Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching this almost all day as well as driving to different art supply stores and home improvement stores and have had no luck other the 2X8X1-1/2" thick DOW blue styrofoam EPS. I would like to find some more sizes but if this is all I can find this will be okay. Any leads to some suplliers? I also may call a few Stucco companies to see what they use. I know they use alot of foam trim as well as EPS sheets.

I know alot of the Cali and warmer climate people have a harder time finding it so Im having a hard time believing that its hard to find here in Jersey. Plus there are so many uses for it that someone has to carry it. Lowes said they will order a 4" thick 4X8 sheet of it at $36 for me...but I would have to buy 48 sheets @ over $1000 for the load. Ha!

Im actually quite mad at myself. I just replace the siding on a home Im renovating 2 weeks ago and ripped of 35+ sheets of 1/2"X4X8 sheets of the stuff and it all went in the dumpster and was carted off :( I could have made more than 60 stones from that gold mine.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I know the concrete foundation workers use it for insulating foundations below the ground in my area. Maybe they can hook you up?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All new construction homes (unless ordered) in my area are unfinished basements or crawl spaces and the lower level floors are insulated with fiberglass insulation. I build additions, glass rooms, renovations and carpentry for a living and I am having a hard time finding the stuff. Siding companies use EPS in 1/2" thick but I can get 1-1/2" from Lowes (but it has the beveled edges so its not a full 2' wide)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well this sux.. I looked it up, Dow Foam or something sold at Lowes. Apparently the color is not a big deal now, many companies make it in white, blue, pink, etc.. what you want to look for is the density. That said, I cant seem to find any sold anywhere near me at any store. Even online it seems they wont ship to CA. Anyone know of a site that ships it (and wont break it in shipment) to CA? The problem now is.. if I can get some tombstones for $5 to $10, especially after the season (for next year), what will the cost be to get some shipped to me. I would love to make a couple nice ones.. I assume a single 1" to 1.5" thick, 4' by 8' board would allow for a nice tombstone with a base, etc on it, but if it's going to cost me $10 or more to have one shipped, it may not be worth it. I would love to build a few bigger ones with lights in them, that would be kewl and worth it, but not for this year. :( Probably getting too late to get anything shipped out in time anyway before a few days prior to halloween. I would need a day or two if not more to make something, including paint time.

Incidentally, what pain do you use on this type of foam?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Axehill, I just got off the phone with the guy from the link you sent me. He was stoked on the tombstone idea and said he was waiting for someone to come around with that same idea. He tried getting people to do it but nobody was intrested. He just got a 3D scanner and has a 5-axis CNC and he wants to cut the tombstone out on that. He also carries any size / density EPS foam. I may be meeting with this guy tomorrow to talk about making these on his CNC. Ill still hand carve all the letters and cracks. Im so pumped up now! haha

·
Registered
438 Posts
SickInTheHead... if you wouldn't mind, can you ask the guy if he would ship some foam to CA? I am guessing they can't, but just curious if he can or not. If so, if you don't mind, ask him the price for a couple 4'8' sheets (or even 4' by 4' if it makes it easier to ship, or perhaps 2' by 2' chunks, can always glue them together). I'd love to get some by next week if it is possible.

Thanks. PS what is the link?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey Axehill, I just got off the phone with the guy from the link you sent me. He was stoked on the tombstone idea and said he was waiting for someone to come around with that same idea. He tried getting people to do it but nobody was intrested. He just got a 3D scanner and has a 5-axis CNC and he wants to cut the tombstone out on that. He also carries any size / density EPS foam. I may be meeting with this guy tomorrow to talk about making these on his CNC. Ill still hand carve all the letters and cracks. Im so pumped up now! haha
You suck... no seriously that would be nice if he can cut it out for you on the cnc machine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Keep us posted on how this goes, especially the price. I'm in NJ, Trenton area, but Lakewood is close enough if it's worth it. I use the 2 x 1 x 8 sheets from Home Depot. They are thin, but from a distance they work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SickInTheHead... if you wouldn't mind, can you ask the guy if he would ship some foam to CA? I am guessing they can't, but just curious if he can or not. If so, if you don't mind, ask him the price for a couple 4'8' sheets (or even 4' by 4' if it makes it easier to ship, or perhaps 2' by 2' chunks, can always glue them together). I'd love to get some by next week if it is possible.

Thanks. PS what is the link?
Italk to the guy tomorrow, He seemed reluctant to just sell me the foam and said he only does commercial work and doesnt sell to homeowners but when I mentioned the tombstone he got excited. I will find out what the deal is why its not in CA. Ill keep everyone posted!

·
Undead Handyman
557 Posts
Is that why we can't get it in CA? Not cold enough? We got snow here.. up in the mountains. :D
Corning Pink Extruded Polystyrene is available to all Home Depots in CA, though not all carry it. 2"x4'x8' sku 409926 The website leaves a great deal to be desired. In order to find it you must first log into a store by zipcode and then go to building materials>insulation>search by sku and then if that store has it, you can view it on the site. Imagine the business they'd (we'd:eek:) get if you could search by product and use the store locater to find the nearst location!?! F150 Board 2 In. x 48 In. x 96 In. - 270895 at The Home Depot

1 - 20 of 21 Posts