Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our theme this year is a haunted hospital - a maze of blood smeared white walls, red lighting, hanging bodies in bags dripping blood, lots of hospital terror and props. I want to bypass the normal creepy halloween sounds in favor of something different. So, my options are:

Hardcore metal music (no lyrics) being blasted so it really gets your heart pumping and sets you on edge before you even enter the haunt

Or

Really scratchy LP of old country music, like Patsy Cline - something slow that just makes you feel out of place.

I think the country music would do it more for me personally, but I'm wondering what would be best for the masses of TOTers.

Stacy

·
Evil Lord of Legumes
890 Posts
Ooh, I like the scratchy music idea. Personally I'd go for scratchy old big band music or something similar. I think it should be old, obscure recordings that people won't recognize. I think that if you are familiar with the music, it won't be so alien. I might find myself humming along with Patsy Cline, rather than feeling out of place.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Old scratchy elevator music played at higher speeds. Like an old lp run on the wrong speed.

Hospitals always have that elevator music going on somewhere. Run that stuff high and you get a lot of bang, bump, and shrill sounds.

Could even mix it depending on rooms. Some rooms really slowed down, others sped up depending on prop set-up for the room.

<shrug>

Heck try everything, whatever seems to work best go with that.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
Revolution #9 would be just as good forwards too... ;)

I think another thing would be a skipping record effect. Where you keep hearing the same bit of music over and over and over.

I love the idea of using Patsy Cline's "Crazy" with a tinny, far away echo effect too. :D

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you could get a wow & flutter effect that would be really sweet too. You could probably do that on a computer with the proper software. Or get a cassette or reel-to-reel and stretch the tape. Not sure how you could do it on a record player...out-of-round pulleys, perhaps? I like the old country idea a la Jeepers Creepers. Really old blues from someone like Junior Kimbrough or Jessie Mae Hempbill might be pretty effective too. Then there's always "Time is on my Side" like they used in Fallen, you could even go back to the earlier (though not original) Irma Thomas version to throw people off just a little. I've never really used music in my haunts yet, but all I've been reading about and thinking about it makes it more and more appealing. SO much to do, so little time.

·
Registered
574 Posts
scratchy country. It would very cool if you could occasionally make it skip, as if the record was actually playing somewhere off in the wards and has been for a long time...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have always been fascinated and royally creeped out by the whole Beatles/Paul is dead thing. And nothing says spooky more than a scratchy old record playing off in the distance. I really like the old 20's and 30's music for that effect.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you can get the music from the "BIOSHOCK" game for xbox360, then you will have all that you need, its set around a Doctor/Scientist and Experiments gone wrong. That games music freaks ME out when I'm playing it at night.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts