Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I seem to be having so much trouble finding decorations this year!

Where do you buy bottles, foam pumpkins and fake rats, bats, spiders, etc???

I've gone to walmart, michaels, hobby lobby, halloween usa, halloween express.....
bottles don't have lids or corks. the bottles i do have are just things that have been collected over the years.
i have no idea where to find faux pumpkins. they didnt have them at the halloween stores or craft stores.
walmart did have some rats, spiders and bats but they were all flat plastic. or There were beanie spiders.
I've never had so much trouble finding things before this year! lol

Where do you find your decorations??

·
I'll get you my pretty!
550 Posts
i get my bottles either from charity shops (goodwill) or from things i have used in the house (alcohol, olive oil bottles etc)

i think most people on this forum have said your dollar stores were one of the best places for stuff so have you tried there for the rats & such?

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Big Lots. they have rats and spiders and snakes and a decent selection of other stuff as well. Foam pumpkins I normally get at Garden Ridge. Odd and weird bottles I get at Hobby Lobby but usually in the spring and summer, Haven't looked recently.

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
i get my bottles either from charity shops (goodwill) or from things i have used in the house (alcohol, olive oil bottles etc)

i think most people on this forum have said your dollar stores were one of the best places for stuff so have you tried there for the rats & such?

Yep, yep and yep.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the bottles I have right now came from things around the house :) My goodwill is very poorly stocked. It's even difficult to find prop clothes there sometimes!

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've gone to dollar general and family dollar. They aren't very helpful with decorations this year. I have head that dollar tree is excellent. There's one but it's about an hour away, i haven't been able to make it out there yet. Hopefully soon! :)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
It is probably too late this year, but go online and look up government surplus sales. If there are any in your area check them out. You will be AMAZED at some of the items for sale. You may have to buy a pallet lot, but it can be worth it. REAL scientific equipment for pennies on the dollar, surplus military and lab uniforms (toxic waste zombie uprising, anybody?) gas masks, A/V equipment...the list goes on...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I shop Goodill every year starting late September, foam pumpkins for $2'00 each, these are the average size. Need to get there early, they sell out fast.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Hello! I seem to be having so much trouble finding decorations this year!

Where do you buy bottles, foam pumpkins and fake rats, bats, spiders, etc???

I've gone to walmart, michaels, hobby lobby, halloween usa, halloween express.....
bottles don't have lids or corks. the bottles i do have are just things that have been collected over the years.
i have no idea where to find faux pumpkins. they didnt have them at the halloween stores or craft stores.
walmart did have some rats, spiders and bats but they were all flat plastic. or There were beanie spiders.
I've never had so much trouble finding things before this year! lol

Where do you find your decorations??

Bottles-- this year I bought a number of them from Michaels. Our stores had bottles with corks in them. I suspect if yours didn't someone took them out or never put them in when stocking on the shelves. If you have another store in your area check them out.

Pier One also has bottles.

If you find bottles you like that don't have corks, you should be able to pick up corks at hardware stores like ACE, Home Depot, Lowes. You might have to ask to find what department. You can also make your own bottle or jar covers, using brown paper and jute twine, cording, or raffia. I'm sure that not all of your bottles will have liquid in them so this method would work for those capless containers.

Foam Pumpkins -- gee our Michaels has lots of these. On sale recently too. Plus Michaels also has coupons in the ad flyers that you can use towards them.

Joanne Fabrics carries Funkin Pumpkins. They put these on sale often too.

Target has precut ones in the store.

Fake Rats, bats, spiders, etc. -- BIG LOTS is great. I bought realistic brown mice there for $3 each. Love these guys -- to real almost. BL also had giant rats -- I call them sewer rats. Bought a couple of them this year also. BL also has latex hanging cord bats. Have those too and love them. This stuff has been out at BL for a month or so, so not sure what their inventory is any more.

DOLLAR TREE has lots of stuff like this if not in the halloween section then look in the toy section. I saw a post by someone of a snake that you put in water that expands and hold its shape for a day or two. Looked great.

I found some great, maybe 1-2 inch, soft, wiggly, jelly-like spiders at PARTY CITY last year. I thought they would look great with a clear nylon thread run through them (maybe with something like a bead on the bottom to anchor it from pulling through the spider) and then attached to some overhead support. A little wind or movement near them makes them look like they move and are real. Party City has a decent Halloween section.

I've bought some great animal props at BUY COSTUMES.com. Great snakes and toads. Bats. Just bought a cool flapping wings bat that I absolutely love. BC occasionally runs specials with low cost or free shipping. If you sign up at their site you can get emails about their pricing breaks.

All of the above places I've purchased from and have been happy with my mdse and buying experience.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everybody for the suggestions! I think it must be a thing for this area of Ohio this year! Even the dollar trees that everyone was having a lot of luck with have scarce Hallow decor this year. I actually found a couple crows and a bag of bugs at dollar tree, but everything else was socks, window clings, and a few little kids costumes.

michaels out here has the pirate mini town collections, some signs, and the popular decapitated bride and groom.

today i also stopped at goodwill and found a lantern for 5$ which i quickly snatched up. I then discovered they had a wedding dress for 25. hmmm...... i may make my own decapitated bride... only she would be static.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Sounds like you got a couple of good deals. Hunting for stuff you like can be frustrating.

Just wanted to mention that I found that the DOLLAR TREES in my area (3 of them) all got Halloween stuff in stages. Every couple of weeks more got put out that was different from the previous period. Not all stores had everything that the other did either. I found that I would make the rounds every few weeks to all the stores and it usually paid off in finding what I liked. Same goes for BIG LOTS (3 in my area also).

·
Registered
470 Posts
As for the pumpkins, when all else fails you could buy real ones. I usually pick up foam pumpkins during the year at yard sales, but alway like to have fresh pumpkins for decorating too. I think I just enjoy the smells and the mess of carving them.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like you got a couple of good deals. Hunting for stuff you like can be frustrating.

Just wanted to mention that I found that the DOLLAR TREES in my area (3 of them) all got Halloween stuff in stages. Every couple of weeks more got put out that was different from the previous period. Not all stores had everything that the other did either. I found that I would make the rounds every few weeks to all the stores and it usually paid off in finding what I liked. Same goes for BIG LOTS (3 in my area also).
That's a good point. I have at least a 45 minute drive to the nearest store from my house lol so i was trying to avoid that. But for the sake of awesome decorations it's worth it.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As for the pumpkins, when all else fails you could buy real ones. I usually pick up foam pumpkins during the year at yard sales, but alway like to have fresh pumpkins for decorating too. I think I just enjoy the smells and the mess of carving them.
Definately! I always have at least a dozen real pumpkins, even if I don't get around to carving them all. I wanted some foam ones for extra in house decorations :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts