Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all if this thread is not in the right section please move it.

Anyway. I have not been finding much at Homegoods and Tjmaxx as that is where the better Decorations are at. But for some reason they have been lacking this year. Well for me I don't know about the rest of you.. So where else do you usually see more High quality decorations for sale at? none animated props. Because you guys have awesome goolish décor. I don't mean stuff that costs thousands of dollars. Just not the cheap look.. Think party city or light plastic style. If it helps I live in Southern California. I can also go online if I have to. I know about Grandin road (I think that's how it is spelled) already. I wish I could make stuff but I don't have much time to spare, Thank you for you're input. :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I usually find really good stuff at Homegoods, etc. Home Depot has some good stuff this year, so does Target if they ever put their Halloween out. I haven't looked this week, we are in Hurricane Irma mode here. I can tell you that the secret to Homegoods, etc. is to go often and hit a few of them if you have multiple stores in your area.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I guess it depends on what kind to decor your looking for. If you want the typical Halloween type of stuff, then check out the many threads on this forum regarding specific stores and what they have this year.

When we decorate, we have a general theme, like Haunted Victorian Manor, or Haunted Castle. We scour the Goodwill and thrift stores, as well as services like OfferUp, looking for items that will fit the theme. Things like picture/art frames, candlesticks, silver, sconces, and so on.

We will also scour the usual places people find HW decorations: Walmart, Costco, Target, Grandin Road, eBay, Amazon, Sprite HW, etc., and look for very specific items. One year, we needed a lot of spiders, so looked everywhere for spiders; big, small, and in between. Another year, we found the local Dollar stores carried a cheap LED candlestick and decided to buy all of them and use them as part of the decor.

Some items need to be reworked after purchase. For example corpsing skeletons or painting an item black. Or some other modification. And, of course, we end up making a lot of our own props, as sometimes it's the only way to get what you want, or what you want for a decent price.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
most of us (i am sure) have spent years collecting a piece here and a piece there...I think HomeGoods and Grandin Road have the highest quality but GR is very expensive and HG is hit and miss.

My very favorite Halloween piece, however, is a One of a Kind (because the artist never made more than mine) Amazing Jack-o-Lantern. That came from Etsy.

So i guess my answer is: anywhere and everywhere. Patience, my little ghoul, patience. :)

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Pauley88, I feel your pain... The crud I see for sale is scandalously overpriced. Those of us that have been doing this for years have accumulated DIY. Props and skills. Crafting these things can turn into a very rewarding hobby. The smiles I see on Halloween Night, NOTHING can touch that. But you need tools. Time. And a certain amount of aptitude. Plus you just can't beat hand crafted props and tombstones.
As for where to go to get store bought...I'd start at Walmart.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm on the central coast. Over here Orchard Supply and ACE hardware and Michaels Crafts Store carry some nice stuff

·
Registered
78 Posts
Craigslist has been a good place to get a variety of decent stuff affordably, for us anyway. We hit Goodwill, Value Village etc bc people from all economic means donate so you can get some *really* nice things at thrift store $. Yard/estate sales CAN be good, but they're a lot of work for little payoff IMO -unless the ad says Halloween, and even then it's hit or miss. (Estate sales in old neighborhoods is where I've gotten a lot of the stuff I use for the base of displays, really great if you're going for a haunted mansion-y vibe.)

If we ever have retail amounts of money to pay, Etsy is our first 'stop' online, then Amazon, then eBay, then Home Depot. Offline, Costco, Pier 1, and Fred Meyer (in the Pacific Northwest) ~usually~ have a couple of killer deals on quality items. We're generally thrifty (read: poor old folks) so we tend to buy things we can repurpose or rework to get the look without shelling out a ton of cash. If you have a few minutes here & there and a little creativity, you can find *tons* of filler items at Dollar Tree that can *look* high end with a few minutes invested.

Oh, and local hardware stores, pharmacies, etc often have some decent decorations. A hardware store near our house has a few things every year I'd give my eye teeth for, but that's about what they cost and I'm kind of attached to my eye teeth, sooooo. :eek:

One more. Put the word out to friends and family about what you're looking for. Be super specific. I do that and it rarely fails that I get what I'm looking for, sometimes for free. It pays to widen your net. Two downsides to this method tho 1) you could get more than you bargained for and it's hard to say no since they took the time to go out of their way to do you the favor. And, 2) they expect to see it worked in somehow.

Reactions: Hallow-art

·
Registered
14,231 Posts
Kind of depends on what you are looking for. Not mentioned above would be Pottery Barn. They have a sale ending today in fact, 30% off Entire Order, Code SAVEMORE. Free shipping too.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I have found many of my favorite pieces at Ross, which is similar to TJ Max. It's hit or miss from year to year and you have to be ready to pounce when it hits the shelf. Pier One and Pottery Barn also carry some nice things, just pricier. I have a huge weakness for Halloween kitchen/dining items like serving pieces, dinnerware, etc. and it is hard to find anything outside the generic discount store stuff. It's worth the hunt when you find something you really love though!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,084 Posts
So basically we're saying there's no ONE place, there's ALL THE PLACES!!:D

Which is true. If you don't want animatronics then stay away from Spirit, other than that you really do have to hit multiples places multiple times this time of year. Right now all the stores, from Walmart on up, will be putting all their stuff out & you just have to go to all of the often. Once October hits though, it's mostly over by then.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have so much now I limit myself to things that are useful, (I like to replace mundane items with Halloween ones and have a full time Halloween kitchen and bathroom), or just extraordinary. My favorite pieces I got from Home Goods, Target, Ross, At Home, Tuesday Morning, Lowes, Pottery Barn, and Crate & Barrel.

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
I look outside the orange & black aisle. Antique stores, science surplus stores, thrift stores, estate sales, Facebook oddities groups - anywhere I can find "real world" items instead of the often shoddily made equivalents sold as Halloween props. Vintage clothing for costumes too. Sometimes real world items are cheaper than "props", sometimes more expensive. I figure it all comes out in the wash.

The big trade-offs are (lack of) suitability for inclement weather; physical safety; and greater likelihood of going on walkabout without your permission.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Man ! from what I am reading everyone is having a bad year. I am glad to hear that most of us get comfort in making our reaper project. I too have been hit but am pulling myself up and have completed my project. I am going to send out this week end. But I am a little unsure about sending it. My victim may be in the path of Irma. Should I hold off on sending or go ahead?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I hope I am not repeating but, I love going to Hobby Lobby or Michaels (do not know if they are in California)and getting great items to add and make simple decorations much grander. They will have your ravens, Spanish moss, bare branches, sisel twine, burlap, lights and other items on sale. Think outside the box on making your decorations and they look much more impressive. Hope that helps. You can buy Spanish moss in bulk online.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,084 Posts
If you're looking for unique, hit up Etsy. You'll get one of a kind stuff & it's usually hand made, but they do have a lot of vintage stuff too which is generally a little more well made than today's stuff.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
Target, Michaels and Big Lots have stepped up their game this year. You will probably find some gems in between the usual Halloween items. Also you can probably find all sorts of items at Goodwill and thrift stores that you can simply spray paint black. Does not require any skill set and gives you a nice gothic look. Especially decorative candle holders.

·
The Haunting Girl
962 Posts
I do cruise the big box stores for items, but they typically don't have much in the way of quality décor anymore. Do look for a Halloween/Seasonal section in every store you go into! You will stumble across the rare gem among the throw away décor.

Yard sales, Craigslist, and Freecycle are great ways to find unique/cheap items. Try to think outside the box, and don't be afraid of doing a little work yourself. Sometimes something just needs a little paint or you just have to put the pieces together yourself. One of my best props was one I never set out to find/build. I just happen to have a carved faux pumpkin from Freecycle, a male mannequin torso from a friend, and my husband's old black hooded sweatshirt. I put the three together and Creepy Guy was born! He's been in every version of my haunt except the year I moved.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know how far you are from Canoga Park in CA, but there is a store there called Traditions, christmastraditions.com - they have a ton of awesome stuff - they have an instagram too traditions_store so you can see what they have and if its to your taste.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts