Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've found it at Dick Blick's and online at Amazon.com of all places. If there is a spirit store in your neighborhood they will have it in smaller quantities.

Otherwise you have to order it online. Just google it. A gallon averages from $30 to $50 and there are different consistancies to choose from, some extremely runny to others that are thick as rubber cement

·
Registered
725 Posts
I sculpted a clay wolf head that I used the mold builder with. I usually would do a coat then let it sit over night. I added about 6 coats. Just hand brushing the stuff on. I think the biggest problem is my lack of skill in making masks. You got to start somewhere though!

I have read other threads on here with people using the stuff to corpse bluckies and so on. Try searching "mold builder" and see what comes up.

·
Registered
725 Posts
And on that note. All the people on here that are the true professionals behind mask making, will probably tell you that mold builder isnt the best solution. But $$ + learning.. cant beat it.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
I use LOTS of latex on my corpse. Halloween Forum - Yubney's Album: Yubney's Junk

I also use a lot of nylon quilt batting to flesh it out. Thin coats dry easily at room temperature within an hour. A heat gun on low setting also helps speed up the process but be careful around styrofoam if your latex is on that. Lingering too long with the heat gun will melt the foam.

One neat trick I discovered while painting and drying the batting was to make something of a web or swiss cheese patteren. Once dry hit the openings with the heat gun just enough to melt the nylon (that also helps in drying if still wet). Then paint it over again going into the openings. With the right pattern you can get a very nice worm eaten, or ripping effect.

Coloring is the same as the next layer of latex. I use cheap artist acrylics from Hobby Lobby. For bloody I use crimson at around a tea spoon blob to around 8 ounces laytex. Then just a drop of emerald green. Once mixed and painted it has a pink color, but after drying it turns a nice bloody red. You can do the same with browns for aging. I may apply 2-3 coats depending.

Finally I use either Gloss Medium to seal it and remove the stickiness of the laytex for bloody, or Matte Medium for aged corpse. The cost seems pricey, but a little goes a LONG ways.

From what I've experimented with so for any acrylic art material can be used with latex.

For cheap gallons you can find them on Ebay. There are two vendors I bought from, one slightly cheaper than the other. However the cheaper one took almost 2 weeks to get around to shipping, and didn't respond to my request for info before it was sent. I was about to file a complaint to customer service just as it shipped, but certainly will say as much in his feedback.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've never had any problems with the Mold Builder from Michaels. I made numerous hands and molds and it always came out good.
The sticky part can be resolved by rubbing baby powder or Talc on the latex.

You might find pretty cheap latex online but it's always the shipping part that is rediculously high. some vendors sell Latex for $35/gallon and add just as much for shipping. So , for $60-70 a gallon online , you might as well get the quarts from your local store. Way cheaper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts