Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to think of ways to do a couple of roman pillars next to my front door for halloween. There's a good chance of rain, so my original idea of using cardboard sheets is out (a shame, since we have a lot of junk cardboard at my work). Then I thought of styrofoam! I'd just need two long planks to make the columns, then four smaller rectangles to be the top and bottom supports.

Thing is, I have no idea where to get cheap foam. Are hardware stores a good idea? Or should I be looking at stationers?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I build everything out of foam from Home Depot. 4X8 sheet is around $15. you can get quite a few tombstones out of it. My columns are made out of it too.
-Z

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. Foam insulation sheets work well but by the time you buy a 2"x4'x8' sheet you're paying over $30 per sheet. I think back to all of the styrofoam I've thrown away over the years and shed a little tear! I've heard that appliance stores have scrap pieces but the ones I've called act like I'm from Mars. Our recycling center doesn't accept styrofoam so that's a dead end too.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Dumpster diving is always good. I always try to find out when Lowe's and Home Depot are getting in a new shipment of trailers. They use big foam blocks as spacers and get rid of them after the trailers are assembled. I discovered this when I saw a bunch of new trailers in the parking lot one day and then saw stacks of styrofoam just sitting there for the taking.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys :) I actually got very lucky - I logged onto freecycle this week and a lady 20 minutes from me was giving away polystyrene panels! She'd gotten a new set of wardrobes or something and had loads of foam sheets just sitting in her front garden. All I need to do is give them a wipe down.

Now I'm off to find a thread on how to turn a few of these into gravestones :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts