Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where to buy inexpensive foam board (like Dollar Tree thickness) larger than 30" x 20

Found a few unused white foam board panels, think I'd sourced them from Dollar Tree, that measure 30" x 20". I need something larger than these to attach Scene Setter to for decorating the exterior of my Home Depot HDX 28" x 15" x 52" black shelving based Mausoleum / Crypt.

Some have suggested "foam board" but cited really high prices. I don't need the thickness I think some have suggested. Just the surface area required.

Where else can I find larger, but inexpensive, foam board for my project--hopefully at local stores. I have Walmart, Target, Joanns, Michaels, Home Depot, Lowes; even a huge educational / school supply store named Stones (Raleigh, NC area).

Here's a post to the project I'm talking about with pictures of my current build:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/136381-repurpose-inexpensive-cardboard-childrens-playhouse-into-yard-haunt-mausoleum-4.html

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Closest thing I could find were slightly larger foam panels--30" x 40" vs. Dollar Tree's 20" x 40" foam board panels. But Staples' foam boards were over $7 *each*. Checked Michael's and they simple had overpriced 20" x 30" foam boards. Ended up buying a dozen black dollar tree foam board panels to have on hand. Didn't really calculate how many I'd need. Still interested though if anyone knows of an inexpensive source of larger-than-20x30 foam boards I may have overlooked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can find those foam core boards at Hobby Lobby or Michael's stores (here in Texas) if they are in your area. Or you can try art supply stores. Pretty much any place that offers Mat boards (used for picture framing) will have them. I have found them in 4'x8' sheets years ago when I used to use them. I just don't know how inexpensive they are now, Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This might sound strange but call a contractor. Ask them where you can find a local company that makes/cuts custom exterior doors. These companies take metal foam filled doors and cut out the inside so that window inserts can be installed. The cutouts are useless to them and they usually just throw them away!

The negative: You will have to separate the sheet metal from the foam, which you can do with good leather work gloves by slowly peeling the metal off the foam without breaking it. Takes a little practice but once you figure it out it's smooth sailing.

The positive: It's free!

I should add that the foam used for doors is regulated. The stuff I get has a 20 minute fire rating. They explained that as: the door (not just the foam) is designed to withstand direct fire for 20 minutes before failure. If you use a hot wire or similar to cut your foam it will NOT work on this type of foam!

The pieces I get are: 63" X 22" X 1 1/2". Here is a pic of one of the pieces, uncut with the metal removed. { Cauldron Creep for scale ;) }

foam.jpg

·
Registered
14,078 Posts
Mike, a year or so ago I bought from Lowes 1/4-inch insulation sheathing in an accordian-shape product. 4 feet x 50 feet, and I thought the 4 feet was a nice width to work with. Back then what Lowes carried was manufactured in a blue, extrudred polystyrene form (forgot who made the blue stuff as opposed to the pink). They were clearing it out for a different manufacturer they were going to stock so bought two large bundles of it for future projects at a sweet price. Figured 200 square feet would go along way when I started my facade work next year. And figured while I wouldn't have the depth in thickness to do much in the way of recessed texturing, I could always glue embellishments onto its surface or add spray texturing, cover in drylok, and paint appropriately. Lowes still carries this product (figure apx. $.225 cents a square foot). It only comes in the 50-foot length but if you have other projects you can use the balance of it up in another year, could be worth it in the long run. And it stores compactly. Here's a link to it on their website:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_304092-210-304092.0_0__?productId=3122451&Ntt=insulation+sheathing&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=insulation+sheathing&facetInfo=

One side of the foamboard will be scored with a "fold" valley (so it can fold easily), but the flip side lies pretty flat. I didn't find this at Home Depot when I looked so if your interested in it hopefully a Lowes near by you has it in-stock to see it in person and determine if it will work for you. I liked it because it is weatherproof and as I said can be dryloked for finishing like a thicker EPS foamboard.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe some type of underlayment for flooring that you can get in a large roll and cut into stripes to cover your space.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike, a year or so ago I bought from Lowes 1/4-inch insulation sheathing in an accordian-shape product. 4 feet x 50 feet, and I thought the 4 feet was a nice width to work with. Back then what Lowes carried was manufactured in a blue, extrudred polystyrene form (forgot who made the blue stuff as opposed to the pink). They were clearing it out for a different manufacturer they were going to stock so bought two large bundles of it for future projects at a sweet price. Figured 200 square feet would go along way when I started my facade work next year. And figured while I wouldn't have the depth in thickness to do much in the way of recessed texturing, I could always glue embellishments onto its surface or add spray texturing, cover in drylok, and paint appropriately. Lowes still carries this product (figure apx. $.225 cents a square foot). It only comes in the 50-foot length but if you have other projects you can use the balance of it up in another year, could be worth it in the long run. And it stores compactly. Here's a link to it on their website:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_304092-210-304092.0_0__?productId=3122451&Ntt=insulation+sheathing&pl=1¤tURL=?Ntt=insulation+sheathing&facetInfo=

One side of the foamboard will be scored with a "fold" valley (so it can fold easily), but the flip side lies pretty flat. I didn't find this at Home Depot when I looked so if your interested in it hopefully a Lowes near by you has it in-stock to see it in person and determine if it will work for you. I liked it because it is weatherproof and as I said can be dryloked for finishing like a thicker EPS foamboard.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe some type of underlayment for flooring that you can get in a large roll and cut into stripes to cover your space.
For $50 it may be well worth it, thanks!

This one, for ~$11 each, at 4' x 8' looked interesting too. Haven't calculated surface area I'd need yet to see which would be the better purchase. Probably the $50 one to have extra for any future facade work I may get into. Thanks again to all for the suggestions / help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts