Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know it is over a year away, but halloween 2010 i intend on spending time in america. i have been once before,halloween 2002, but wasnt a big fan at the time. i spent hallowen evening in Sallinas and loved walking around the streets watching the kids having fun. what i want to do next year is to visit somewhere that i can see a few big haunts, buy up big at the shops and on 31st, walk around a couple of streets seeing homes and watching the kids have fun. am so looking forward to it, but, still not sure where would be best to do all this. have only had one suggestion so far and that is Salt Lake City. any one have any help or ideas?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Salt Lake City was the home of Rocky Point haunted house, but Rocky Point is now closed. Where I live north of Denver theres about ten haunts within an hour. Detroit has lots of haunts, the same as Philly and Cleveland. Most cities have loads of haunts all around them. Theres Spookywoods in Greensboro, NC, and Netherworld in Atlanta, and The Thirteenth Gate in Baton Rouge, to name a few of the top haunts. Almost every large city in Texas has a top haunted house. Just use the internet to find haunts in the US. Have a great trip.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think Philadelphia would be a neat place to visit over Halloween. Not only will it have a ton of haunts because it's such a big city, (sorry, I can't recommend any personally,) but there are several spooky places that would be great to visit.
Foremost on my list is the Mutter Museum :: The College of Physicians of Philadelphia - Mutter Museum :: It is a medical museum full of human oddities including conjoined twins and the preserved brains of famous people. A must do.
Another cool place to visit would be Eastern State Penitentiary. ESP :: Eastern State Penitentiary Website
It is an abandoned prison that housed some of America's most infamous prisoners and is said to be highly haunted. Looks super fun.
Here's two others that seem a little bizarre, I think I'll put them on my to-do list also:
The Shrine of St. John Nepomucene Neumann - Located in Philadelphia, PA in Northern Liberties
The Insectarium
Also, Philadelphia is one of our oldest cities and has a lot of history. It's where our constitution was signed.
I hope you have fun wherever you go!

·
Registered
432 Posts
1. Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios — Orlando, Florida, or Los Angeles, California.

2. Halloween in New Orleans — New Orleans, Louisiana

3. Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party — Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World, Orlando, Florida

4. Halloween in Salem — Salem, Massachusetts, site of the notorious Salem Witch Trials of 1692.

5. New York's Village Halloween Parade — Manhattan, New York City, New York

If you want to watch children trick-or-treating, American cities usually announce recommended hours for trick-or-treating. Unfortunately, the hours are almost always during daylight, which takes a lot of the magic out of it.

Nevertheless, it is still a lot of fun to walk through a beautiful residential area on an autumn day, to look at the home Halloween decorations, and see children running from door to door with their costumes and treat bags. So, I'm going to list some large American cities and where you might stroll:

CHICAGO — The suburbs of Oak Park or Evanston. Oak Park has numerous homes designed by the great Frank Lloyd Wright, but Evanston is equally lovely and on Lake Michigan.

NEW ORLEANS — The Garden District, full of 19th century mansions. The more famous French Quarter will be packed with tourists and drunks.

BOSTON — Salem, Mass. is in the Boston area. Another picturesque suburb: Milton, just a subway and trolley ride from downtown Boston.

LOS ANGELES — A correspondent writes, "My neighborhood is terrific. We're on the west side between Olympic & Santa Monica and Sepulveda & Westwood. It's flat with moderate-size houses on small lots, sidewalks, and old-fashioned streetlights. We're in one of the best school districts in the city, so there are lots of people who moved into the neighborhood just to raise a family. This means a fairly high density of little kids. On Halloween there are dozens of groups wandering around, often with the parents in costume too. At least half the houses have someone at home giving out candy, and many of them have jack o'lanterns and other decorations -- some quite elaborate. Be sure to show up before sunset. The littlest kids start circulating while its still light out and the older kids will be mostly done by 8 or 9."

NEW YORK — Handsome old Greenwich, Connecticut is in the New York area via subway and commuter train (about 75 min. from the station in Times Square, about 90 min. return trip).

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
G'Day! I used to live in Aussie. Brisbane, Townsville and a little place in the NT called Nhulunby. Be advised, gidget, that commercial haunts in the Excited States are DEAR. Really pricey. In fact, a lot more than I like to pay. But, hey, I have kids, and I am, after all, the "Hallowe'en Guy". Or Bloke. I need to bite the bullet and ante up.

Don't be put off, though, just a Head's Up.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Wow, asking where to go in the USA for Halloween is like asking where to go in the galaxy for a few rock samplings! There are so many places that are good and have quality haunts. There are literally thousands and thousands of neighborhoods that go "all out", yet few of them advertise. There are celebrations that range from a neighborhood stroll to outlandish freak parades. Heck, I don't even know all the good places in my own town - there are so many.

A large, upscale suburb would be your best bet, Cadaverino has some good recommendations.

·
Registered
432 Posts
LOS ANGELES — Another correspondent writes, "Okay, this is kind of a specific recommendation, but W. 81st street (zip code 90045) between Emerson and Dunbarton goes absolutely crazy for Halloween. A good half of the houses on this street put up full-on haunted house decorations, complete with graveyards, mock funerals, witches on roofs, corpses hanging from trees, etc. I seriously have never seen anything like it, and I used to live in Orange County, where some houses got pretty competitive with their decorating. They close off the street and have a block party every year, and it's full of little kids. (Bonus points: this is the Westchester area, minutes from LAX.)" [Los Angeles International Airport]

·
Registered
120 Posts
It maybe easier for us to recommend where not to go. Houston does not have a great Haunted House scene. All are commercial "JUMP&SHOUTS". Dallas has more inventive haunts.

·
Forbidden Cryptkeeper
2,198 Posts
How could you come to america on Halloween and not visit Salem Mass? It's like where it all began.
I agree. Halloween Night is great, but any day close to Halloween is pretty great there too. Lots to see over a long weekend.

·
Registered
432 Posts
To address your wish to "buy up big at the stores", which I assume you mean Hallowe'en goods, there are several national chain stores that can be found in most medium-size and large cities, that will carry a large variety of Hallowe'en decorations, props, collectibles, and costumes and makeup.

Two national franchises devoted entirely to the holiday:

Spirit Halloween stores. Click on the orange "Find a Store" button at the upper right. Most of the stores will reopen in September.

Halloween USA. The website is not currently active, but watch it for to reopen in August. Stores will sprout nationwide in September like autumn pumpkins.

Specialty stores that carry much Hallowe'en merchandise from summer onward:

Michaels, a nationwide chain of arts & crafts stores. Click on "store locator" in the upper right. One of my favorite places.

Party City, "the discount party super store". The store finder is in the upper left corner of the home page. Goes all out for Hallowe'en.

General department stores that will have sizable Hallowe'en sections from September 1 onward:

WalMart

Kmart

Target

Walgreens. Not a department store, but this pharmacy and variety store carries a commendable amount of Hallowe'en merchandise from late August onward, they can be found everywhere, and many are open 24 hours a day.

·
Registered
898 Posts
If you're still trying to decide where to visit when you come, one thought is Anoka, MN "the Halloween Capital of the World", and while your in MN check out the Excelsior Haunted Trolley and Boo-seum the weekend of the 23rd.
We don't have designated TOTing hours, and there are tons of apple orchards, haunted hayrides, pumpkin patches...all the stuff that makes it Halloween to me! Not to mention the beautiful fall colors on the trees-I'm a bit biased, I guess!

http://www.trolleyride.org/images/ESL_Ghost_Trolley_2007_Post.jpg
Anoka Halloween Home

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok thanks for the help, i am going to show my ignorance here thro,what does apple orchards have to do with halloween? sorry to ask such a silly question, but, here in aussie i dont get much information and thought i knew most about it, but not apple orchards.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dallas Area

We have alot of haunted attractions in the area. (Course in Texas an hour drive is considered not to far, just to warn you)

There is one Reindeer Manor in Red Oak Texas that is considered a real haunted house I think. It has a Website - Haunted House at Reindeer Manor.

In Waxahachie, TX (30 minutes south of Dallas) we have Screams which includes five haunted attractions. They have a website: SCREAMS, the World's Largest Halloween Theme Park (During another part of the year its Scarborough Renaissance Festival)

Six Flags amusement park decorates and has several haunted houses set up. Some of them charge(even though they are in the park) but it is for charity or the boys scouts.

The Boneyard at Six Flags Mall. Only the movie theater and a scant few stores still open so the rest can be used for haunted house.

Cutting Edge Haunted House in Ft. Worth, which is in an old meat packing plant. I have actually been to this one - it was really good.

Dallas Scaregrounds, - I think this one is 3 haunted houses for one price.

The Great Pumpkin Festival at the Arboretum - this isnt scarey - its a fall festival but the Arboretum itself is worth a visit. Website - Dallas Arboretum

Haunted Hayrides at Loyd Park, - considered family-friendly. But hayrides are a popular Halloween activity.

Tayman Graveyard - four different Halloween attractions, including a spooky funeral home, haunted mine shafts and hayrides, and even a "Sinister Swamp - I think this one is considered family friendly as well.

Neighborhoods to visit if you want to see yard haunts, I will have to investigate to be sure. Here in the part of my neighborhood not as many go all out as I would like. When I lived in Irving alot of houses went all out, but I havent driven over there in a while so not sure if they still do.

Someone mentioned Philidelphia - I used to live there. Not sure about Halloween attractions, but it is a great city to visit. Very historical. Plus Phili cheese steak sandwiches are an American classic. There are horse drawn carriages. The Liberty Bell.
In addition - Phili is just 120 miles or so from New York City. About a half hour from Altanic City - if you like to gamble.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Honestly I'd steer you away from areas like texas, florida, california, arizona, etc those aren't going to be as picturesque if you're looking for autumn typical scenery for halloween to go along with your haunted houses etc.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That would be true, Texas pretty much has summer for a big part of the year. Our fall only seems to last a couple days to a couple of weeks. Usually my leaves seem to go from green to straight to brown and dead on the ground. I do miss the turning of the seasons.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts