Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find a small little motor to make a light weight candelabra go up and down from the ceiling. It's going next to a crank ghost but another large crank ghost apparatus will definitely not fit. I have one of those prop spinner motors that i will use as a last resort but id rather have the candelabra go slowly up and down instead. I am not mechanically inclined either so i need to buy one already built. Any ideas where to find something like this?

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
First figure out the weight of the candelabra. Simply calling it "light weight" and building it so doesn't mean it will be light weight enough for some small motors.

I would suggest a power wheels motor from one of those electric powered child's vehicles. They have an impressive amount of power, they're smaller than a can of soda, and they'll run on 6v and 12v power (and probably 18v and 24v as well, or so some hobbyist vehicle upgrades suggest) as well as reversible current. They also have a variety of gearboxes available. Anyway, what you want is a cam and lever system with the cable to the candelabra attached to the end of the lever. With this, you could effectively mount the motor, cam and lever in a corner, run the cable through small pulleys (or even just some sealed eyebolts) and hang the candelabra anywhere it will fit. The diameter of the cam will determine the up and down range of the candelabra.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,773 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I would suggest adding a line from your existing FCG rig. Just add an extra pulley or two.

I added two extra lines (total of 5) to my FCG rig to make the legs move on my Mime marionette a few years ago. The body lifted up and down along with the arms and legs moving independently. This will work if the candelabra is close by.

Eric

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I would go with a wiper motor. More than enough power, VERY quiet, and the speed could be controlled with either a lower operating voltage or a PWM speed controller. I've used one of those Power Wheels motors... VERY loud! But, lots of power.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This Site has a bunch of cool parts...soundboards, servos, lights, audio, and more

http://www.cowlacious.com/
Im using one of the servos to drive my talking Sally from Nightmare before Christmas, they are pretty good.

I havent ordered anything from them yet, but monsterguts has alot of cool stuff also (they sell windshield washer motors)....

hope this helps

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions so far! I guess I need to teach myself some basic electrical skills because I wouldn't even know how to put a plug on that madmax motor. Please don't laugh! Adding a line to existing crank ghost sounds like something I could handle as long as it can handle the extra weight of the candelabra which is only 7 ounces. I was thinking of just hacking an existing cheap prop out there and replacing it with the Candelabra but maybe it's time I learned something new!

·
cheap and easy
2,294 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions so far! I guess I need to teach myself some basic electrical skills because I wouldn't even know how to put a plug on that madmax motor. Please don't laugh! Adding a line to existing crank ghost sounds like something I could handle as long as it can handle the extra weight of the candelabra which is only 7 ounces. I was thinking of just hacking an existing cheap prop out there and replacing it with the Candelabra but maybe it's time I learned something new!

I also have that motor in a case with the power plug attached $18.50 and that includes shipping but getting this prop to work will depend on weight. I'm working on something with this motor that might fit your needs. I will try to finish it tonight, or this weekend. If it works it will be as simple as mounting the motor and connecting your prop to the line...then the prop will go up then back down...distant is variable

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I would go with a wiper motor. More than enough power, VERY quiet, and the speed could be controlled with either a lower operating voltage or a PWM speed controller. I've used one of those Power Wheels motors... VERY loud! But, lots of power.
Power Wheels motors are loud only when attached to a plastic power wheels gear box. Once you get the motor out of all the plastic enshrouding it, they are about as loud as a 20 inch box fan on the low setting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also have that motor in a case with the power plug attached $18.50 and that includes shipping but getting this prop to work will depend on weight. I'm working on something with this motor that might fit your needs. I will try to finish it tonight, or this weekend. If it works it will be as simple as mounting the motor and connecting your prop to the line...then the prop will go up then back down...distant is variable
That sounds exactly like what i would need! my flickering led candelabra is 7 1/4 ounces. Let me know if you can get it to work......

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Power Wheels motors are loud only when attached to a plastic power wheels gear box. Once you get the motor out of all the plastic enshrouding it, they are about as loud as a 20 inch box fan on the low setting.
My kids would kill me if i dismantled their power wheels barbie jeep however!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would suggest adding a line from your existing FCG rig. Just add an extra pulley or two.

I added two extra lines (total of 5) to my FCG rig to make the legs move on my Mime marionette a few years ago. The body lifted up and down along with the arms and legs moving independently. This will work if the candelabra is close by.

Eric
very cool idea! Do you have a close up pic of the rig and how you did it by any chance?

·
cheap and easy
2,294 Posts
That sounds exactly like what i would need! my flickering led candelabra is 7 1/4 ounces. Let me know if you can get it to work......

Since I last posted this is what I came up with..keep in mind this is a test of concept and the length of travel (about 4 inches in video) can be change by me to a longer up and down movement. The skull is 7oz and the spider is 8ozs and it had no problem moving those...

pay no attention to the mess on the back wall or my work table...I paint, saw, wire things up, hot glue on that table about 6 hours a day.

·
Registered
854 Posts

Eric
I would love to see the rig on your prop. I want to make an evil clown the same way.
HM

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
But without the gearbox doesn't the motor turn too fast for practical prop use?

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Depends on the application and the voltage. At 6v, the rpms are half that at 12v. And making a quiet reduction gearbox (using the gears in the PW gearbox) isn't difficult. The noise comes from all the plastic shrouding - the outer shell of the gearbox, the shroud around the motor, and the plastic most of the vehicle is made of. Each one of those you can get rid of, the quieter the motor will be.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts