Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a prop I want to make for Halloween 2009. It is an unbrella stand from Sirius Blacks house. ( Harry Potter / Order of the phoenix). I only see it a few times. When the one female character trips over it when Harry and the body guards first walk down the hall of Sirius Blacks house. and again when the weesley Twins hang:( the ear over the stairs and the cat goes for it. It looks like a two or three toe foot of some creature. I could real use a picture of it. But I don't know how to get one from the dvd. and I have not seen a picture of the thing anywhere. anyone know what I could do?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm sure there are more technical ways of getting it, but if your computer has a DVD drive, just play it on the computer full screen... pause at the best frame and press <ctrl> and <Print Screen> at the same time. It will give you an image you can paste into a word processor or, even better, a paint program.

If the DVD program you use allows for zooming do that first, then ctrl-print screen and you'll get the best shot that I know how to.

I'm sure there's a better way, but this way is pretty easy.

If you don't have a dvd drive in your computer, your guess is good as mine.

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
Its a troll's foot umbrella stand according to my wife (a true Harry Potter nut.) You can probably get a better view of a trolls foot attached to a troll in The Sorcerer's Stone bathroom scene or visit the-leaky-cauldron.org where all Potter fans hang out ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I can not get this to work out for me. I can paste the picture in to word or into paint, but once I close the DVD palyer, I loose the image in the other program. It does not make any difference if I save the file or not. The only way I can get screen capture is to take a digital picture of the screen then upload it from my camera.

If I could get this to work, it would be so handy for making props. I am I just missing somthing or I am just confused.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
When i made my resident evil dogs i needed good pictures of the dogs which were hard to find so i just paused the DVD or used the freeze button on my TV and snapped a picture of the TV with my camera. It worked but looked like crap.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Most (if not all) DVD player programs present the video as an overlay & print screen won't capture from overlays. Look in the players menus & see if there's a screen grab option.
Well spank my a$$ and call me Charlie, I did not know that.

·
Registered
543 Posts
For the print screen capture to work hardware acceleration for graphics must be turned off.
Right click on desktop, properties, settings, advanced, troubleshoot, set slider to none.

An easier way may be to use a free player with screen capture ability such as KMplayer. I have had problems with the aspect ratio being wrong when I use that though. Intervideo WinDVD works quite well but is not free unless it came with your computer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts