Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah, thoughts of halloween 2014 and all the work and fun to be had. And at just over a month, long range is an irresistible peek, at least for me. Highly unreliable this far out, but it's a daily peek a boo as the boo gets closer. Right now this far out, I have a wonderful day in store! May halloween weather give us all a great treat this year. No tricks weather, just treats thank you. :confused:

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,973 Posts
I predict there will be lots of wind. Wind, wind, gusts, gusts, & more wind. I haven't had a non-windy Halloween in years.

Wait, that's not entirely true. It's usually windy all during set-up, during ToTiing & then around 9-10PM during breakdown the wind finally goes away & it will be completely still. :mad:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have actually been bouncing between yay or nay this year. I have a lot of regular work surrounding the holiday this year, which makes the work of halloween even rougher. Plus there's some ill health with family that may factor into the decision. But I know one thing for absolute certainty- if I decide not to display this year, it will be the...most...perfect weather ever. If I decide to go full bore, it'll be a windy crappy day. We'll see.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Hope things improve for you as Halloween gets closer.

We've already had 8 inches of snow a couple weeks ago! (!) Seems like a shot across the bow from mother nature, but the weather has been beautiful since.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
It was 90 degrees here today...Saturday the temps drop, wind and rain move in and there'll be snow in the mountains. As a haunter, you should expect everyday in October to be like that and build accordingly

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,973 Posts
Really, no matter what Accuweather or the Weather Channel will tell you, any forecast over a week is unreliable. No one can accurately predict weather a month away. They like to pontificate for ratings and clicks, but they're really just guessing that far out.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
Mine changes almost daily, started out at I think 46 for the daytime high and friggin cold as balls for the low at night, went up to I want to say 55ish for the high and around 41 for the low, was going to be clear, then cloudy and now its saying rain likely.... That will suck since I'm going to be at a theme park on Halloween night, but I'll be having so much fun it wont matter and most of the stuff is walk throughs anyways.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Pray for clear skies, plan for rain. I can deal with some wind; it makes the foggers kind of pointless, but the other props are either low to the ground, small and firmly attached to something, or don't have a lot of wind resistance in the first place. Rain chases away what few TOTs I get, not to mention being a little hard on anything cloth and/or electronic.

·
Look behind you
1,316 Posts
Rain is a huge problem for me every year. I live in Oregon, one of the rainiest states in the country. I always have to set up in the rain and deal with it all night. The props I make have to be made waterproof, (I can't use monster mud :( ) and I never get to use any animations unless they are in the garage or under the porch.

It's been years since I've had a sunny Halloween. I'm praying that this year will be better, hopefully it will at least be dry.

·
Registered
214 Posts
You can use monster mud, if you also use marine spar varnish and exterior enamel. Coat the bare monster mud with the varnish first, then paint. I make paper mache props. Just for fun, I left a couple of reject pieces out in the open, just to see how long they'd last. One piece was good for a couple of months before it started mildewing; the other was out for at least six months before I got tired of looking at it and threw it out.

·
Look behind you
1,316 Posts
You can use monster mud, if you also use marine spar varnish and exterior enamel. Coat the bare monster mud with the varnish first, then paint. I make paper mache props. Just for fun, I left a couple of reject pieces out in the open, just to see how long they'd last. One piece was good for a couple of months before it started mildewing; the other was out for at least six months before I got tired of looking at it and threw it out.
Thanks, I'll try that.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,613 Posts
its been raining almost every day here in FL, and the last 2 days its been almost hurricane like weather. Ive not seen flooding this bad so quickly, the rain just comes and comes. My house is still half painted and looks like a hot mess, I dont think it will be done in time for Halloween at this rate :( I hope it doesnt stay like this because my facade is going to be made out of cardboard, eek!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts