Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know where I can order very cheap fabric? I'm looking to cover the front of my house with a backdrop and need it to be 9 foot high (108", 3 yards) and about 38 foot (about 13 yards) wide. I will be painting it so not too concerned with the color, but trying to stick with solid colors. Also, since I'm painting this, I'd prefer if it was cotton or something paintable. Bed sheet thickness is fine. Fabrics like mesh won't work.

I'm hoping to keep my fabric costs under $75...

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Belat

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's my experience that online stores aren't so cheap once you pay for shipping, even on Amazon. Instead, look in thrift stores and fabric outlets that specialize in bolt ends. Another option is weed barrier, you can find large rolls for cheap sometimes. It isn't cotton but other members have had good results with painting it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Get sheets from goodwill or other thrift shops. You can also check ebay for cheap used sheet but thrift stores are your best bet. That is the cheapest you can get. Probably won't be solid but if they are cotton you can dye them in concentrated black RIT dye on the stove and get them a little more even.

There are lots of places you can get fabric online fairly cheaply, Amazon, eBay, but for your budget I'd really suggest you hit the thrift stores.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm looking to make a "circus tent" this year and best I've found is buying bolts of fabric.
So far in my search this has been the best for me, I have not checked any other places such as the flea market or anything else though.

Fabric bolt Joann link

1,385 Posts
You can try JoAnn Fabrics.. they always have some kind of coupon usually 40% off a single cut of fabric but just last week there was a 60% off coupon. Last fall I needed enough 8 mil clear plastic to surround the hot tub deck, using coupons it was almost nothing. I've also ordered bolts of burlap online using coupons. The one draw back with the coupons is it has to be regular price, if it's on sale it won't work unless it's a week of the rare 20% off your total including sale items. .

I will also second bed sheets... LOVE second hand bed sheets... use them for everything from costumes to monster mud figures to back drops.

A last more pricey thought is Harbor Freight Drop cloths. The 9'X12' one is in the $17 range I believe the smaller 4'X12' is normally $9 But a few weeks ago they were on coupon for $6 Harbor Freight also has coupons for 20% off on 1 item with a purchase...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Weed cloth is fairly cheap. I'd stay away from the poly type and look for the fabric type. A pro nursery may be a good place to look for wide widths. It glues together with a glue gun pretty well too. For general fabric, try an Army surplus store. Most of them have rolls of fabric.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts