Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip for mid october.....looking for something halloween related. Was wondering what places people like to visit..some say salem mass....others say savannah ga.....can be a day trip or a weeks trip...just looking for ideas.....I'm in the north east...near boston...I have been to salem many times.....big disappointment

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts
Hmmm, if you are over that way, maybe Sleepy Hollow, New York?? I'd really, really like to visit there, someday. There seems like a ton to do during the couple of weeks before Halloween...but I have heard people say it's much busier at that time, compared to visiting earlier or later, obviously. Here's a link: http://visitsleepyhollow.com/

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
From a Halloween standpoint, I would love to see some of the cemetery's in New Orleans for myself, along with the architecture of the French Quarter. I think I could draw a lot of inspiration from the things to see & do there. And of course I want a beignet! I imagine they're delicious!! :D

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
New Orleans is one of my favorite cities and I've been many times. Tons of history and the haunted legends are awesome. That being said, Halloween in NOLA is just another excuse to have a gigantic drunken naked party and a parade. Mid month might be ok though. Lots of haunted hotels in the quarter and plenty of ghost, voodoo, and vampire tours.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I've never been to New Orleans in October but I'm sure it's great. And yes Beignets are delicious. When I retire I'm going to spend the month of October one year road tripping it from Florida through the south into the northeast, ending in Salem on Halloween. Florida has quite a bit of Halloween going on in October, Universal has Halloween Horror Nights, Busch Gardens has Halloscream and I think the Magic Kingdom does something too. Also St. Augustine has ghost tours, I don't know about decorations though.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I dated a witch who lived in Salem. Not all its cracked up to be and I mean both the witches and the city.

I've been to Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown at Halloween time and they were all hype - more fall harvest that you find in any small town than anything.

On the other hand, I'd love to hit up Dracula's Castle in Romania again. That place is creepy year round. Just avoid it when its cold.

I wish I could visit Demon's Alley here in NJ again. That was especially creepy for how the entire neighborhood seemed to have been abandoned at dinner time. But nobody can visit again, because arsonists burned all but two buildings and the local government tore down what wasn't burned.

I'd love to visit Jackson House again, another Jersey haunt, one where I photographed something creepy standing next to the broken player piano that still randomly played music, and I got chased through the house by a glowing blue orb. But again, arson, so nobody visits it anymore.

And Mary's Tower, which was haunted by something... animalistic. A lot of people who visited there with me always felt watched, like they were being hunted by something that was ready to disembowel them and eat their entrails before their very eyes before they died. Sadly, yet again, arson. And they place was nifty, too, like a little inner city tenement building, all by its lonesome in the middle of some farmer's fields.

The Mutter Museum is a nifty place, but avoid it if you suffer from claustrophobia.

Gettysburg would make a mint if they let ghost hunters from all over the country camp on the battlefields.

What I'd like to do is a New England tour of towns that were inspirational to HP Lovecraft.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I've done Salem, New Orleans and Sleepy Hollow, so I'll mention the next on the list.

It doesn't get much love, but it sure looks like these folks know how to handle Fright Night.

The Halloween Capital of the World- http://anokahalloween.com/

Anoka, Minnesota.

Tons of stuff, cool weather, lots of activities and sights for the holiday.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You should check out Waverly Sanatarium near Louisville Kentucky. Open year round and super creepy in the fall. Check out the website. One of the few places to truly freak me out.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'd like to stay in one of those 'haunted' bed and breakfasts. Some place with a lot of atmosphere and haunt history. And I don't even believe in ghosts!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have done Salem, New Orleans and Sleepy Hollow also. I loved all three...but for Halloween I would go to Sleepy Hollow again in a second. Yes...obviously I am biased because of my love for all things Headless Horseman. However, there is lots to do and see. The atmosphere is wonderful. Plus, right down the road is the Great Jack-o-Lantern blaze. Over 5000 hand-carved pumpkins made into fantastic displays --and located on an old 18th century estate. It is a blast!

http://www.hudsonvalley.org/events/blaze

Reactions: Madame Leota

·
Registered
74 Posts
Terror Behind the Walls is a haunted attraction held at Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia, PA. It is absolutely fantastic. This year there is an interactive section where you could be part of the attraction (the actors "kidnap") you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts