors....in her mind...and oh yeah I should make that. So I just smile and say 'really, I will take that under consideration.'

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What bugs me is when people walk through my haunt and the entire time is spent by them saying, "you should have done this". Why not spend time telling me what you liked instead of all negatives. I appreciate suggestions, but when that's all people talk about, it really annoys me. :mad:
BINGO. I would love to respond to them with "Yeah, I can't wait to see that in YOUR yard next year"

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oh, yes, that drives me CRAZY! And you're right, it's always the people whose decorating efforts consist of a pumpkin and some orange garbage bags filled with leaves.

·
Registered
658 Posts
WowI guess I am really lucky no one has ever said a negative thing to me. I always get very positive comments, usually fromthenparnets who thinks the cemetery is cool.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
23 Participants
dane82
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing