Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
535 Posts
Well for latex i use ben nyes latex its a thin grade and get it from fxsupply.com A great group of people and very nice to deal with. Now for pallets if you have a firework store near by they get there shipments in on pallets and i feel sure they would be more then happy to give them to you :) Ask the grocery store too.

·
Banned
535 Posts
Its a lot thicker. When im making appliances i use a makeup latex but when making something like hands feet etc to be filled with foam... i use rd 407. Monstermakers sells it also and so does screamline studios. You can use rd407 to make appliances and such but i find it easier to use a thinner latex. Preference really.

·
Banned
535 Posts
OH if making something large dont get a thin latex like a makeup latex it will cost you a BUNDLE!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me When you need something thick go mask latex rd407. Or else your wallet will be DRY!!! :) It just takes way toooooooo many coats

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool,cool. Question ( darn i got to many!)-- can it be painted with acryllics, and stained with a stain? Because i am wanting it for like a skin covered book, or other larger props. The other latex, ben nye, i should use for prosthetic type things right? And paint it with make up and cream type crap? lol.Thanks.

·
Banned
535 Posts
Cool,cool. Question ( darn i got to many!)-- can it be painted with acryllics, and stained with a stain? Because i am wanting it for like a skin covered book, or other larger props. The other latex, ben nye, i should use for prosthetic type things right? And paint it with make up and cream type crap? lol.Thanks.
Well the acrylics i dont know never used them but one thing for creme make up is to use a castor sealer before creme make up( you just brush on or stipple it on so the latex doesnt break down over time). Now i dont know about putting stain on top of that or by itself but i would guess it would wipe off...So i would use the castor sealer then rub on some brown creme make up and you will have to apply yearly most likley but its not rocket science so. Castor sealer is not pricey so no worries there. thats what i would do anyway. Easy enough.....maybe someone can elaborate about the acrylics though sounds more permanent.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Another good place to look for pallets for free is Craigslist. That way you can avoid having to ask for them. But, if you don't mind asking people and you live in a relatively large town or city there is no shortage of pallets. What are you building with your pallets, if you don't me asking?

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
We have a lumber yard near that give us pallets... The manufaturing co that my husband works at have larger pallets that we get free..... So MANY places have them that they would love for you to take them off their hands.

Latex.... I buy expired latex from cementex.com for my prop building. Its fairly cheap for a whole gallon of it !

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Junkie dude---I am using them (possibly) for a shack ( like another member's) or for crates. I really am not sure what else...?
Oh I am excited to see what you make. You will have to post pics of your progress. I love building stuff with pallets, they are a great resource. Plus if you can find older ones you don't need to "age" the finished product as much as you would if you used new lumber. I have a few projects completed using them and a few I am working on. Right now I am building a mine cart and my next project is a shack as well. Here is a pic of a crate I built using entirely pallets.

And this is video of the crate I made entirely of pallets.

YouTube - crate comp2

Here are some fence pillars I built using pallets as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts