Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I live in the suburbs and I have no idea where I can get sheets of burlap. I really want the old, brown burlap one would use for scarecrows.

Any ideas? What dumpsters should I be diving in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where to find burlap?

Hobby Lobby has several colors of burlap including the regular brown.
Hobby Lobby has it on sale this week for 1.99 yd.
Hancock Fabrics or any good fabric store should have it too. Good luck!

·
Registered
916 Posts
TK, are you looking for the more tightly wooven standard burlap that can be found at most home improvement stores or the errosion control fabric (seen in pic below) that is used in heavey duty landscaping applications?

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just plain old brown burlap -- like old seed sacks.

Might make a fieldtrip to Joanne Fabrics -- or just check the garden center the next time I'm at Lowes.

Thanks for all the help -- I feel foolish for asking. Guess it's easier to type something in then drive all over trying to guess who would have it! :eek:

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Never underestimate the effectiveness of weathering your own burlap.

A few years ago, I bought a few different shades of burlap from JoAnn's (early August) for a witch I was making.
I decided to let it sit in the sun for a couple of weeks (and the dew and whatnot - no rain in SoCal in the summer). I made a point of bunching it up and letting it sit for a week, and then unbunching, re-bunching, and letting it sit for another week - I think I did this for either 3 or 4 weeks on a shelf in my back yard.

Ended up with some wonderfully discolored, aged burlap. Only a couple spiders to shake out after all was said and done (once again, was on a shelf, not on the ground).

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to Lowes and saw they have a garden roll of burlap (3'x24') for $10. It looks good -- great for a backdrop, but not quite tight enough on the weave for a scarecrow face.

Of course, I still bought a roll! :)

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
You can get it at joann fabrics. Burlap is pretty cheap anyway and with a 40% or 50% off coupon in tow, it's really cheap. Plus, they have several different shades and the huge rolls, so you can get as much as you want.

I bought my burlap last year from Joann's also. I liked having the choice of shades.

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
Just plain old brown burlap -- like old seed sacks.

Might make a fieldtrip to Joanne Fabrics -- or just check the garden center the next time I'm at Lowes.

Thanks for all the help -- I feel foolish for asking. Guess it's easier to type something in then drive all over trying to guess who would have it! :eek:

Heck don't feel foolish. Foolish would be driving around when you have the forum here to ask first. BTW I like the pictured Scarecrow.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I bought some at Lowe's and unrolled some on the driveway. Then I folded over a large section, did a center mark and drew a circle around it so it went from edge to edge. I cut out the circle and put it over my foam head. Instant scarecrow head with a tight looking weave. I'll do a couple more with different effects.

·
Registered
327 Posts
There is store near me called Worldwide Liquidators that sells a lot of discontinued and refurbished/returned stuff from stores. I noticed on mt last trip they had old potato sacks (think childhood sack races!) in bins there. They had some writing on them, but they were a rather tight weave and were aged VERY nicely! You might try looking for something like that...craigslist, or Tractor supply company or something...

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm really glad I saw this thread because I need some too! I used to work at Joanns and I know they have some but I would much prefer the loose kind! Guess I'm off to Lowes!

·
Registered
735 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts