Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find small (1" or less) discs pre-drilled to use to put a bunch of flicker LEDs on to make a much brighter flame than single tealights. Something like this: (except not jewelery!)

http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/product_view/violetsnewvintage/1811955/recycled_circuit_board_earrings_green_and_silver__round_dangles/handmade/jewelry/earrings/other_metals

I did find this:

http://www.modsthatglow.com/product_info.php?products_id=35

But I'm hoping to find a better price for bulk. I'll email them in the morning to see if they'll do bigger orders, but I want 20-50, and I was hoping for at least half that price, if not lower. Also, smaller would have been better. I also noticed Radio Shack might have something like this, so I'll have to drop in there tomorrow as well, much as I can't stand the local one. I'm surprised I didn't find more than these, but otherwise I just get a lot of feebay and various Chinese import websites for products that already have LEDs on them. Words like "pcb discs" and "round pcb" or "pcb circles" don't really come back with anything relevant. The only "blank ones" I found were for high power LEDs and not just a blank predrilled board.

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I thought of the hole saw thing but then I also thought that the cut is going to be very rough and ugly and may possibly tear the copper off the board surface. I've always preferred spade bits and a drill stabilizer or forstner bits, but those only work for making holes, not discs. Maybe I can find a big "plug cutter", but PCB fiberglass board is murder on cutting edges.

I really need to get my drill press setup.

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great! Last year I used a butane torch to heat up metal tubing to cut discs out of plastic, but this year I wanted something a bit better looking. I may still look into using a hole saw or other type of cutter to make 1/2" ones. They really should put better keywords on that page, other than "board" there's no mention of "circuit board" or "PCB". I've seen that website before, too, they have pretty useful stuff but I didn't have them bookmarked. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts