Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually don't spend a lot on a single item, so I'm torn here on paying over $100 for either one. I like the more ornate one better, but the other one has Halloween potential because of the shape of the gate, too. I am sure that the more ornate one is better made, though.

This will be my entrance for the ToTs. I really am kicking myself for not buying the super cheap one from LTD many years ago. I definitely want one with a gate, although I realize that those without are much cheaper.

I don't plan on using it year-round, unless I get the more expensive one (and I didn't plan on using it year-round till I saw the prices).

$165 for this one or $135 for the bottom one? (final price on both including coupon/tax/shipping)

HALL arch gate 1.jpg
HALL arch gate 2.jpg

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the first one is made better, therefore it's a better buy, really. It's 7 ft tall and iron, with 7 inch anchor stakes. The second one is just steel tubing, and it's 8 ft tall. Height really doesn't matter to me, I think that 7 ft is plenty.

I guess it's a no-brainer, I am just hesitant, because I was hoping to find one under $100 (cheaply made, of course). Just $30 for better construction is worth it. Like I said before, I hadn't planned on leaving it up year round, but the more I think about it, the more I think I will.

Edited to add: I roughly estimated the price on the top one. It came up to be $163.98 with the coupon code SEPHB for $15.00 off, plus $19.99 shipping, no tax at: http://www.plowhearth.com/burnished-bronze-finished-iron-montebello-garden-arbor-with-gate.htm

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, well, I think I'm just going to be sick now.

I did a very stupid thing, and went ahead and bought it quickly, because it was a good deal and I was afraid that they might sell out.

Then it occurred to me...I never did go out and measure the walkway that it will go over.

Care to guess how many inches too short the width is?

:(

So I am off to cancel my order and mope the rest of the season. The cheaper one is even smaller width-wise.

·
Registered
369 Posts
OK, well, I think I'm just going to be sick now.

I did a very stupid thing, and went ahead and bought it quickly, because it was a good deal and I was afraid that they might sell out.

Then it occurred to me...I never did go out and measure the walkway that it will go over.

Care to guess how many inches too short the walkway width is?

:(

So I am off to cancel my order and mope the rest of the season. The cheaper one is even smaller width-wise.
I'm sorry :(

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Well isn't there a return policy as with any company ? There should be a grace period to return any item with the original receipt.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I can cancel it. I'm just sick that I can't get one. None that I have found under $200 are the correct width.

I only needed 4 more inches, and honestly I am considering just asking if we can pour a new sidewalk and not cancel the order. ;) OK, half considering. The sidewalk is separated, and it shouldn't be, but it's in good condition otherwise, and the steps would be too wide for it if we poured a new one at a different width. Although maybe that last part doesn't exactly matter, being just a couple of inches.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Got a picture of the sidewalk ? If it is only two inches on each side then you can place concrete pavers down as supports for the legs. I would hate the thought of having to pour a new area just for the arch.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
LairMistress I was going to say the first gate as well; and then got to the bottom of your post. Grrr. Not sure I understand completely though....is the walkway too wide to use the arch over or are you saying you have too much extra room on each side of the arch if it were in the ground? Love to see a photo of the walkway that you would contemplate digging up! LOL. From one who had to put a change order in on our courtyard columns' when they were being constructed to accommodate the length of my 3 foot tall Gargoyles for halloween, I TOTALLY understand the thought process. Haha.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
If the arch is too narrow for the walkway, and you were going to keep it up year round, couldn't you have someone use a concrete drill bit and make sets of holes in the concrete to insert the arch. Maybe even cement it in place? Depending on the walkway it could look fine with the walkway extending out two inches on each side. And the concrete support around the bottom of the arch would give it extra strength.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I know how to keep the ornate arch.

Build a couple planter boxes one foot deep and mount the anchor stakes to one wall of each planter box. Once you've got the empty planter boxes and arch positioned, fill the planter boxes with 6 inches of large gravel, the fill with soil and plants.

The planter boxes will overlap the walkway 2 inches on each side, the arch is now 8 feet high so NBA teams can come ToTing, and the whole thing can be moved with fair ease of even put away for the winter months. Plus imagine how awesome the arch will be with pumpkin vines growing out of those planter boxes and stretching along the walkway.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I like the first arch as well and you shouldn't pass up on getting it just because of a slight mismatch in size. If the arch is too narrow to fit over the sidewalk you could always anchor it directly to the concrete. A masonry drill bit and some anchor bolts would secure it in place. You could also just add some extensions to the base that would extend over the edge of the sidewalk so it could be staked down.

Edit: I guess I shouldn't have answered the phone in the middle of composing my post. Sorry for the duplicate suggestions.:eek:

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I figured since I jumped the gun in buying it, I should give it some thought before canceling it, haha.

I remembered that a neighbor down the street has one, and he has a wide sidewalk, too. Since we had to go out, I drove by to see if I was right about the width of the sidewalk, and I was!

I couldn't get a very good pic because there was a car parked directly in front of his house, so I had to pull up behind it to get out of traffic. He does have his anchored directly into the walkway, so we should be able to do the same.

I really like the planter box idea or the pavers, too! I'm definitely keeping them in mind.

My boyfriend probably isn't going to like it because it means extra work for him, haha, but maybe if I tell him that I bought it for myself as a birthday present so he doesn't have to go shopping...maybe he won't mind. ;)

Neighbor's arch:
HALL arch conc.jpg

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is the walkway. You can see where it's separated from the walk that goes around the side of the house. Probably not worth re-doing the whole thing, but we are remodeling a lot of features. I don't know that we would want to take this on too, though. Especially something that would need to be done before this Halloween, unless I just saved the arch for next year.

I also think that I'll buy some really good paint to make the arch black, so it will go with the fake fence that I plan to make in a couple of years.

(OK so that one came out super small compared to the others, but you can kind of see the separation)

121 Before.jpg

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
LM I'm guessing you want to put the arch where the first concrete slab near us meets the second? One thing to think about before doing anything, is that if you permanently put it into the walkway and you are carrying anything wider than the arch.....

If you are looking for a temporary quick way to put it up for halloween, here's what I've done with my arches (have one from Target and two others I think from Party City like these although mine were halloween black). I picked up cement blocks from Home Depot (these are cement building blocks with two hollow sections inside of it) and some pvc tubing that would accommodate the insertion of the size poles on my arches. Bought some quick dry cement in the pail to fill in the open spacing in the cement block (for me this was easier than making cement).

I laid a disposable surface down first, then the block on top (so the cement wouldn't spill out at the bottom and also so the cement didn't adhere to the ground and t could keep the block as a separate item stored in my garage afterwards until next halloween). I also made a cardboard template with holes in it that matched the spacing of the arch poles and taped it to the cement block. I inserted cut down pvc tubing into the cardboard form, making sure the pvc stayed straight up and down. Remember the arch will later get lowered into these pvc tubes. The cement was carefully added to the cement block, positioning of the tubing was rechecked and then the block was left to harden. Depending on the arch, the pvc can be left higher than the block or cut down flush to the surface. Additional height will add more support but makes storing the blocks not as convenient. The type arch really will dictate this as well depending on how long the anchor points are.

Unfortunately my arch blocks are buried in the garage and I don't have any photos to show. I spray painted the blocks black to blend in with my black arches and when I go to put the arches up, I just pull them out of the garage, position and add the arches to them. My halloween arches are super lightweight, probably only paid $20-30 for them on sale over the years. They will be the foundation pieces of my cave entrance. Haven't done a theme with the cave yet but when I do will position my arches along the walkway and wrap it all in landscape fabric and/or black plastic to form the shell.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts