Halloween Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think you are right. I'm really tired of buying these props and they only last one season. I am not at all technical and I really hate dealing with this every year.

Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think you are right. I'm really tired of buying these props and they only last one season. I am not at all technical and I really hate dealing with this every year.

Thanks for responding.
I have a few props with those and I'm working to replace them with PIRs driven by knockoff Arduinos this year. It's taken quite a bit of reading to figure it out but so far so good. I hate having a prop that doesn't trigger.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
OK, when you have it down pat may I please send my prop controllers to you for repair? LOL

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
OK, when you have it down pat may I please send my prop controllers to you for repair? LOL
I already have a solution, the Try-Me-Trol. It will trigger any prop with a working Try Me button. It uses a real PIR sensor that even works in total darkness. The controller is touch programmable and has pot for setting a post delay so the prop doesn't re-trigger if the victim is still standing in front of it. Super simple to install, it's DIY. PM me if interested or you can email me.
[email protected]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If only I new just a little bit of what you are saying I might feel comfortable with trying a DIY project. Unfortunately, in this case, my education was not technical but more like Susie Homemaker. LOL I'm always trying to figure out how things work but have no electronics skills at all. I did rewire a lamp once and my son taught me how to change the electrical outlets in my villa but that is the extent of it. I really appreciate this forum and all the people that take the time to respond. You are the best and I thank you.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
If only I new just a little bit of what you are saying I might feel comfortable with trying a DIY project. Unfortunately, in this case, my education was not technical but more like Susie Homemaker. LOL I'm always trying to figure out how things work but have no electronics skills at all. I did rewire a lamp once and my son taught me how to change the electrical outlets in my villa but that is the extent of it. I really appreciate this forum and all the people that take the time to respond. You are the best and I thank you.
Believe me when I say you don't need any electronics experience to hook up the Try-Me-Trol, it really is super simple. Here's the thread on it if you haven't seen it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
OK, I looked at the board and can you please tell me in a nutshell what I would do with it. It looks like I will need to do some soldering. It's pretty impressive for sure.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
OK, I looked at the board and can you please tell me in a nutshell what I would do with it. It looks like I will need to do some soldering. It's pretty impressive for sure.
No soldering is needed. Just connect power and the two Try Me button wires to the board terminal blocks. If you email me I can send you the documentation PDF and you can look it over.
[email protected]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Activating when the switch is turned on is typical in some of those type of props.
I'm not insulted at all. I have no clue about any of this. The try me button does not unplug. It would have to be cut or unsoldered. Here is a picture after I opened the controller and all wires seem to intact. At this point I think the sensor must be bad.
I am a little late to the discussion but I do agree that it appears that the prop is sound activated and if it worked last year, how did you activate it then? Also, in my experience, the Try Me buttons always unplug so the fact that yours does not is quite unusual. Nevertheless, if the sensor does not work, possibly because it got wet, and the Try Me button does work, you can use the wires to the Try Me button to attach another sensor or use one of Spirits remote controlers to attach to the Try Me wires. However, that would mean that the prop would need to be manually activated by remote each time, which may not work for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I just wanted to thank everyone for all your help and suggestions. I did order the Try-Me-Trol and it really works. And, super easy to install. I think J-Man is a genius. The board is so small and compact. Send an email to him if you want further information. I[email protected].

What a great way to save an old prop. Thank you so much J-Man

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Thanks so much for the super kind words, I really appreciate it! So glad the TRY-ME-TROL saved your prop!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts