Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Halloween I ran into a new (to me) but common failure with one of my bubble foggers. One of the plastic gears that moves the bubble arm/stem down into the bubble solution and then back up to blow out the fog broke in half. I took the unit apart and found the broken gear, but I have no idea how to find a replacement gear that would work. Here's a a couple pictures of the broken gear. Anyone have any advice on where I might get a matching or exact replacement since Gemmy doesn't sell them?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hmmm, good luck finding that gear, I'd try gorilla glue, clamp it and when it dries, trim off the excess glue.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, good luck finding that gear, I'd try gorilla glue, clamp it and when it dries, trim off the excess glue.
Worth a shot. I thought about gluing it, but wasn't sure if it would hold up since plastic seems to be difficult to bond well. I think I only have liquid nails right now, which is supposed to work on plastic.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I don't think liquid nails would hold that, go get some Gorilla Glue and try that,you will use it for everything,lol it work really good!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Not sure how that gear fits in the whole assembly but if there's room, you might try glueing a washer onto the gear for more strength. Hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like a 1/4" washer would fit right over the center hub of that gear and lay flat against it.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,459 Posts
The washer idea is good, but I think I would glue it then drill some thru holes and put some nuts and bolts in it. Sort of sandwiching the gear between 2 washers.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You can probably fix them using super glue, baking soda and some hobby fiberglass cloth or non metallic window screen. Clean the gear parts so they have no grease on them. Cut the cloth or screen to fit in the flat surface of the side inner circle. Use some higher grit 200+ sand paper to roughen the smooth flat surface. With the gear together, spread enough baking soda over the flat surface to cover it with a thin layer. Lay the cloth or screen over the baking soda. Add drops of super glue as needed to saturate the baking soda. Make sure the cloth is pressed into the baking soda when you do. Repeat for the other side.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
You have to be extremely careful with Super Glue in this case. Super Glue is the consistency of water and tends to very quickly run into areas you didn't intend. If any at all gets in the teeth of that gear, it likely will be ruined for good.

·
Registered
14,259 Posts
Wow that square shaft makes it a tough find. A custom piece?

Wondering if easiest thing to do is find another used or broken bubble fogger and cannibalize from that.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Thinking off the cuff here. Many schools are experimenting with 3D printers. Contact one and see if it can be a project for a student or 3D printing club? Or just advertise for someone with a 3d printer to help out? Gears are ridiculously easy to create in 3d design programs. I use Lightwave 3D modeling and animation software and can knock out gears very quickly...

·
Registered
203 Posts
dump the plastic gears..go to any clock repair store..show the owner the gear you want and replace it with a metal gear..you'll never break that..I do that with exercise machines that have that damn cheap plastic gear in the tension motors..there are like 5 gears in most of them..all plastic of course..and they break..the whole motor cost like $80..I buy those metal gears..and they never break after that..and they are cheap!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bumping this back from the dead. So I appreciate all the suggestions, but unfortunately I've had no luck sourcing this gear with a square hole. I took the suggestion of re-gluing it (used super glue gel), and the bond was excellent. But unfortunately because the tolerances are so tight I couldn't get the gear to fit onto the square shaft again! It just split in half when I tried to thread it through. So it looks like a repair is a no-go. I was able to find plenty of plastic 40tooth gears on ebay, but all of them have round shafts//holes rather than what appears to be the square shaft/hole used in these gemmy bubble foggers. I had another bubble fogger that had a different mechanical issue that I was going to "borrow" the identical replacement gear from, but naturally that identical gear broke in the process of tearing down the machine! So now I have two of these broken plastic gears with no suitable replacements.

I fear, as GOS suggested, that these gears with square holes are custom orders that can't be found. I've searched everywhere online and haven't been able to find any small gears with square holes. One idea I had, which would be extremely difficult, is to glue the gear together while attached to the square shaft. It might hold, but it also might be too weak to bear the force of the other gears or might get stuck on the square shaft. The shaft needs to be able to slide around in the gear in order for the unit to operate properly. So short of visiting a clock dealer or finding someone with a 3D printer, does anyone have any new ideas for finding a replacement gear?

·
Registered
681 Posts
To me it looks like a 40 tooth gear. Here is a link to something that might work.....not sure the size of the bore diameter but if this is smaller than what you have then you can take a small square file and match it.

http://www.hobbyparts.com.au/store/item/g020b40m05015019pop/

Or if you have a hobby store near you ( like a hobby model shop) you can take it there and see if they might be able to find you one.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah. It is a standard 40 tooth gear. It's the square hole that's the problem. I've gone around at my local hobby stores, but none have one with the square hole. I do like the idea of just buying a cheap pack of these on ebay and filing it down as needed. That might be the best and cheapest (!) option.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,459 Posts
G et a gear that is close to the bore and grind a square hole in it with a Dremel using a straight bit they have. The bi is like the ones for a Roto Zip cutting tool

1 - 20 of 52 Posts