Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know other than michaels where to find a lot of grape vine. I want to use it to make a sort of scarecrow, but it would probably cost me about 100$ for all the wood from Michaels....is there anyone other place people have heard of...

and yes I tried googling it :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
What part of the country are you in? Check and see if grapes grow wild anywhere. Or if any gardeners in your area are growing grapes. A couple of years ago my mom took hers out and there was tons of grapevine.

·
Registered
340 Posts
What part of the country are you in? Check and see if grapes grow wild anywhere. Or if any gardeners in your area are growing grapes. A couple of years ago my mom took hers out and there was tons of grapevine.
Yes! Look for them in the wild. Hopefully you'll find some for free.
Here's a quote from an earlier post of mine about finding grapevines. They grow like weeds here in the upper midwest. I think the hardest part for me was finding the first ones and now that I know what to look for I see them everywhere! They tend to attach themselves to other plants.

I see wild grape vines on a daily basis because I spend a lot of time in the woods for work but I see them most at the edges of old growth tree lines especially along the sides of the roads. You can spot them easily enough from the way they grow in the trees and bushes. They tend to creep up existing bushes and trees then cascade their leaves down toward the ground and their leaf shape is very distinct (the shape reminds me of that evil mogwai from the movie Gremlins...lol) and the leaves are usually a different color and shape than the surrounding tree it's growing on. What you rarely see are the grapes. The animals eat them pretty quick I guess .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hobby Lobby has grapevine wreaths from small to large. I picked up a 3' wreath on sale for $8.00, normally $16.00.

-stygma

·
Registered
375 Posts
Kudzo(sp) vine works great, I used to pull it off the trees when I lived in Florida. There's a lot of it in Texas too, just make sure you know the difference between it and the poison vines. The leaves are grape leaf looking and the vine is smooth no thorns. If you were in Houston, I could take you to a dozen places you'd be able to harvest it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts