Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a pumpkin king figure that rises up out of a pile of vines and leaves like a scarecrow. He'll weigh around 10 lbs in total. I'd like to use a wench to pull him up similar to my poor graphical representation below. My question is what kind of wench motor should I use. Ideally, I'd like it to run on house current rather than a car battery. Any ideas would be awesome!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
A vehicle runs on 12 volts. All you have to do to use that in a house is hook it up to a DC power supply (like a laptop or some printers use).

With that said, are you planning to raise and lower it every time or do you want it to be automated?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Even a light duty electric winch is overkill for this. In addition, a winch is a really slow moving device. You also haven't mentioned how it will be controlled.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Screaming Demons, J-Man: It would be great if the winch had a remote. Not sure how it would work otherwise. If I put it on a timer, that wouldn't make it reverse when it reached the the appropriate spot.

I don't think a wiper motor hooked up to a pulley would be strong enough. Any motors that might be strong enough and capable of reversing?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Screaming Demons, J-Man: It would be great if the winch had a remote. Not sure how it would work otherwise. If I put it on a timer, that wouldn't make it reverse when it reached the the appropriate spot.

I don't think a wiper motor hooked up to a pulley would be strong enough. Any motors that might be strong enough and capable of reversing?

Thanks in advance!
Though I haven't tried it, I think a wiper motor would have plenty of power but it will require additional items to make it work for this application. Here's about the cheapest electric winch with a wireless remote. It is 12VDC though, so you'll need a car battery to run it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Screaming Demons: That's fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing it. Is there somewhere I can look for more details on how it's built? I looked at your Youtube account, but I didn't see any other videos about this specific build.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
It's not my build, just one I remember. He's a member here and I recall a how-to. If you do a search I'm sure it will come up. I'll look later when I have more time.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
You can make a simple winch with 3/8 threaded rod. Attach a motor on each side and wire one the opposite of the other. This will make one turn clockwise and one counter. You would need a 3/8 threaded coupler on each motor.

Wire it to a reversible relay and set the x(counterclockwise) and y(clockwise) time, you can even set a z (idle time between both) time. I did this with a spider cocoon body that went up into the spider's den, then slowly was lowered and it repeated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I need a little information to steer you the right way. You mentioned 10 pounds but how how many inches or feet is the vertical movement and how fast do you want to move the item and how often would you need it to reverse? You can buy 110 volt hoists at Harbor Freight. If its just a few feet and not too fast or slow, I would highly recommend a wiper motor on a long swing arm and a counterbalance. The problem with wenches and hoists is they will be overkill and expensive, but they weren't meant for instant forward and reverse action, and many of them do have a duty cycle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts